Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

RotoFlow Fuel Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RotoFlow Fuel Tanks

Anybody used one of these?? They sound interesting and I'm just converting a plane from glow to gas.....DLE20..........and was thinking of trying one.......a 12oz ought to be sufficient or maybe even a 10oz. Would like to hear any experiences with this tank.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: RotoFlow Fuel Tanks

Andy, Isn't the smallest one they make 16oz? Dan
Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do make a 10 oz
Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 PM
gregg660
My Feedback: (2)

I have 4 of these. One 12Oz on a dle20, two 24s on dle 50 and 85,one 32 on a da120. This will be the second season on the first 3. I have flown one of the 24's again a few times this year with no issues. Seems to be as advertised.
Gregg
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 AM
ricardinho

i am using a da 100 with one of the 40oz tanks...so how do you like it on the 120...never used one so this is new to me...any issues at all? thanks pat
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I have 4 roto flows. All in warbirds. G62, Dle55,30,20.
They work great. I'll never buy another clunk on fuel line tank.

Chris923
Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
ricardinho

thanks chris..looking forward to trying one out...pat
Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have two of them. Not used yet, but will be going into my next build with a OS GT 22.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 AM
djwigles

Same here. I have 2 of them(16oz for oiland 24ozfor gas) going on 3rd summer in my 50cc.

It actually surprised me that when you drain the tank, there is only fumes left. I didn't think that the clunkless design would of still did that.

Knock on wood, but I have not had fuel related issues since installing. They may be 3 times the price of standard clunk tank but by the time you figure your time, fuel stoppers and line over 2-3 years i think you surpass the cost of the Rotoflow. Only thing is check the dimensions of the tanks, they are designed,shaped differently then clunk tanks.

Buy it! You will not be dissapointed.

Steve
Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: djwigles

Same here. I have 2 of them(16oz for oiland 24ozfor gas) going on 3rd summer in my 50cc.

It actually surprised me that when you drain the tank, there is only fumes left. I didn't think that the clunkless design would of still did that.

Knock on wood, but I have not had fuel related issues since installing. They may be 3 times the price of standard clunk tank but by the time you figure your time, fuel stoppers and line over 2-3 years i think you surpass the cost of the Rotoflow. Only thing is check the dimensions of the tanks, they are designed,shaped differently then clunk tanks.

Buy it! You will not be dissapointed.

Steve
It is interesting that the seals are lasting a couple seasons at least. That was the missing piece, longevity. It should be a good design as long as the seals last.....

But for me, since changing to tanks without stoppers, any fuel related issue I had went away. That's the reason I use water bottles. The cap seals better than anything else I've found.The fittings are sealed with neoprene washers, and the klunk is genuine filtered Walbro. These tanks are super lightweight and inexpensive.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I saw these Rotoflow fuel tanks advertised I actually busted out laughing. "Better Mousetrap" immediately came to mind. My worry would be the seals on the moving tubes leaking and sucking air. For me, why replace what works, and why add a possible air leak point(s) in the fuel system, but that is only my opinion. Glad to hear that some are using them with success, but I'll stick with the old clunk tank and Walbro filter clunks.

AV8TOR
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 AM
gade600sdi

Its a gimmick. Its heavy with all that brass. The seals wont last and when one fails, you will suck air and leak fuel in your plane. Could result in a dead stick. Proven tank is dubro or sullivan use the new metal caps sullivan makes. Bullet proof.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

When I saw these Rotoflow fuel tanks advertised I actually busted out laughing. ''Better Mousetrap'' immediately came to mind. My worry would be the seals on the moving tubes leaking and sucking air. For me, why replace what works, and why add a possible air leak point(s) in the fuel system, but that is only my opinion. Glad to hear that some are using them with success, but I'll stick with the old clunk tank and Walbro filter clunks.

AV8TOR
Kinda what I thought about the Rotoflow tanks also. There is so much talk about how bad the DuBro tanks are but I've never had a failure with one ... and thats a lot of tanks over quite a few years. I've never tried the water bottle tank yet .... I might like those and will have to try one someday. I have used the Bennett, Nalgene bottle tank before and liked that quite a bit. This style of tank is also quite common in helis where they have been used for a very long time with good results.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: MTK

It is interesting that the seals are lasting a couple seasons at least. That was the missing piece, longevity. It should be a good design as long as the seals last.....

But for me, since changing to tanks without stoppers, any fuel related issue I had went away. That's the reason I use water bottles. The cap seals better than anything else I've found.The fittings are sealed with neoprene washers, and the klunk is genuine filtered Walbro. These tanks are super lightweight and inexpensive.

When I came back to gas 4 years ago, I used DuBro tanks and rubber stoppers for gas. Both tanks I built leaked at the stoppers. The stoppers were undersized compared to stoppers for glow fuel.

Switched to water bottle types 3 years ago and sourced plastic fittings, better gas line and eventually square bottles with large mouth openings. Coupled with genuine Walbro klunks, all of my gas tanks are now converted to this style and have been great. Leaks are gone and tank contents are simple to see since tanks are transparent. I don't glue anything permanently; all tanks are easily serviced but so far, none has required servicing.....

BTW- I offer all partsfrom my findings to fellow modelers for a mininal charge. Contact me directly if interested
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: MTK
When I came back to gas 4 years ago, I used DuBro tanks and rubber stoppers for gas. Both tanks I built leaked at the stoppers. The stoppers were undersized compared to stoppers for glow fuel.

Switched to water bottle types 3 years ago and sourced plastic fittings, better gas line and eventually square bottles with large mouth openings. Coupled with genuine Walbro klunks, all of my gas tanks are now converted to this style and have been great. Leaks are gone and tank contents are simple to see since tanks are transparent. I don't glue anything permanently; all tanks are easily serviced but so far, none has required servicing.....

BTW- I offer all parts from my findings to fellow modelers for a mininal charge. Contact me directly if interested
Interesting!

Yes, I have noticed the DuBro stoppers being slightly undersized but as soon as the screw is tightened even a little bit, they seem secure. I tighten a bit more and they're good to go. I wonder if the leak problem is related to the available fuel in certain areas of the country .... like the Walbro carb problems that some people have and others don't?! But.... I believe you use Avgas if I remember correctly which would tend to discredit the fuel theory. Some people have reported the DuBro tanks splitting or the stopper coming out but I have never seen a DuBro tank split. And I have problems prying the stopper out after it has been in there awhile so I can't imagine how it could just fall out.

I just got done with my annual tank inspections in my fleet. I only replaced one stopper and one clunk line and they were both several years old.

I am going to try a water bottle tank one of these days just to see how it works out. MTK, I'll probably contact you for some fitting and advice. I may be old but I do like to try new things if they have merit.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

When I saw these Rotoflow fuel tanks advertised I actually busted out laughing. ''Better Mousetrap'' immediately came to mind. My worry would be the seals on the moving tubes leaking and sucking air. For me, why replace what works, and why add a possible air leak point(s) in the fuel system, but that is only my opinion. Glad to hear that some are using them with success, but I'll stick with the old clunk tank and Walbro filter clunks.

AV8TOR

AV8tOR,

If you don't them don't buy them. To bash a product you have not used is a little "disengenuious". I have them, I use them, this will be the 4 year on 2 of them. "0" mantance.
Stick with what you like, knock them until you try them.

Chris923
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Truckracer

ORIGINAL: chris923

AV8TOR

AV8tOR,

If you don't them don't buy them. To bash a product you have not used is a little ''disengenuious''. I have them, I use them, this will be the 4 year on 2 of them. ''0'' mantance.

Chris923
I thought av8tor's post was well thought out and he expressed several legitimate concerns about the product. He certainly wasn't bashing the product at all.

Any of us that have been around the hobby for any time at all have seen many products come and go and have gained a sense of what will endure over the long haul. But yes, sometimes we're wrong.

IMHO
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks.

And I did say "only my opinion"... I would be wary of one for the same reason I don't use fuel fill valves, and I use a three line fuel system. I don't like potential air leak points in the line going to the engine. An air leak causing the fuel pump in the carb to not work, or only work intermittently is a pain in the butt to trouble shoot and find.

But once again, this is only "My humble opinion"....

AV8TOR
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

swiveling pick up tubes were tried way back in the middle of last century...and then someone figured out that a rubber tube with a weight on it works even better. what's next, rubber powered servos?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

another thing that bothers me is all these servos out in the wing connected directly to the control surfaces....someone needs to come up with a system that mounts a single servo in the fuselage and uses special bell cranks to connect it to the ailerons...think of the weight and wiring mess it would save!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: chris923
AV8tOR,

If you don't them don't buy them. To bash a product you have not used is a little "disengenuious". I have them, I use them, this will be the 4 year on 2 of them. "0" mantance.

Chris923
Personally, if this style tank solved the problems your set-ups had, it's great!! After all we are in it to play, not to tinker at the flying field all day long, wasting perfectly good flying days.

These tanks are very heavily built and can possibly survive a head on encounter with terra firma at 100 mph. Again personally, I prefer lighter solutions to heavier solutions that accomplish the same goal

But I'm with Av8tr and TR regarding bubbles in the line to the carb. They are a pain and sometimes hard to diagnose where they are coming from. I'm glad to hear that after a couple years folks are still pleased with the performance. It presents another solution to a potential headache perhaps
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Truckracer

I just looked up some additional info on these tanks. Oh my, they are expensive little buggars!
Old 02-28-2013, 05:11 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I just looked up some additional info on these tanks. Oh my, they are expensive little buggars!
That's what I thought too....But then again I'veseen guys poopoo the water bottles in favor of single 25$ machinedaluminum cap, anodized and polished, that is tucked away where nobody can see it. I really don't get that but hey, there's something for all....I s'pose
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM
bjbellino
My Feedback: (176)

OLDTYME, I think you can apply Murphys Law here, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you are using a tank that has worked for you with out problems, why change? When I first started flying gas, the tank was an issue for me because I didn't read enough to know to use fuel line barbs and spring clamps on all connections and some tanks are not compatible with gasoline, and of course the stoppers and fuel lines are different, and a lot of people run heavier clunks and in-tank filters, and a vent line that is looped to the rear of the tank and back forward to prevent fuel leakage when inverted, and so forth and so on. I have been running a couple of rotoflow tanks with good results. They are easy to install and use. If they have a fault, they are a little pricey, but I think their ease of use is worth it, how long the seals will last, I don't know, but it seems that I read somewhere, that if one started leaking that you could send it back and have the seal replaced for a minimal charge, but correct me if I am wrong about this, so try one or not, I think they are one less thing to be concerned about when you break ground.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Been using clear water bottles since 2005, they are cost effective, and the lightest way to go for those that care about performance.

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.