Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Where to put the gators front or back

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Walfam
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to put the gators front or back

I am just finishing up my vanquish, and in looking at the lightning build and the vanquish build i noticed that some put the gator the front only and some in the back only.

Is there any really a preference or difference? Whats the pro or con on front or back?

Any help will be appreciated.

Wayne Lovett
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Where to put the gators front or back

I don't think it matters a whole lot whether in the front or back, but mounting the adjuster in the location furthest from the pivot point (wing tube) will give you the finest resolution in wing adjustment. My preference would be locking screw in the front and adjuster in the back. Will be interesting to hear other thoughts.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM
VerneK

If you get them too far from the pivot point (wing tube), you'll be limited in how much adjustment you have available. At roughly 6" from the pivot point, 2 full turns on the adjustor equals roughly 1/2 degree of change.

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: Jeff Worsham

I don't think it matters a whole lot whether in the front or back, but mounting the adjuster in the location furthest from the pivot point (wing tube) will give you the finest resolution in wing adjustment. My preference would be locking screw in the front and adjuster in the back. Will be interesting to hear other thoughts.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
jgg215

It only matters if the installation of an adjuster is particularly difficult in one location or the other. Also keep in mind a ball driver has to easily reach the adjuster. If you replace the other end with a bolt to firm up the mounting system, then you need to be able to get your hand and/or wrench on the bolt for wing mounting/removal. Look at all those things and then plan your installation. Keep in mind if you need to put more effort in the installation but it saves hassle every time you put the wings on or take them off- its worth it.

John
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some use it in the front like CAmodel and some in the back like Oxai on the stabs, on the wings they are pretty much in the back most of the time, and rarely you will need more than 1.5deg.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a heck of a lot easier to modify the wing of the Vanquish to accept the gator at the FRONT of the wing than it is to modify the back of the wing. Hence, being fundamentally lazy, I went with the front :-)

Peter+