Community
Search
Notices
RC Humor Have an RC related joke or story? If it is RC humor you're looking for we have this forum to make you happy now.

Birds crashin planes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Birds crashin planes

I have been chased a few times by birds while flying my plane, but this one was personal. Was Landing my new 50cc PAU on a pretty windy day and all the sudden this pair of birds attack me. I mean, in my face trying to get my eyes etc. I had walked to the end of the field as it was windy and wanted a bit if extra room and i was attacked. Almost wrecked my plane into the restraining fence but got it on the runway with a small scuff on the wing tip. It was actually funny cause these were small birds and I am over 6 foot tall. Hmm I guess they won this one!

NOTETOSELF While it is bad to chase birds with you planes-you may get lucky!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Birds crashin planes

crazy story there, thankfully no one got hurt

a friend of mine had a mid air with a bird , in a trainer... i caused the wing to collapse and it went in, and totalled

no rc related but bird related... i used to play golf when i was a teen.... my friend tee'ed off and all we saw was an explosion of feathers and a bird plop to the ground.... that's even more rare than a hole in one
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 AM
Bundubasher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gwweber

I have been chased a few times by birds while flying my plane, but this one was personal. Was Landing my new 50cc PAU on a pretty windy day and all the sudden this pair of birds attack me. I mean, in my face trying to get my eyes etc. I had walked to the end of the field as it was windy and wanted a bit if extra room and i was attacked. Almost wrecked my plane into the restraining fence but got it on the runway with a small scuff on the wing tip. It was actually funny cause these were small birds and I am over 6 foot tall. Hmm I guess they won this one!

NOTETOSELF While it is bad to chase birds with you planes-you may get lucky!

You were not specific about thetype of "birds" but I guessthese birds can break your concentration while flying...........

Cheers

Bundu
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25218.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1756311  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:33 AM
tapkoote

MetallicaJunkie
Probably not as unuasual as we think
my golf buddy hit a DUCK HOOK into the river at
Foster golf course hit a mallard square in the back
tap
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Major League Baseball game, several years ago, bird winging across the field between pitcher and catcher, all on video. Pitcher releases the ball, bird comes into picture, feathers fly, bird goes down, umpire throws up his arms, they clean off the field.

That video's probably still on You-tube someplace.

Don't know why birds would attack you. Lot of mosquitos in your cap? Gnats buzzing around your neck?

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBd-Wlsic9E i love this one
Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Red-wing blackbirds nest in the grass and are very agressive in defending the nest. They'll take on many larger birds they see as a threat. I've seen them chase crows away and they are three times as large as the blackbird.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM
the pope

Hit a pidgen I think it was a pidgeon a couple of weeks ago . Taking off about 6 feet off the deck and them kapow ! Usualy they get moving when they see you comming but i guess they were checking each other out . A patch the size of your diner table full of feathers and the bird flew off . I dont think it would last too long , the plane just went straight in with minimal damage . Had a few members threaten to call animal cruelty so I said fine will send them the bill for repair to my plane . Cheers the pope
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

Had a fellow take on a hawk in Arizona.  Did okay until he got to close and the hawk turned and ripped up his wings.  He learned his lesson, the birds have the right of way.  They been flying for a few years longer than us.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:08 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

bundu i really like the 3rd bird from the left [X(]
Old 10-15-2012, 02:11 AM
barry711

This is amazing,small birds are more agressive i guess and you will agree with me now hundered percent hehehe.A little crazy thing happens with my friend and his cousin few months ago.My friend was flying his Apachi i an open field and his cousin was not taking interest in the flight at all.He was almost sleeping on the grass when Apachi gets out of control because of its tail problem and hits my friend's cousin on the back,luckily his head does not get hurt.His cousin was just 8 years old and began crying and shouting.My friend says he had no idea that where his cousin was,so it was just an accident but an interesting one i hope you people like it.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Spooked a duck in tall grass on landing approach with a Rascal C. The damaged was a broken prop and wheel pant, and a landing gear wire knocked loose.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Yesterday I heard a news report on some event at the Vatican (or wherever the Pope was.) It seems some doves were released at some kind of event, and one of the doves was attacked by a big seagull.

The report went on to say that the dove fought back and eventually chased off the seagull, pleasing the crowd.

I've seen small birds chasing larger, slower birds, I understand the larger birds will get in the smaller birds nest (and go for the eggs, I suppose) so the small birds attack the big ones.

I haven't had a bird attack, but one field where I flew was rife with little finches. They enjoyed flying back & forth in front of my vehicle as I drove away.

It's all flying, I guess.
Dave Olson
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the vid!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Yeah, peta nuts will have a fit, but it's a cool video. I frequently attact the attention of Turkey Vultures. To be a protected species, we sure seem to have an abundance of them in Tennessee. I can make a couple low circuits with any of my planes and count on attracting at least two or three. I'll even confess to having given chase to a couple now and then. But relax peta nuts, no danger of hurting those things, they are deceptively fast and agile, you can't even get close to one! One of these days I'll get some on board video and post it just to get a few folks riled up.

On another occasion, I was flying an electric J-3 at night in a very open area, heard the esc give the sound it makes when the prop hits something and my plane tumbled and starting droping like a rock. I recovered and landed to find a few small dents and punctures in the wing and cabin area that I'm pretty sure came from an owl.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rye

That's a great one rye.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:00 AM
rctoyspcm.com

i think that birds want take control that rc...lol..
Old 02-27-2013, 11:54 PM
adam911

like this video. once this has happened with one of our club member but his plane was not crushed.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
skeeter_ca

Trying flying through a large flock of sparrows. Plane didn't hit any of them but it was very disorienting to have all those little birds flying around the plane while on final. Almost crashed it.

I was watching my son fly one time and he started yelling HELP, HELP. I run over to him and he was freaking out and handed me the Tx. Apparently a fly (large horse fly) had gotten trapped under his glasses and he freaked out. I laughed all day long on that one!

skeeter
Old 02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
skeeter_ca

That's why it is dangerous to fly on the beach!

skeeter

ORIGINAL: Bundubasher

ORIGINAL: gwweber

NOTE TO SELF While it is bad to chase birds with you planes-you may get lucky!

You were not specific about the type of ''birds'' but I guess these birds can break your concentration while flying...........[img][/img]

Cheers

Bundu