Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OSMax 46 FXi wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Silver Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OSMax 46 FXi wont start

I bought a nearly new OS 46FXi last year and can't get it to start and run. I managed to get it to fire off last week by removing the pressure from the muffler and it still blows lots of raw fuel out of carb unless needle is only opened a few clicks, then will run weakly with ignitor left on plug but stops if main needle is opened any more. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: OSMax 46 FXi wont start

Check the glow plug, bet it's weak. How old is your fuel and did you store it properly?
Did you run the engine after you purchased it, or are you just now getting to it? It may require
internal clean-up in the crankcase and carb. Glow fuel can cause problems with oil/fuel residue
building up and becoming gummy.

I doubt if you have any serious problems.....just an engine that has sat around too long.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:04 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Have you mounted the tank according to the: "Tank mounting rule"? That's very important! 8-10oz is the correct tank size!
Second: Have you checked that the glow plug workes ? Should shine orange white! OS 8 or Enya 3 are suitable for your engine.
Third: A 11x6 or 12x4 RAM,Graupner "Sonic" or APC prop should be used.
Fourth: Fuel containg 5-15% nitro shoukld be used.
Fifth: Silencer pressure shoukld be used!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM
daytonarc
My Feedback: (5)

New glow plug OS 8
close throttle, turn low end mixture screw closed then open 1 1/2 turns
turn high end mixture screw closed then open 1 1/2 turns
start with glow igniter and adjust high end to 30 degrees rich of max rpm
Old 02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New engine, history unknown?
Seems like a blocked exhaust exit to me. Try to start without muffler.
New plugs never hurt, nor does a fresh batch of fuel.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If fuel is "pouring" out of the carb  it could be that the low speed needle is open way to much causing a rich condition. With the throttle barrel almost closed (open about 1/16"), reference the low speed needle(the recessed needle on the throttle arm side of the carb) and turn it clockwise counting the full turns. If it's more tha two it's too rich. Open the low speed from closed about two turns and then open the high speed needle from closed about two turns and try to start it. If it starts then slowly close the HS needle to get smooth high speed. Then you can go back and work on the low side needle to get a smooth transition from idle to mid-range. 
As others suggested, it wouldn't hurt to change the glow  plug and put some fresh fuel in it too.
Once you do get it running run the engine dry of fuel and add some afterrun oil(air tool oil, marvel mystery oil) in through the open carb and rotate the prop a few times to coat the bearing between flying sessions and before storing.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:38 PM
AMB

I do not know if this engine has has a pin to align the liner or not , check and make sure cylinder is in properly ( port lineup) martin
Old 02-05-2013, 02:13 PM
pe reivers

Most engines have just a notch in the liner where you can drill a small hole when you remove the liner so you can get it into the same position on assembly.
I agree with you that the liner may well be put in wrong.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 PM
daytonarc

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

Most engines have just a notch in the liner where you can drill a small hole when you remove the liner so you can get it into the same position on assembly.
I agree with you that the liner may well be put in wrong.
The O.S. 46 FX and FXi have a small pin that protrudes from the top of the cranckcase to line up with the notch in the top flange of the culinder liner that faces the center rear of the cranckcase.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 AM
spaceworm

If the needle valve had been turned in too tight at some point, there may now be a flat on its end or a damaged seat for it in the carb body. In either event it will pass too much fuel at what you would think to be a proper setting. Take a good look at both the needle and its seat. But a tank mounted too high is more likely. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Silver Flyer

Thanks for all your suggestions. I checked every suggestion that each of you made. Fresh fuel, new OS #8 plug, tank in exact right position, cylinder lined up with pin in top of case, idle and main needle out 1-1/2 to 2 turns, fresh real hot igniter and nothing seemed to make any difference at all. It just spins with starter and doesn't even attempt to fire up now, lots of blowback off fuel. It is an immaculate engine and I only replaced bearings because of rust in them. Previous owner said his trainer hooked a wing tip on maiden, crashed, and he put the engine up and hadn't used it since then. Bought at Perry swap meet last year for $50 now have about $20 more in bearings and think I will box it up and not worry with it anymore. First time I have got shorted on a deal at Perry and think this will be my last used engine purchase from anybody. Also this is the first time in many years of modeling that an engine has completely buffaloed me. Well I have another 46 that I can use instead of this one on my 4-star, when I get around to it. Got a new kit yesterday from BTE Models, a Venture 60 so will be busy with that for a few weeks. Thanks again for all your help. Floyd
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Floyd, everything you've mentioned (won't run with muffler presure, dies if igniter is removed, when it idid run was only a few clicks open) suggests too much fuel. You said you have another .46 engine. If your other .46 has a remote needle valve, take it off and plug it in to the engine that won't run. You don't even have to mount the needle valve to the back of the engine. If it doesn't run with that needle valve, assuming you know it is good, then something is wrong with the low speed needle. With all the symptoms you have listed, it pretty much indicates fuel is drowning the glow plug. One of those needles has to be bad,
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Silver Flyer

My other 46 doesn't have remote needle, but if the carb will fit the FXi crankcase I will try to run it with that. Thanks for your suggestion. May be next week before I can.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Silver Flyer

Hey Pei, I finally did what you said to do in an earlier post, run it with the muffler off and it ran with either of my carbs. Pressure tap must have been plugged although when I blew through it if anything was there it went into the muffler and was expelled when it cranked. I put original carb back on and cranked it up and it had a beautiful low idle and a nice top end.
I appreciate all the help you and all the others have been to me. I don't know how your hint got by me at the time of your post, guess I am getting to old to read/follow instructions. Thanks again, all is running well now.
Floyd