Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

gas tank brass tubing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

gas tank brass tubing

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 PM
ryanreynolds15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas tank brass tubing

how in the world can i bend this stuff without kinking it? ive wasted 2 pieces of it now, any tips are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: gas tank brass tubing

Hi!
Use a tubing bender (Du-Bro)!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

I ordered this from TowerHobbies and its worked great for me: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXR791&P=ML

Insert yur tubbing into the spring that fits fairly snug and then bend it to the shape that you need.

You might try going to your local hardware store and see if they have springs that fit snuggly around the brass tubing and do the same bending process.

Cheers,
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have a tubing bender you can try two things.
 Look for a  stiff spring that will tightly fit over the tubing and slowly make the bend  inside the spring in small steps .
You can also try and fill the tube with very fine sand and bend it slowly.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Villa

I no longer have to bend brass tubes. I use only Hayes fuel tanks. No added tubes required.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:57 PM
gjesion

I just use salt. Always available and rinses out with water.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 02-28-2013, 04:36 PM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Brass hardens when you work it. By forming, bending, hammering, etc. you work it and it gets harder. If I want to bend a brass tube I heat it up with a torch then let it cool naturally in the air. This does make it softer and the process is called annealing. Although it helps you still need some type of tool that prevent kinking for anything much more than a 45 degree. THe Dubro tools are cheap and work well.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fill the tube with salt or sand then bend around a socket chucked up in a vise or buy a tubing bender kit.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:27 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

" how in the world can i bend this stuff without kinking it? I've wasted 2 pieces of it now, any tips are greatly appreciated, thank you in advance! "

Get the right kind of brass tubing. The kind that is used for fuel tanks is annealed (soft); the K&S off the rack is "mostly" not. They do carry fuel tank brass, but it is specified for that usage.

Les
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
adamle

Put a fexible cable pushrod through it. Bend the tube and then pull out the cable. The cable will prevent the tube from collapsing.

If you don't have a pushrod, most hardware stores have aluminum cables starting at 1/16" diameter. A 3/32" cable might be about right. One foot should cost less than a dollar.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM
balsa brain

Weed whacker string works good also and pulls right out.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
corch

I use the brass to stir up epoxy.  I use plastic brake line for all my fuel tanks.  Cut to length with your exacto knife.  Use your heat gun to bend it however you want, and a lighter on the end (very briefly) to create a knurl that the fuel tubing fits over and doesn't let go.  It's about $20 for a 25 foot roll.  I've used it for 3 arfs and 1 kit and I still have over 20 feet left!  Also works as rx attenna shrouds in the fuselage, and pushrod guides for 2-56 pushrods.  If anyone is curious, let me know and i will post some photos, etc.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the weedwacker line,so easy.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 AM
jetmech05

I insert a drill bit bend a little pull the bit out a little and bend again etc etc
Old 03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
RC_Fanatic

ORIGINAL: corch

I use the brass to stir up epoxy. I use plastic brake line for all my fuel tanks. Cut to length with your exacto knife. Use your heat gun to bend it however you want, and a lighter on the end (very briefly) to create a knurl that the fuel tubing fits over and doesn't let go. It's about $20 for a 25 foot roll. I've used it for 3 arfs and 1 kit and I still have over 20 feet left! Also works as rx attenna shrouds in the fuselage, and pushrod guides for 2-56 pushrods. If anyone is curious, let me know and i will post some photos, etc.
I'm curious! What is it, where do you get it?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 PM
exocet-RCU

The last sullivan tank I bought had both brass and plastic tubing in the kit. I chose to use the brass because i find it easier to bend than the plastic and used the flexible cable inserted in it while bending. I will need to try the salt method. When I tried the sand method, I had too large f crystals and it didn't work like I wanted it too.

Tim
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM
corch

ATV/dirtbike shops... I take a chunk of fuel tubing to make sure I get the right kind. Or online here, it's a good deal. http://www.cometkartsales.com/store/brakes/brakline.htm
ORIGINAL: RC_Fanatic

ORIGINAL: corch

I use the brass to stir up epoxy. I use plastic brake line for all my fuel tanks. Cut to length with your exacto knife. Use your heat gun to bend it however you want, and a lighter on the end (very briefly) to create a knurl that the fuel tubing fits over and doesn't let go. It's about $20 for a 25 foot roll. I've used it for 3 arfs and 1 kit and I still have over 20 feet left! Also works as rx attenna shrouds in the fuselage, and pushrod guides for 2-56 pushrods. If anyone is curious, let me know and i will post some photos, etc.
I'm curious! What is it, where do you get it?