Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Hitec Aurora 9-Channel 2.4Ghz Radio System

You tell 'em Alan...!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:53 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AT my apologies for miss stating your country of origin.

The Futaba wireless has been in active use here at our local field for almost a year now or thereabouts and I have used it a number of times. Its proving to be wonderful to use especially with the advanced buddy chord features avalible with that Futaba 12 and the almost identical buddy features in the A9 It is a Futaba 12 something and has been used with both 7C and 9C. Yes the outline you made of its limitations in compatible radios is understood and as we have experianced it to be as I would expect an A9 or A whatever to be.

It is not mine but the fellows (students) are more and more wanting to use This system and of course I cannot accomodate them.

Now I addressed this question not to you but Mike Mayberry and had hoped he would at least provided some sort of answer but perhaps not.

Can you say positively that one of those Hong Kong things will work just as well as the futaba unit (that I have used) with a pair of A9's? Personally I have my doubts. No Hitec needs their own product and my question remains. Its a legitimate question to our North American distributor.

John
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: A.T.

You asked for a stylus and were heard...

Alan T.
Many of us have been asking for more channels. Have you heard?
My good friend just bought a new Spektrum DX10t. He was willing to pay double the price for just one more channel and did. He waited a long time in hopes Hitec would add a channel or produce another radio with more channels. Now another guy in our club is about to buy a Spektrum DX10t.
I am OK with my A9 right now but, plain and simple, I want more channels.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 AM
canmann

I am getting back into RC after a few years off. Fly elec 40/60 size and 9 channels are fine. I have Hitec servos in all my planes after bad luck with other brands. I was sold on getting an A9 for price and features but now wonder if I should wait for the newer system. Had a Futaba 9C and liked it alot. Flew from a private field and could use the 9C but I have moved and need a 2.4 system to fly here. So my shoud I buy A9, another brand, or wait?? Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:44 PM
bgw45

If you still like the 9c then buy a Hitec 2.4 module and receiver to update you 9c. Hitec receivers are less expensive and are solid performers. You will miss some new features of an A9 or 9x but it will be totally functional.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+++++1
Old 03-01-2013, 01:17 PM
farr301

On the 2013 catalog pdf, the Maxima 9 receiver, which will come with the 9x, says "Only Digital servo required.' Does that mean that this receiver only operates off digital servos?

I'm looking to upgrade from my old Laser 6 transmitter to 2.4, and I don't want to have to switch to digital servos if that is what this statement is implying.

Thanks,
Jake
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
JIMF14D

I cannot find the post here now but there was one here from the Hitec guy that mentioned a new receiver with the 9x that had a 9ms update rate. My guess is that would work best with digital servos. Also that the 9X will be backward with the present Hitec Optima Rx. so you could use those with your present or future analog servos. That is what Iintend to do as Ihave 12 optima RXs and tons of analog servos. I would keep the new fast Rx for a future hot plane or sell it on Ebay or here.

Google around or search here and you will find more posts about A9X or Hitec will probably answer your question here eventuall.

Jim D
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: farr301 On the 2013 catalog pdf, the Maxima 9 receiver, which will come with the 9x, says "Only Digital servo required.' Does that mean that this receiver only operates off digital servos?
I'm looking to upgrade from my old Laser 6 transmitter to 2.4, and I don't want to have to switch to digital servos if that is what this statement is implying. Thanks, Jake
Yes, refresh rate to high for analogue.
However, Aurora 9X users do not need to use the non telemetry Maxima receivers,
Aurora 9X also uses the exisiting Optima transceivers or Minima receivers and achive better results with those also..
Doubt analogue servos will be made by any manufacturer for much longer.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM
bgw45

AT, when you say better do you mean reduced latency or are there other performance benefits? Is re-link/re-bind time reduced? What else?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
JIMF14D

You raise an interesting question regarding re-link time. I have been flying A9 for 3 years now and hundreds of flights with 10+ different airplanes both electric and glow.

In that time Ihave never had a situation where there was any indication of a control problem or link disconnect in the air or on the ground. This is out to vision distances where Ican comfortabley and occasionally uncomfortable fly a .40+ size model.

This includes taking a 3D Hobbies Edge 48 to 1100 feet altitude as part of a GPS versus eyeballs test. I can tell you that it is a small dot at that distance.

Also Ido not remeber that Iever had to re-bind a plane once it was set up. Isee other people at my field with one particular brand who are always binding/rebinding. Some guys with electric models go through "oh the light is flashing again or off or on etc" routines each time they plug in a battery.

I do use a BEC on my larger models with lots of servos and on my glow models Ihave changed to 6V, 1200mah RX batteries for a little extra margin. The Hitec RX voltage telemetry is very useful in catching weaker RX batteries or binding servos as I have had situations when rowing the sticks around that the battery alarm beep has gone on and off but never any indication that the RF link was broken or there was a RX "brown out".

I consider the A9 RF link pretty much bullet proof. That said Ido not fly at fields with 20 to 40 systems turned on at one time so Icannot speak for that situation or use with gas ignition systems.

I do see that the A9X has an improved binding menu/bind set up process and that will be a definite plus compared to the 3 handed monkey rountine required with the present A9.

Jim D.

PS, Iforgot to mention that Hitec gets this done with just one RX per plane, not the 4-5 RX wallet buster configurations suggested by some brands.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: bgw45 AT, when you say better do you mean reduced latency or are there other performance benefits?
Is re-link/re-bind time reduced? What else?
The following are all the relevant A9X Q&A on all forums todate:

Hitec General Servo Q&A extract:
Q. What is the difference between an analog and digital servo?
A. The difference is in how the servo motor is controlled via the circuit board (amplifier).
The motor of an analog servo receives a signal from the amplifier 30 times a second or at 30Hz.
This signal allows the amplifier to update the motor position.
Digital servos use a high frequency amplifier that updates the servo motor position 300 times a second or at 300Hz.
By updating the motor position more often, the digital servo can deliver full torque from the beginning of movement
and increases the holding power of the servo.
The quick refresh also allows the digital servo to have a tighter deadband.
Recommended Reading:
Hitec Digital Servo Q&A
================================================== ============

. Aurora 9X Further Features Post 4477 above.
"1. Performance:
a. 4096 resolution (4 times better/ 2X better than Futaba and Spektrum)
b. Dual processors (one for programming, one for RF)
c. Re Engineered signal processing so the Optima RX performance is twice as fast (19ms frame vs. 41ms)
d. New Maxima RX's (Non Telemetry) have a 7ms frame which outputs all channels simultaneously
for the absolute minimum latency. (FBL version in the works)"

. Aurora 9X Latency, Resolution & SLT
The latency is essentially cut in half when using the Optima Rx's and when using the new Maxima (non telemetry)
RX it is 66% faster than that! 4096 Resolution as well! Dual processors are used so that the RF has one dedicated just to it.
SLT will open it up to a larger BnF market. - Mike.31Jan13.

. A9X Retail Configuration & Features
"The system will be sold in a few different configurations.
The Maxima Rx is for those that are looking for the absolute lowest latency.
The original A9 will not be compatible with the Maxima.
Another feature is auto switch select which sets the switch by moving it when in the menu.
The toggle switch does also work as on only when held when selected for the timer.
Flight counter: Counts the flights on a particular model by either power on, switch, or timer.
SLT: Compatible with any TX-R model made by G.P. or any company that utilizes the protocol
which we expect to expand significantly.
Hitec will not offer a stand alone SLT RX but future BnF "Hitec" branded models
(Many more planned) will utilize it thus keeping the cost down.
I'll post some screen shots of some of the new things shortly. - Mike 01Feb13"

. A9 & A9X - Latency
FYI: The reason the A9 latency has high was because of the decoding on the TX side from the gimbal to output the signal.
The single processor also had to operate the programming and the signal where now they each have a dedicated processor.
The 9X elimiates this cutting the frame rate with the Optima RX in half (Down to 19ms.)
When using the Non telemetry Maxima RX, the Frame rate is even lower at 7ms (Actually tested at 5.5ms!) - Mike 02Feb13.

. Conditions can be assigned to any
stick/position.
- Mike 07Feb13
screenshot 1 post 4484 above
screenshot 2 post 4484 above

. Non - telemetry Hitec 2.4Ghz Receiver Reboot Voltage
"Maxima has the same reboot voltage as the Minima, 2.6v.- Mike 13Feb13. "

. Maxima 6 & 9 have same frame rate
"they are the same @ 7ms frame rate.- Mike 15Feb13".

. Frame Rate
It will be 4096 resolution with the Optima RX's as well. The latency is cut in half (21ms frame)when using the Optima RX's with the 9X
and then cuts it 66% more when using the Maxima (7ms) making it of of the fastest radios available.
More channels: We know... However, it wasn't an option at this time with the current platform but we are working on this for the future.
- Mike. 15Feb13.

. Latency - Perception
"Perception is a strong factor for some people. "Most" people will not notice the difference in latency and resolution but that doesn't
mean they don't think they need it. However, high level pilots will benefit as it brings the performance level up to, or better, than the top
radios on the market! Unfortunately we are currently limited to 9 channels but making the new radio faster with more resolution was
possible so we did it... what would you all be saying if we didn't? Damned it you do... damned if you don't I guess! " - Mike 19Feb13.

Alan T.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt55982.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1857340   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43623.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1857341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30409.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1857342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35289.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1857343  
Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 PM
wkevinm

I just returned from a major Q40 - Pylon racing competition in Los Angeles with nearly 60 competitors. The plane inspector raised his eyebrow when I told him I was flying Hitec, suggesting this was not normal and I was the only one, most pylon racers fly JR, Spectrum or Futaba systems. I have been told many times to throw my Hitec servos out before they fail in favour of the other brands....I have never had a reliability problem and I currently have over 60 servos all loaded into racers. There were a few planes go down due to servo failure and power issues, I do not know what systems they used. I am pleased to say my planes operating 7 channel and 9 channel Rx's worked flawlessly. I recently started to switch to high voltage servos to increase speed and torque and I am looking forward to the A9X. I figure that once I have the A9X along with high voltage servos this should be near the fastest and most stable system on the market.

When can I get an A9X?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Don't know what it is but I got that strange look at the lhs when I mentioned Hitec. Margins are too small i guess and then there are others who look down their noses at value!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM
bgw45

AT, thank you for your thorough response. You are the MAN. It is a great benefit to all having you participating in these forums.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Michel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

It,s been a while since I,ve posted here , First ,................................. I love my A9 , wouldn,t change it for any other ,.... period

I have two questions

1 ) are many of you guys ( and Gals ) , useing lipo,s in youre A9 ?

2 ) When chargeing the 2 cell lipo , out of the radio , is there any chance of all the memory being lost ?

Michel
Old 04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Ken Cz

Been using a Lipo from day one with no problems. Memory will not be lost when removing to charge.
I have been using Lipo in all my TX for 5+ yrs now with Zero issues.
KC
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Michel

Hi Ken

Thanks for the reply .

Here,s a third question : ,.............. what about storage in the off season ?

Michel
Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Michel Hi Ken Thanks for the reply . Here,s a third question : ,.............. what about storage in the off season ? Michel
To avoid leakage or Black Wire Corrosion, always remove battery from any ttransmitter , switch harness, torchlights etc you name it.

. Aurora 9 - Transmitter - Care of, especially in high humidity areas.
extract
"Extract from another response to query in A9 thread re battery (any TX) removal after use/storage
"Hard to define as much also depends upon climatic conditions and how and where a TX is used and then stored.
If Tx is used and stored in a very dry area, then not to much of a problem but if used and then left in a case which has been open during humid conditions, especially at a cloudy slope soaring site or spray covered ocean cliff, then it will be more susceptible to black wire and other corrosion, or simply left in the garage/shed, even some houses may have high humidity levels inside.
(All known quality electronics stored in warehouses/retail shops contain little bags of dessicant for a good reason.)
Corrosion caused by old or damp batteries is the leading reason, by a very big margin, of all brands/types of transmitters being brought in for service.
With many different TX in my "playroom", batteries are always removed at end of day except for those I know I will definitely, as opposed to "think I will" use within the next month.""

Also with regard to Lipo, please refer:
. Aurora 9 - Lipo User Adjustable Voltage sets Shut Down = TURNS TX OFF to save damage to Lipo Battery and/or TX
(Audible Battery Warning is still at 6.9V with Lipo which provides say 10-20 min before shutdown.)
. Aurora 9 - Warning Alarms Battery types, Voltage Level Interpretation & Consumption.
CAUTION - Leave Auto Hibernation (was Auto Power Off prior to V1.06) as "Never" when using Lipo Battery.
During "Auto Hibernation" (as with laptops), TX Does Not Switch everything Off
and batteries will be completely drained if TX switch is not
manually moved to the off position in good time. Remove battery and store separately if TX is to be unused for a period.

Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Fast Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7 & 7 Pro, Flash 4 & 5, Laser, Optic 6, Optic 5, Lite 4, Prism 7 etc.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers_Receivers & Telemetry
- FAQ, Setups & Tips {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Michel

Hi AT

Now how did I know you were going to answer this ,................................................ youre always on the ball .

Thanks

Now I have some reading to do .

Michel
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Beej

Hi All,

I have an Aurora 9 and have a question around setting up split elevators. It's an Aeroworks Edge and I have 7955tg's on each half - each on its own channel (ie no Y lead) . I started by using my HFP-25 to reset the servos (plus open up the deadband to "2" - helps with the "jitters"). Mechanically the geometry of the linkages are good and I measure throws using an Angle pro. So, no actual problem setting up both high rate and low rate one each side to be perfect with a little use of the EPA. However when I switch back and forth from low to high rates both servos re-centre equivalently by a few degrees in unison. I have never noticed this before and if anyone had any suggestions as to what could be going on I would very much appreciate it.

best

Beej

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Beej Hi All,
I have an Aurora 9 and have a question around setting up split elevators. It's an Aeroworks Edge and I have 7955tg's on each half - each on its own channel (ie no Y lead) . I started by using my HFP-25 to reset the servos (plus open up the deadband to "2" - helps with the "jitters"). Mechanically the geometry of the linkages are good and I measure throws using an Angle pro. So, no actual problem setting up both high rate and low rate one each side to be perfect with a little use of the EPA. However when I switch back and forth from low to high rates both servos re-centre equivalently by a few degrees in unison. I have never noticed this before and if anyone had any suggestions as to what could be going on I would very much appreciate it. best Beej
Please refer to:
. Digital Servo - Digital vs Analogue Hz, Deadband & Torque effects explained - Servomances

. Digital Servo Instruction Videos - Programming with HFP-10, HFP-20, HPP-21+, HFP-25
. Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Center & End Point - Adjust to Match TX

. Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Center Point May Vary - Why & Correction

. Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Center Point & End Point variance - Why & Correction

. Digital Servo Programming FAQ - Programmer is Preferable to using EPA & Trims on TX

. Digital Servo - Burnout. Cause & Prevention

and more under sub section:
"Servo - Digital & Brushless Servo, Programmers and Software"
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at

Alan T.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Michel

Hi

What a great flying day outside ,................... it,s about dare time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have recieved my Lipo batterys from HK . They fit perfectly . Now ,............... Would someone be so kind as to send me a picture of how , " YOU " set up the battery ( Lipo ) in the A9 . Those are awefly big wires going into a small terminal .

Thanks

Michel
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: Michel Hi What a great flying day outside ,................... it,s about dare time
I have recieved my Lipo batterys from HK . They fit perfectly . Now ,............... Would someone be so kind as to send me a picture of how , " YOU " set up the battery ( Lipo ) in the A9 . Those are awefly big wires going into a small terminal . Thanks Michel
Set up with an inline connector as per photo under:
Aurora 9 - Lipo & Field Fast Charging. includes Fast Charge Aurora, Eclipse 7 & 7 Pro, Flash 4 & 5, Laser, Optic 6, Optic 5, Lite 4, Prism 7 etc.

Alan T.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Michel

HI

AT ,........................ what more can I ask for ,............... as always ,.................. THANKS .

Michel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.