Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Franco2fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

The order inside the DX8 doesn't matter.  But you do need to have the sensors you have enabled for data to be reported.

KKKKFL
Old 03-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Franco2fly

You also need to click the Icon of the speaker in the upper right corner or you have speech turned off even though you told it to report every 10 seconds.

I'll bet that's the part that has been over looked.

KKKKFL
Old 03-03-2013, 05:19 PM
tarcure

I am using manual. I understand the red button is record. I have telemetry in 2 other planes. This is a glider. My other planes I am not concerned about hearing during flight, just recording. Right now, temp and flight voltage only. Thank you
Old 03-03-2013, 05:23 PM
tarcure

Arghhhh. I overlooked the speaker. Thank you very much. I have read many of these/your posts. Very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to help.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Franco2fly

So you won't see any movement on the needles... drop the speak time to 5 seconds for testing..  and try this, Fire it all up make sure you see the bars indicating good link...  next hold the temp sensor between thumb and fore finger... If you have audio turned on you should hear the temp rising after just a couple of readouts.

KKKKFL
Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Franco2fly

Okey doke..

Good flying...  I hope we get the Variometer soon...

KKKKFL
Old 03-04-2013, 03:09 AM
czorzella

ORIGINAL: Franco2fly

Okey doke..

Good flying... I hope we get the Variometer soon...

KKKKFL
+1. We all hope to get the variometer soon....

Old 03-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Franco2fly

I have a question about Fade and hold readings..  I'm getting an old plane ready for the weekend.  It uses a different radio from the RV-4 in that it is DSM2 whereas the RV-4 has a radio that is DSMX...  So I was checking and I see that the fades for the DSM-2 are instantly showing as 4982..  the RV-4 receiver DSMX shows the fades as zero.

What's going on?

KKKKFL
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to re-bind everything together in DSMX mode. TX, RX, TM, STI.

A couple rx's have a bug that causes fades to jump in multiples of 256 or 512, but that's easy to spot.

Andy
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Franco2fly

I found an aircraft that's more of a summer flyer and it had a 6210x  so I pulled this rx and put it into my Cherokee.  Then I put the 6200 in the Summer plane and curiously, the TM1K in that plane didn't complain Fade wise even though its DSM-2.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it used to be operating with a DSMX receiver.

KKKKFL

Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Aerocal

Franco
The 6200 does not have data capability so its not going to complain about FL data.The only note here about the 6200 and other non-FLdata capable Rxs is that some TMs will attempt to return to bind mode without the button pushed or a bind plug in the circuit.The workaround for this situation on a non-FLdata Rx is to disconnect the signal wire from the Rx to TM so it only gets power and ground after you get it bound and are powering up normally.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Franco2fly

Thanks...

I'm good to go now..  I just swapped out  the receiver.  I'm gonna try and sell off the park flyers and replace all the sport stuff with next gen receivers and since we are talking 1/4 scale birds that means minimum will be a 6210x

KKKKFL
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Franco2fly

New problem...
Just did some testing in the garage after our Washington DC Snowmageddon (what a bunch of wimps... not even an inch of snow and that was slush.)

So I put the 6210x receiver in, gassed it up and started the Evo 10cc gas engine.  Everything came to life as expected.  Of one peculiarity was the the RPM reading from the supplied Spectrum connector out of the ignition was that the reading was 12,000 rpm  at idle..

I had poles set to 1 which is what it is at for other ignition modules.  I increased the poles to 2 and now RPM agreed with my handheld.

So with that hiccup, I ran about 6 minutes at mid throttle increasing from time to time and then dropped it back into high idle. (3700-4200)  let it run for a couple minutes, when all of a sudden I lost all Telemetry...  the bars disappeared from the DX8 as well as the STi.  I killed the engine thinking that some wire must have come undone, had the plane upside down ready to disassemble the wing, when i got a whim and thought just turn it off and back on and see what happens.  Sure enough cycling power brought everything back.

I repeated the above with a new full tank, sure enough, Telemetry works fine with engine over 5000, but prolonged idle and it drops out.  Cycling power brings it right back.

Now both the receiver and the TM1k are afixed to the side of the plane using several layers of double sided tape.  Since the drop out can be corrected by merely cycling power I'm thinking the drop is due to vibration and not a connector issue.

I cut a block of foam rubber and now have both Rx and TM encapsulated to minimize and vibration.

Anyone else out there experience similar drops?

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Gremlins?

I had a visit from them today also. I had a slightly similar, but different, situation happen today. I was completing the RPM sensor circuit on one of my older planes. After completing the sensor installation and during testing, I discovered that the AR 9210 would no longer kill the engine when the DX8 was shut off (simulated loss of Txer signal). In my setup, that feature is part of the Preset Failsafe. I had to rebind in the Pre-Set Failsafe. The engine kill on loss of the DX8 signal was there earlier today. Can't explain what happened to lose it. Gremlins took it home with them, maybe? Also, again, it took several attempts for the Preset Failsafe to take. You have to hold down the trainer button until all the fast and slow blinking stops for that Pre-set Failsafe to take,on my setup. It seems there is a magic window of time somewhere around 5-8 seconds, after turning on the DX8, that you have to let go of the Trainer button for the Preset Failsafe to take. The delay was not new to me. I am thinking some other Gremlins left it at the manufacturer’s site. ?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:01 AM
AndyKunz

Len,

The failsafe type has nothing to do with the transmitter. It only selects the positions.

To get Preset Failsafe, you do it in the receiver. Put the rx into bind mode so you see the fast blinking. REMOVE THE BIND PLUG. Bind the tx. You now have presets configured.

If you want Hold Last (on all but throttle) you LEAVE THE BIND PLUG IN until the tx is done binding.

Andy
Old 03-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Len Todd

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Len,

The failsafe type has nothing to do with the transmitter. It only selects the positions.

To get Preset Failsafe, you do it in the receiver. Put the rx into bind mode so you see the fast blinking. REMOVE THE BIND PLUG. Bind the tx. You now have presets configured.

If you want Hold Last (on all but throttle) you LEAVE THE BIND PLUG IN until the tx is done binding.

Andy
I understand both Failsafes on the AR 9210 100% and how to set them, etc.. I have sucessfully set them several times.

I'll PM you on the issue that I saw yesterday.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Franco2fly

Ok guys,
Riddle me this..
Went flying this weekend both Saturday and Sunday.  Flew my RV-4 which has a 15cc RCF and my Cherokee that has the new Evo 10 cc.  The RV-4 telemetry worked flawlessly, but the telemetry from the Cherokee (AR 6210x+tm1k) gave me fits.  It would link up with everything working I saw good bars.  About 3 minutes later I noticed that the telemetry signal bars disappeared.  I went through the guts looking for a bad connection, but several flights resulted in the same thing, this was on Saturday.  So, that night I replace everything.  Different TM1000 different AR6210x and today I found the same thing.  Everyone at the field seemed to think that I had ignition interference.  I wrapped the Ignition battery as well as as much of the leads as possible.  For what ever reason I got one 4 minute flight where Telemetry was solid until landing, when it dropped out.  The RV-4 Telemetry is solid, so I believe the Application is good.

On experimenting in the driveway at home I was able to run a tank with solid Telemetry so long as I disconnected the RPM lead.  Now the Evo 10 cc ignition module comes with a wire labeled RPM, and there is an additional wire with the micro jst connector and some little electronic bit in the middle.  I plugged this into the TM1000 and I believe it is the source of my problems.  Is anyone getting good data using Horizon Hobbies EVO 10 cc and this wire?  I might need to toss it in the bin and just go optical if I cannot make it work.  On the RV-4 I just use a "Y" off the Hall effect sensor and I think that a wire needs to be cut but I cannot recall which one.

KKKKFL
Old 03-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Len Todd

If you are not using an optical sensor you are connecting the Engine and CDI directly to the RXer. If the Engine and/or the CDI is putting out stray RF, you are feeding it directly into the TM-1000. When The TM-1000 sees a signal, it waits to transmit. Thus if the stray RF is long in duration, the TM-1000 realtime data may be lost.

I too have tried the CDI RPM Tap on my DLEs, and I also tried the Y approach on the Hall effect circuit. I ended up using optical RPM sensors on both on my Giants. One thing you could try is putting a small torroid on the RPM line with a few winds of the extension's wire wrapped through it. But w/o knowing the stray RF Frequency, I can not calculate the number of wraps and type of core material that would work best. That approach would be a trial and error thing. Put the torroid close to the Tm-1000. 
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Franco2fly

Hold on a second Cowboy...  I purchased the Evolution 10 cc engine BECAUSE it was a Horizon Hobby effort.  I am using ALL Spektrum products.
Here's the direct quote from the Evolution 10 cc manual:

page 8 half way down and right column

"  *  If desired you can connect either the separately available tachometer read out, or the included Evolution/Spektrum Telemetry Adapter cable (EVOA107) to the tachometer read out connector.  Plug the other end of the adapter cable into your telemetry module's rpm port."

I am going to be VERY upset, if the  Evolution ignition module does not work flawlessly with their own Telemetry module.

I could have spent less money on an RCF Chinese engine and used the "Y" technique which works without a hitch on the RV-4.

It is bizarre that the system works for approximately 3 minutes and then crashes all output from the TM1000.

I'll post a picture of the weird little electronic bit that is supplied with the engine.

KKKKFL
Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Franco2fly

Here's the picture. the lead with the tag Tachometer comes directly from the ignition module. The supplied hook up wire has been unplugged but you can see the small in-line module. This line has the Micro connector that plugs into the TM1000. The receiver is in the same block of foam near the fuselage side at the top of the picture, and the Telemetry module sits near the fuselage wall at the bottom of the picture encapsulated in the same foam block

To my way of thinking this should be "Plug-n-Play".

KKKKFl
Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 AM
Franco2fly

Update on EVO 10 cc

The ignition box has a wire labeled Tachometer,  The engine comes supplied with a cable (EVOA107) instructions say just plug this into the RPM port.
This works for 90 seconds then your Telemetry goes blank (no signal bars, just the horizontal bar).  On advice from HH service technician, I tested the hookup without this wire.(tachometer wire into TM1000 RPM port)  I get telemetry for a full tank,,, 7 minutes HOWEVER, as soon as I turn on the ignition, telemetry says that receiver voltage is 3.5 and ignition voltage is 3.1 erroneously.  I checked both packs with a separate volt meter, and both were showing 5.1 volts under load,  Just un-plugging the tachometer cable causes the telemetry to read voltage correctly.

I have several calls into tech service but to date nobody seems to have the answer.  Anybody have the number for the Evolution Motor Product manager?   It sure seems that this should have been tested prior to release to the public.

Today I will test cutting the "red" wire on the input so I just have signal and black.  I seem to recall that using a "Y" off the Hall effect sensor works if the red wire is cut.

KKKKFL
Old 03-13-2013, 05:18 AM
AndyKunz

Franco, you may have hit on something there. How are you powering this system? How many batteries do you have, and how are things connected together?

I suspect you might have a ground loop.

Andy
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 AM
Franco2fly

Well there was certainly a ground loop. Ignition has its own 4.8v NiMH battery. Receiver has a separate battery pack also NiMH and 4.8v.
I just finished another test. First I cut the red wire on the connection between the tachometer and TM1000 cable(actually used a short aileron extension). The good news is this allowed the voltage Telemetry readings to be accurate(both packs reading 5.1 and 5,2 respectively). The bad news is that the telemetry only ran for about 4 minutes and then went blank.

Test 2 with both red and black wires cut, the Telemetry and voltage readings were good, but the system only ran for 3 minutes.

Test 3 forget the tachometer lead altogether and use the same system I use on the RCF 15 and RCF 20. This uses a "Y" lead off the Hall effect sensor. One leg to the Ignition box un-perturbed, the other leg of the "Y" has the red lead clipped and only signal and black. This ran for approximately 4 minutes before the TM1000 stopped transmitting.

Turning receiver power off waiting a second and then turning back on results in Telemetry module sending data, but only for 4 minutes, although this time is not precisely 4 minutes. I ran one tank where it took 5 minutes.

The "Y" off the Hall effect sensor gives the longest runs. Quite frankly, the other engines might be doing the same thing, since most flights are at or around 5 minutes, and I have not really watched to see what happens beyond that time range.

I'm hoping to hear from the Evolution engine product manager, maybe there is something that I am overlooking. I remember the last time I went down this road, I did a re-bind and magically everything started working, I just don't know if it works for a 10 minute duration.

KKKKFL
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 AM
josephcraig

give them a little time..i'm sure they will work with you....
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM
josephcraig

i don't use telemetry..heck i have rough enough time figuring out cell phomes....lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.