Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Wheel breaking off

Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Torch39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel breaking off

So I didn't have a good day today. Snow finally melted and ground dried enough for me to use my tornado s30. I just replaced the tires, all the wheel bearings and the front diff that was shot. So my car was ready to go. I got about 2 mins and rolled the car while turning and the front wheel went flying. 3rd time this happen. Wish redcat come out with stronger stubs maybe titanium or something.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Hulk1211

Default RE: Wheel breaking off

I had the same issue with my Tornado. I bought aluminum hub carriers to fix it and have not had a problem since.

REAR: Aluminum Rear Hubs

FRONT: Aluminum Front Hubs

Old 03-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Torch39

How would the metal hubs keep the axle stubs from snapping clean off?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Torch39

How would the metal hubs keep the axle stubs from snapping clean off?
I was wondering the same thing? I'm also trying to figure out how you're snapping axel stubs? I realize stuff can just happen, but you said its happened 3 times. That's just too coincidental. I've had 3 Redcats with those same stubs and a friend also has one. We've never snapped an axel stub. I ran my Tornado S30 on the street with low profile street tires and did some serious cart wheeling due to the short wheelbase. Is it possible something is not right in your front end. Is everything tight when you replace them? How are the bearings, are the axel stubs moving in and out? I just can't imagine 3 of them just snapping off without something else going on that your not seeing.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Torch39

I've broken one rear and 2 fronts. In the 2 years i had the car. Seems to happen when I flip it. I have flipped the car many times but once in awhile a wheel goes flying. Bearing are tight after replacing them and my front diff that was locking up the car was working like new.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Torch39

I've broken one rear and 2 fronts. In the 2 years i had the car. Seems to happen when I flip it. I have flipped the car many times but once in awhile a wheel goes flying. Bearing are tight after replacing them and my front diff that was locking up the car was working like new.
I don't know on this one. I guess your flipping hard enough to snap them obviously. It was just a unusual thing. It's not something I've had trouble with or really heard other people complain about. Like, if you said you were having trouble with the stock Tornado wheels breaking, everyone would say "yeah, those wheels typically split or crack".
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Johnathond22

I can agree, I have the EPX pro volcano and have snapped at least 20 stub axles. I have been looking for a good upgrade also. We are really hard on our RCs with jumping and bashing. I made a grade 8 axle and successfully ran them for a good while, but the second quickest wearing part is the C cup. I now have changed my spider outputs on my diffs and a few other mods and have pede shafts. They really are holding up to the punishment. These are both options you can look at. The photo upload isn't working so I can't post a few pics of what I am talking about. I'll try tomorrow.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Dads like rc too

This is good info guys, sorry for bad intel on this one. I've not heard that about the stub axels. Sounds like they're worse than the factory servos.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if this is common on the nitros?

Ive had every electric and never had more than 2 or 3 broken stub axles. We are talking over 20 redcat electric models in years, and only a hand full of broken stubs.

The hub on the S30 is very different than the electric models tho. Much larger really. Not sure why that would (or could) contribute to broken stubs.

Do you have alloy suspension arms? If so, Id ditch them. The arm is the best part to flex IMO. Remove that flex, and now the other parts have to give. The smaller the part is, the less flex it can give before it breaks!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Johnathond22

Torch,
re"> Checkout my post for axle mods "Epx Pro pede shaft upgrades". I have loaded the photos and info if you are looking to make some drivetrain changes. 

Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Torch39

My car has stock plastic arms I've only upgraded to thicker shock towers.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Johnathond22

Hey guys,
This quick pic is just to clarify that I wasn't exaggurating when I had said I pass through stub axles at an alarming rate. This is just the ones I still have. I have most likley thrown away more than this. Just clarifying why I had tried so hard to find a stronger solution. To be honest, I know why they break, we typically bash hard and make ramps that should require a pilots license. However, I felt like if the stampede could do it, I was gonna do it too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91539.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1858319  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

man, it really sucks you broke the stubs even on the CVD driveshafts, those aint cheap.
I personally think its best to stick with the dogbones.