Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

You might be a Kitbuilder if...,

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

You might be a Kitbuilder if...,

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:07 AM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: You might be a Kitbuilder if...,

Remember behind every great man is his wife rounding her eyes lol
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....If you have no fingerprints left due to the number of times you have had to peel your fingers from a project, the table, knife, etc......
Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

If you have ruined almost every shirt you own with CA or Epoxy.....

If you have more X-acto knives than pairs of underwear.....

If you have multiple Dremel tools so you don't have to change bits as often...

If the refridgerator in the man-cave has a 1:1 ration of Beer and CA bottles....

You go though more papertowel in your workshop than you do in the kitchen...

You have used an actual "sock" to cover your iron at least once...
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 AM
tryingagain

You've spent an evening sanding balsa shards into dust to be mixed with Ambroid for filler or fillets.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM
coachdavis10

ORIGINAL: foodstick

If you have a hard time throwing away ANY wood scraps , because you KNOW they will be perfect for the next little project.
and you keep them stored in a kit box of a previously built plane
Old 03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You spend so much time in theshop the family calls you that person in the basement. You've been painting so long without a respirator you forget the names of those other people who live with you.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

"You might be a kit builder if"
You are on a first name basis with your UPS guy
You be sure to order your supplies prior to planning a vacation , just to be sure you have enough money for the supplies -not the vacation.
You plan your vacation around your build progress
Your vacation location has a hobby shop to pick up the forgotten items you should have ordered before vacation.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:19 AM
akbowen
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: CK1

''You might be a kit builder if''

Your vacation location has a hobby shop to pick up the forgotten items you should have ordered before vacation.

I have checked for hobby shops along the route of my vacation travels, and flying fields. I've bought a plane and radio while on vacation in order to fly. Does that qualify? (Oops, it was an ARF.)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:59 AM
skyshot

.... if you get personalized Christmas / Birthday cards from Tower, Micro Mark, and a half dozen others with "Stock Up Sale" ad's tucked in the envelope.
.... if you have a special place for "Silkspan" in case it makes a comeback.
.... if you really miss that "special feeling" you use to have when doping tissue.
.... if you'r favorite furniture is a piece of 1" X 12" x 5 foot clear pine board.

"A. R. F." (A Rookie Flyer)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

If you have 2 drill bit pieces broken off inside your foot, and waited till your wife was asleep before going to the ER.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:42 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you look at all the modeling catalogs and can't find anything you already have - sorry Tower, I have it all (except for the new kit you are going to release)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

If you have 2 drill bit pieces broken off inside your foot, and waited till your wife was asleep before going to the ER. 

The Ironman award goes to ........  Predman !!    
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Minnreefer

You look at any and all household furniture and wonder if and how it would be useful for building.

You try to think of creative ways to store planes and parts in your sons room so you can build more.

You buy balsa at the hobby store even though you have boxes and sheets of it laying around, but you buy it just because you may need it.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

... if you bought tools years ago that have yet to be used. 

... if you have ever bought tools that you're not quite sure what they do. 
Old 03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

...If you see that someone has dropped off a grocery sack full of balsa and plywood scraps at the flying field, and you run to grab it before anyone else finds it.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

....If you thin your balsa filler with budweiser, cause no water is handy.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:15 PM
rhall999

Whata laugh I have had reading through these and thinking to myself, "I've done that a time or three".

My contribution:

...if you have held the CA bottle to your ear and squeezed it to see if the nozzle is clear and gotten CA in your ear......shortly followed by trying to use your finger to clear it out and having to explain your finger stuck in said ear!

...if your wife is mad because she can't find the windex but you have2 bottles in your flight box and one on your bench because you are using it to form sheating on the leading edge.

...you have three extra kit boxes in your shop, one full of balsa bits, one full of plywood and spruce bits, and one full of10 or moresets of old plans.

...you have "waxed" small patches of your leg hair due to CA soaking through your pants making removal painful.

...you have enough wood and supplies to scratch build 3 or more airplanes at any given time.....and still stop in at the hobby shop because you were in the neighborhood.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM
rhall999

Just thought of another

...if your wife goes into the hobby store to buy you a birthday present and tells the guys, "no, he wont like that, its an ARF. Maybe I will just get him a stack of balsa sheets in various sizes and some glue."

(My wife grew up with a dad who is also a scratch/kit builder. She even came with an airplane of her own....yes I am a lucky man)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:41 PM
hutchis
My Feedback: (8)

....During the maiden of your kit built ship, it suddenly occurs to you that the project is over, and a sudden sense of urgency sweeps over you as you begin to think about the next build......
Old 03-04-2013, 01:53 PM
RJStrickJR
My Feedback: (97)

ORIGINAL: rhall999

Whata laugh I have had reading through these and thinking to myself, "I've done that a time or three".

My contribution:

...if you have held the CA bottle to your ear and squeezed it to see if the nozzle is clear and gotten CA in your ear......shortly followed by trying to use your finger to clear it out and having to explain your finger stuck in said ear!

...if your wife is mad because she can't find the windex but you have2 bottles in your flight box and one on your bench because you are using it to form sheating on the leading edge.

...you have three extra kit boxes in your shop, one full of balsa bits, one full of plywood and spruce bits, and one full of10 or moresets of old plans.

...you have "waxed" small patches of your leg hair due to CA soaking through your pants making removal painful.

...you have enough wood and supplies to scratch build 3 or more airplanes at any given time.....and still stop in at the hobby shop because you were in the neighborhood.

I am still laughing! What's even worst about having the windex bottles is your wife finding said bottles in you shop or trailer after she had to look for them. i started using 409 so she dosnt get confused lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I must confess to all those below, which I've copied from prior posts!! 

You are on a first namebasis with your UPS guy<o></o>

You buy balsa at thehobby store even though you have boxes and sheets of it laying around, but youbuy it just because you may need it. <o></o>

..if your wife is madbecause she can't find the windex but you have 2 bottles in your flightbox and one on your bench because you are using it to form sheating on theleading edge.

...you have three extra kit boxes in your shop,one full of balsa bits, one full of plywood and spruce bits, and one fullof 10 or more sets of old plans.<o></o>

If you have ruinedalmost every shirt you own with CA or Epoxy.....

If you have more X-acto knives than pairs ofunderwear.....

If you have multiple Dremel tools so you don'thave to change bits as often...<o></o>

You go though morepapertowel in your workshop than you do in the kitchen...

You have used an actual "sock" to 
cover your iron at least once... (mineis still on the iron…)<o></o>

. if you cut yourselfwith an X-Acto blade, used CA to close the cut, and used kicker to speed it upso you could get back to building.  <v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/></v:shapetype><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_1" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/msn/biggrin.gif" style='width:11.25pt;height:11.25pt;visibility:vis ible;mso-wrap-style:square'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\shawkins\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.gif" o:title="biggrin"/></v:shape>[img]file:///C:\Users\shawkins\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\ 01\clip_image001.gif[/img]<o></o>

... if you have ever waited til everyone's gone to bed to unpackyour vehicle with the stealth of a Mafia hit man. <o></o>

If you have a hard time throwing away ANY woodscraps , because you KNOW they will be perfect for the next little project. 

<o></o>

Old 03-04-2013, 02:08 PM
warbdluvr

As I was reading these off to my wife and getting a good laugh, she added that you know you're a kitbuilders wife if you know better than to stand in the door of the man cave with nothing but a smile and make him choose lmao

God I love her !! lol

ORIGINAL: countilaw

You're a builder if the refrigerator has more bottles of CA than groceries.

your wife got new furniture in the den six months ago and you never noticed.

your wife was standing in the door to the man cave with nothing on but a smile, and you said, "I'll be there in
a minute. "

your wife got a divorce and you never missed her.

Frank

Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

You think Glue and paint is NORMAL everything you have to wear!
Your shop has so much stuff on your table you build over a trash can.
You are at a friends house and you spot a balsa glider in the trash and You offer to take out their trash.
Your wife gives you $20.00 to get Pizza Hut Pizza, and you get 3 for a dollar Tinos Pizza's from Wat-mart,
and Defend your actions?
You make a run to the LHS for a sheet of 1/16th Balsa, and come home with a New Project. 5 hours later.
You view every kitchen utensil as a potential building tool.
Your wife is scouting your shop for Her stuff.
If you think you can get Grilla glue off of your fingers.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:12 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm close. I ran a .062 drill through my knuckle. After SHE made me go to the ER, I got frustrated waiting for two hours to see a doc, I did what John Wayne would do...Stiff drink of whiskey, squeezed neosporin through the hole till it squirted out the other side, another drink and a band aid.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Great thread by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.