Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Should we move to RC Groups?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Should we move to RC Groups?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Should we move to RC Groups?

Um, you know that you can belong to more than one forum, right? I have been on this forum as well as others for RC Trucks and Cars as well as tanks. I find this is the best and most informative for general tank info and stuff coming up, but if you want detailed specifics sometimes another forum is better. For instance, I have not been here much since getting my 1/6 Stuart - there is info here, but other forums are specific to 21st Century or 1/6 or the Stuart, etc. This is a great forum, and I have a lot of respect both for the members (who have always come up with answeres for the most idiotic of my questions) and for the moderators. Some other forums are not so forgiving for disgressions... I have been banned for life from HPI Baja forum (NOT afilliated with HPI!) for talking about other forums- believe it or not! The others that got banned for life formed Baja Addicts, and HPI Baja will ban members that join Addicts! Yeah, a forum is only as good as it's moderators.

So in a nutshell, go ahead and join another forum. But keep active on this one. And if you have an issue with posting pics, upload your pics to a site like Photobucket and post a link instead. We all love pics, and it would be bad to not see your pics...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not going anywhere. All my friends are here lol. I have learned so much from here, and this is the site that started it all.....it just feels like home.

Cheers
Wade
Old 03-05-2013, 07:10 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Foxy,

pmerritt is telling the whinners to move to RC Groups. My comment had nothing to do with tanks, it didn't realize that this question started in RC Tanks.
I saw it in the top 15 forums and decided to comment. I have no problem with tanks.....Huge Patton fan, I have read every book about him and armor I can gey my hands on.

RCU Planes +
RCU Tanks +

Others -

Chris923
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like it here
Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I like what Dmon stated about you can belong to other forums...I do. But I find myself returning here over and over again. Like I said it feels like home, and I have met a great bunch of guys here. I even finally got bob aka the commander to attend the WWII show in reading, PA. Now if I could only return the favor and make it to a NEAD event lol. This is home.

Cheers
Wade
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: chris923

Foxy,

pmerritt is telling the whinners to move to RC Groups. My comment had nothing to do with tanks, it didn't realize that this question started in RC Tanks.
I saw it in the top 15 forums and decided to comment. I have no problem with tanks.....Huge Patton fan, I have read every book about him and armor I can gey my hands on.

RCU Planes +
RCU Tanks +

Others -

Chris923
Ah, gotcha, sorry, my misunderstanding. Cheers for explaining, I really did not get that from pmerritt's post the first time I read it.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to RC Groups when it's flying season, but otherwise tanks is where my heart is. I'm a member at a bunch of the others but rarely go to them but always check here, so it's the traffic. I'm just looking for conversation on an interest of mine. There's always something new here and something being discussed in some fashion. I'm not going to check on a place that doesn't change.

It also seems this place is more welcoming and has the least of the dreaded 'why don't you search first' replies. I don't get the point of forums that only have a new thread every few days and the first response is usually 'that question has been covered many times'.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys,
 I know you are frustrated. And trust me I feel the same pains as everybody else does with what's going. I know that when IB bought RCU they purchased a HUGE site that spans multiple operating system as well as many different servers. Because the original software that RCU was originally based on was not longer available, our previous owner and programmer Marc Vigod did most of the upgrades and improvements to the code himself. Unfortunately many of those changes weren't documented properly. So now when the programmers at IB try to make a change they find that 3 other things break. I know it sounds like a cop out, but that is the simple situation of what's going on here. Our programmers are working on getting RCU moved to another forum software, VBulletin. I don't want to say much more because we don't have a date yet and I don't want to put out info that may wind up being incorrect. But they are trying to move us over. But as I said, every time they try to change something, 3 others break.

I can't force you all to stay on RCU, but I would ask that you bear with us as we get it fixed. Many years ago I spent a lot of time here in the Tanks forums getting it cleaned up and running cleanly again, so I got to know a lot of you guys personally. You all are a neat group of modelers that have some unique skills. Don't spread it around, but I have a couple of small tanks myself that I play with from time to time. I don't get out to any meets because I don't know of any that are anywhere close to where I live, but I do have them and play with them. Also, back in 1980 (yes, my age is showing) I purchased a Tamiya Leapard RC tank that I kept for many years before selling it off. So I do identify with you guys here and I do hope that we can get you to stay on RCU. Things will get better. I know it's hard to see right now, but hopefully we can get you all to keep the faith and hang on for a bit. I know that the picture uploads seems to have been fixed and is working again.

Ken
Old 03-05-2013, 12:00 PM
Oracus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Myself and a bunch of friends did the same thing afew years ago and we have been happy at RcGroups. We had a very large thread that spanned about 7 years(one of the largest on this site) in the electric heli section. We got frustrated with the website issues picky moderation. Only reason I am here now is this tank section is better and more knowledgeable ppl.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Ronan87

Like I said before, this forum does things differently, which offers a different experience. Nothing wrong with that.
Other forums are setup differently to meet different criteria's, which is why most of us are members of multiple forums.
@pmerritt I'm not sure why you say that when we are having a constructive conversion... It comes off pretty immature.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I like it here. I have made some nice friends here.

I have even driven hundreds of miles to battle tanks with people I only heard about here on RCU. They were all nice, fun, peopleto meet inperson too! There are many others that I wish lived closer, like in this country, so I could meet them too. I live FAR from a big city, so this is my main portal to interact with other RC Tankers.

No... I will stick around here and enjoy the low key fun. It always is some kind of fun.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:56 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

To many good years here, not going anywhere else
Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the only hobby forum I check every day, usually more than once or twice. I regard everyone on it like "a friend I just haven't met yet". I have received encouragement, inspiration and help from a number of forum members. You just can't do better than that.
Rex
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM
no12skyline

I'd love to see a slightly more organised forum though. One for builds. One for general chatter. The War Room generally seems quiet and underutilised in comparison.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
FreakyDude

Freakydude and Immortal Hobbies will stay at RCU,  At least until we convert 3 Tamiya lovers to see the light    lol

the grass always seems greener on the other side but then again water your own lawn and see what happens
I do go to all the tank sites I can find though regardless of where they are, knowledge is good

Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM
tsull

I would like to point out that since I started this thread, no one has flamed me or wanted to toss my butt out. Although I was very frustrated over the posting of pictures (and other smaller site problems), this is a most civil and interesting thread.

And that's why I come here every day.

I want to thank everyone on this site for their assitance and help. And yes, I'm staying (sorry, more stupid wiring problems coming up)!

Thanks everyone.
tsull
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: tsull

This site is very frustrating. The only great part is the people and knowledge that has gathered here.
Any thoughts?
Don't flame me please/lol
tsull
Pleaase do. Don't let the door hit you on he butt on your way.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM
tsull

????
So much for constructive conversation.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going a you cant make me !
Not trying to sound mean but it was a silly first post...

Thanks RCU guys for your work.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM
tsull

No - not taken as mean. I couldn't understand why the site would run so slow sometimes and had so many problems. Now I understand what has happened and what they hope to do about it.
tsull
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

Since we are talking about some of the short comings of the site I wanted to ask if anyone has the same problem I have when trying to search.
I dont know what board to post this in. Anothe site I go to, HeliFreak has forum just for these types of threads. I really like Helifreaks site layout. hint hint. I like RCU too!

Anyway when I try and search for something I always get the forumid:226 thingy????

Well I was going to post a screen shot but it would not work. Something about fake path?? go figure

Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 PM
chadxp1
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: chadxp1

Since we are talking about some of the short comings of the site I wanted to ask if anyone has the same problem I have when trying to search.
I dont know what board to post this in. Anothe site I go to, HeliFreak has forum just for these types of threads. I really like Helifreaks site layout. hint hint. I like RCU too!

Anyway when I try and search for something I always get the forumid:226 thingy????

Well I was going to post a screen shot but it would not work. Something about fake path?? go figure

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23413.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1858709  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Ronan87

Don't worry mate, i'm actually surprised only 2 of them posted.

It IS a constructive conversation like i stated earlier, and apart from 2 members that came in with an immature attitude, it's been pretty productive.

Also to note forum administration posting to say they care and we can expect updates. 2 big thumbs up to that!

ORIGINAL: tsull

????
So much for constructive conversation.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, no real reason to change other than the thread search engine is essentially non existant. I haven't read the whole thread but was it mentioned that there is a tank forum already on RCGroups? Yes, we're not all there but you could always cross reference.

http://www.rcgroups.com/rc-tanks-502/
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 PM
streetsquid

For what its worth,
I thought tsull had a valid question, and I respect the man for asking it! I think he stood tall and asked the question (or made the point) many of us were thinking. Frustrations grow when technologies we use, and learn to rely on don't work as expected. I'm right in the middle of a pretty in-depth build thread and I was cursing and swearing right along with most of you about not being able to post pictures. It's often easier to get mad and lash out then it is to seek information and understanding.

But I think this thread has done a lot to prove the point that this forum is perhaps a bit different than others. Case in point, from post #1 - tsull fully expected and tried to deflect getting flamed - and for what, asking a question? Well I belive this thread has shown that even through adversity and frustration most of us see the benefit of this site and are for the most part willing to stick it out and show some loyalty. I know when I'm active on this sight I check it several times a day, and when life gets in the way and I go dormant for a while, I dont realize how much I miss it till I come back.

So we all have personal preferences and little things that would make it easier or more comfortable for us to search and navigate this site, none of it makes me want to leave. The fact that there were at least a half dozen different threads about the recent issues tells you that the members here care about this site and find value in its existence. The fact that moderator weighed in and shared some insight into the problems and what some possible future changes might be speaks volumes about the folks who run this and what they think of the membership.

I've cruised around some of the other forums, but I always seem to end up back here. I attribute that to the membership and their willing participation in threads and in sharing ideas, thoughts and processes, after all it's truly what keeps me coming back. RCU provides the vehicle that makes my solitary hobby a lot less solitary!

just my 2 cents!
Streetsquid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.