Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Plank Slope Soarer

Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM
PeterC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plank Slope Soarer

I built the RCM Little Plank way back when it was a new design and had a few successful if not spectacular flights with it. I have been considering building a new one however the airfoil seems to provide tons of parasitic drag with that high reflex on the upper surface. I know it would'nt be original but to my way of thinking an airfoil with a flat surface from the spar back to the hinge line on the upper surface would provide much improved performance plus a greater speed range. I currently fly a Winglet designed by Ron Fikes and this airfoil really performs well and has a tremendous speed range so I was thinking of using that airfoil on my next Little Plank. The original plane was used as a thermal glider thus the less than spectacular flights however if I build a new one it will be used mainly on the slope.
Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.
Peter
Old 03-04-2013, 09:57 AM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

If you change the airfoil it's no longer a Little Plank. Mine flies great stock, but I understand the desire to 'improve' it, and have no issue with it. Your choice.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

If you alter the airfoil to be something else then it'll just be a different version. No harm, no foul.

I always saw the Lil' Plank as a slope soaring sort of model where any airfoil issues were easily covered up by the pleantiful lift commonly found on a slope soaring sight. If your goal is to fly it as a thermal model then even with a new airfoil it's hardly the optimum sort of plank glider design.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 PM
PeterC

The idea is to fly it on the slope but to be able to handle some decent wind. The stock airfoil is really a one speed airfoil (slow) and a sleeker airfoil would allow it to fly in higher winds.