Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

might stop selling on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: might stop selling on ebay

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Start selling on amazon; Its a lot better.
sarcasm or no?
Ive only used amazon 2 times (as a buyer) and while it went smooth, I cant say I know anything about amazon and how it works.
No sarcasm.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:21 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Ill i hope is its not a scam....ive been trying to get some one to read this about 30 posts ago.

[link=http://www.terminaldigit.com/2009/12/26/the-ebay-snad-scam-how-to-get-anything-for-free-off-ebay/]ebay scam[/link]

This could very wellbe happining to u.... hope not.

Ive spent alot of time looking through the policys for ebay.com and paypal.
there is a few item not covered under there protection act. one for example is a motor vehicle....
U could argue that a nitro rc car is considered a motor vehicle and challange them to prove u wrong. ive checked and checked, and I cant find a list that says they are included. Somaby ask them where does it say where they are covered? and ask for a link

Quote this to paypal
''A motor vehicle or road vehicle is a self-propelled wheeled vehicle that does not operate on rails, such as trains or trolleys. The vehicle propulsion is provided by an engine or motor, usually by an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor, or some combination of the two, such as hybrid electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids.''

I have had one thought...... if u have a set of scales make sure the parcell weighs the same as a new one, if its does not dont accept the dilevery. it could be a box of rocks, and as soon as i sign for it u have paypal will refund the buyer. Paypal dont care whats in the box..... there are thousands of cases like this
just checked, and paypal's is basically the same!
13.3 Ineligible Items. PayPal Purchase Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:
•Intangible items, including Digital Goods
•Services
•Real estate, including residential property
•Businesses
•Vehicles, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats

I just called paypal and spoke with someone, pointing out that their policy doesnt cover motor vehicles and that the item sold is a miniture motor vehicle containing a combustion engine which uses fuel.
The person put a ''ticket'' with this information sent to the claims departement.
I dont think it will effect this claim, as they already have informed the buyer he can send it back for a refund....
but maybe consider adding RC models to that list.
We all know that nearly no brick and mortor strore would accept a Nitro model back once it sees fuel.
I also explained that the item included a starter kit with fuel....which he used and is not resellable at all. Paypal acts like the reason they have the buyer ship it back is so that if the buyer was lying the seller gets the item back and can re-sell it.
sweet, Dont know if it will effect anything, but its a good start.

Next thing to ask.... what happens if I receive the item and there is no problems/faults with it? or parts are missing?
paypal said I can open an appeal if the item is fine, of it stuff is missing, or even if its clear somehow that the buyer damaged it.
They say that to me like it makes everything all better. meanwhile, my paypal account has been short $200 for almost 2 weeks now.
But yeh, if the buyer returns the item and anything is fishy I do have course of action I can take.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Muttdog

I sell on both Ebay and Amazon. I do anywhere from $30k to $60K on Ebay per month and significantly less then that on Amazon. If you think Amazon is going to side more with the seller then you are terribly mistaken. Amazon has set the bar and is the reason Ebay has made a lot of the changes they have against the sellers. Ebay over the last 6 months has finally put in some policies to help sellers but they are still way behind. The problem as Ebay sees it is that sellers over the years have burned many customers and that is the reason their sales and membership has declined over the years. They saw a lot of their sales going to Amazon so they decided to get more in line with Amazon's policies. In the case with the car, the no returns policy would have been upheld if the customer did not want it but because he is stating the item is not as described then that overrides everything. If it were Amazon he would have filed an A to Z claim and Amazon would have done the very same thing. What I have learned on Ebay over the years is that volume is the name of the game. You have to be willing to accept a few losses like this per year or get out. I know it sucks and I have been in those shoes many, many times. It used to keep me up at night and now I just shrug it off. International buyers who claim they did not get their item even though tracking says it was delivered is a common one. Nothing we can do about it because there is no signature. I was told once by paypal that "it is just a cost of doing buisness" In the end I make my living off of these sites and even though it sucks sometimes and we get burned I do think it brings more buyers to the table because the stigma of the danger of doing business on  these sites is going away (for buyers).

Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Maximilionalpha

I say that any ebay seller who has ''no returns'' in their ads, are more than likely selling something that they know there's a problem with in the first place,warranty, or no warranty. The only items that I can see with a legit ''no returns'', are computer electronics and and other electronic items as such. I think that it's you sellers who buy things in bulk from warehouses and then list them on ebay, with ''no returns'' in your ads, who are trying to get over on buyers.
why would items which take fuel not be legit "no returns" items?

As a buyer on ebay, I wont buy from a seller that says "no returns". That is my option as a buyer. I can pick a seller who has the terms I want.

So I dont see a problem with me selling with a "no returns" policy. Buyers are free to accept that policy or buy from another seller with different terms. Its not like I have the market on what I sell, plenty of other Ebay sellers have Redcat stuff.
I had the "no returns" policy because the items I sell can be damaged by anyone who doesnt know how to operate them. And because Redcat is awsome about covering items that are defective.
And lets face it, with Redcat's prices on their RTR's (especially nitros) they attract alot of newbs. And those are the ones most likely to either not operate the model correct, or to be unsatisfied with their model when they realize nitro isnt "plug and play".
Again, had my buyer contacted me BEFORE he put fuel in it with an issue, I would have worked with him.

I do see your point tho, as I am sure there are sellers who buy stuff that may be damaged, with no warrenty, and sell it only caring about making an easy buck. But again, the buyer has the choice of accepting a sellers terms, or to shop elsewhere.
Seller sets the terms....but buyer chooses whether or not to accept them.
At least, thats how it should be. but buy from any seller and ebay/paypal will let you return the item anyway. Thats how it actually is.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

nuts,
the buyer shipped the package.
He will get his(my) money once it shows as delivered.
Tracking info doesnt show weight or any details yet.
Once it does, Ill compair to the original shipping weight.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 AM
x Wild Bill x

Nitrosport, when you receive the package, make sure you take a video of you opening the package and going through it to make sure everything is there and intact. Start the video before you even cut the seal on the box. This will give you proof to PayPal if there is anything missing or damaged and they will be much more likely to get you money back from the buyer. I have seen it happen several times on a different website. If you do not have a video it will be a he said, she said argument and there is no telling if you will be reimbursed for any damage or missing items.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I say that any ebay seller who has ''no returns'' in their ads, are more than likely selling something that they know there's a problem with in the first place,warranty, or no warranty. The only items that I can see with a legit ''no returns'', are computer electronics and and other electronic items as such. I think that it's you sellers who buy things in bulk from warehouses and then list them on ebay, with ''no returns'' in your ads, who are trying to get over on buyers.
I don't agree with that at all, it could be the person knows there is nothing wrong with it so if the buyer says it doesn't work it was their fault, I mean obviously you can get your money back threw Paypal pretty easy. lol
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Muttdog

I sell on both Ebay and Amazon. I do anywhere from $30k to $60K on Ebay per month and significantly less then that on Amazon. If you think Amazon is going to side more with the seller then you are terribly mistaken. Amazon has set the bar and is the reason Ebay has made a lot of the changes they have against the sellers. Ebay over the last 6 months has finally put in some policies to help sellers but they are still way behind. The problem as Ebay sees it is that sellers over the years have burned many customers and that is the reason their sales and membership has declined over the years. They saw a lot of their sales going to Amazon so they decided to get more in line with Amazon's policies. In the case with the car, the no returns policy would have been upheld if the customer did not want it but because he is stating the item is not as described then that overrides everything. If it were Amazon he would have filed an A to Z claim and Amazon would have done the very same thing. What I have learned on Ebay over the years is that volume is the name of the game. You have to be willing to accept a few losses like this per year or get out. I know it sucks and I have been in those shoes many, many times. It used to keep me up at night and now I just shrug it off. International buyers who claim they did not get their item even though tracking says it was delivered is a common one. Nothing we can do about it because there is no signature. I was told once by paypal that ''it is just a cost of doing buisness'' In the end I make my living off of these sites and even though it sucks sometimes and we get burned I do think it brings more buyers to the table because the stigma of the danger of doing business on these sites is going away (for buyers).

[&:]
[X(][:-][&:][:@][:'(] What the heck do you sell on ebay, drugs? lol
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My understanding, and I may be wrong is the following:

When a seller says "no returns" it means the seller will not accept a return from the buyer because the buyer decides he does not want or need or like the product.

When a seller says "no returns" he is not relieved of the responsibility to correctly describe his item. If the seller advertises the item to be new he is implying that the product is new, without defect, and complete. The buyer has a right to return the item to the seller if it was sold as new and turns out to be defective or incomplete or not new.

I think this is generally how it works on eBay and elsewhere.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

umm what about something that can be EASILY screwed up with on its 1st use by a novice like say a nitro RC... Nitro RC's are way more easily screwed up than almost any electronic and would be IMO more so in tune with no returns than electronics that you mentioned

I guess all brick, and mortar hobby shops you can walk in are then selling something they know there's a problem with as everyone I've been in or dealt business with have a no return on nitro gear once opened. Lets face it the dude even opened the fuel itself... I can actually just imagine the owner of the one LHS I know laugh in their face if they brought a bottle of nitro back after it's been opened with a RC they ran.

I bought a used nitro on ebay that the previous owner ran TWICE, and he totaled the engine. I doubt the engine had 10 minutes run time on it looking at the external condition of it and the condition the RC it was in. Guy ran it so lean(as I judged by the needle settings when I got it) the piston was damaged seems he didn't even break it in.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:43 AM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

i sold a turbine to 1st time buyer and Jet flyer in Netherland with video flight and ECU reading of 1.5 hours after the auction ended 2 year ago his buddy told him to send in for inspection which he was told it needed the upgrades cause it was an older P-80 and gave him an invoice he expected me to pay and PayPal gave him the $1300 back and i got a disasembled motor...i showed this to a Rep who says it was okay but the ECU was not sent in with it so Jetcat assumed it never got upgraded until to late...basically a paypal rep who flies heli,s say,s new guy knew nothing about Turbine,s and neither does Paypal BUT i still lost my case cause he had invoice of repairs this new buyer has not bought much since then but i have sold for 10 years and i always take my money out when paid so paypal didn,t get my money ..Their attitude is there is always seller to replace me but not alway a buyer and is making it easy for people to flock to scamming methods
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: vega406

i sold a turbine to 1st time buyer and Jet flyer in Netherland with video flight and ECU reading of 1.5 hours after the auction ended 2 year ago his buddy told him to send in for inspection which he was told it needed the upgrades cause it was an older P-80 and gave him an invoice he expected me to pay and PayPal gave him the $1300 back and i got a disasembled motor...i showed this to a Rep who says it was okay but the ECU was not sent in with it so Jetcat assumed it never got upgraded until to late...basically a paypal rep who flies heli,s say,s new guy knew nothing about Turbine,s and neither does Paypal BUT i still lost my case cause he had invoice of repairs this new buyer has not bought much since then but i have sold for 10 years and i always take my money out when paid so paypal didn,t get my money ..Their attitude is there is always seller to replace me but not alway a buyer and is making it easy for people to flock to scamming methods
Wow what an idiot, that would make me so mad.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

I haven't used ebay in years.. for this exact reason. Paypal is an absolute joke. Ebay is an absolute joke. I mean usually their prices are about 20-30 dollars cheaper than a hobby store or whatever. But then they want 40 or 50 dollars to ship it. You have to jump through all sorts of hoops. They charge a lot to sell itens. When you buy items there is a good chance they are over seas and it takes 3 weeks to get to you. Its just not worth getting burned when I can go down to the hobby shop build a relationship with the owner. Get way good deals and not have to worry about when my package is going to get here, go home and play with my toy the same day. Its so sad because this society has become I want it as cheap as possible/its never my fault/whine whine whine.
But ya anyways that's why I don't use online retailers/auctions anymore
plus everything nowdays is price to compete with the internet this isn't the early 2000'nds anymore.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

My understanding, and I may be wrong is the following:

When a seller says ''no returns'' it means the seller will not accept a return from the buyer because the buyer decides he does not want or need or like the product.

When a seller says ''no returns'' he is not relieved of the responsibility to correctly describe his item. If the seller advertises the item to be new he is implying that the product is new, without defect, and complete. The buyer has a right to return the item to the seller if it was sold as new and turns out to be defective or incomplete or not new.

I think this is generally how it works on eBay and elsewhere.

That's a very good point. I guess that answers my question of why they have the "no returns" option available to the seller for the listing.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
coxco
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUST DO BUSINESS WITH MONEY ORDERS ONLY. PAYPAL CAN'T GET MONEY ORDERS FROM YOU.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:00 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I haven't used ebay in years.. for this exact reason. Paypal is an absolute joke. Ebay is an absolute joke. I mean usually their prices are about 20-30 dollars cheaper than a hobby store or whatever. But then they want 40 or 50 dollars to ship it. You have to jump through all sorts of hoops. They charge a lot to sell itens. When you buy items there is a good chance they are over seas and it takes 3 weeks to get to you. Its just not worth getting burned when I can go down to the hobby shop build a relationship with the owner. Get way good deals and not have to worry about when my package is going to get here, go home and play with my toy the same day. Its so sad because this society has become I want it as cheap as possible/its never my fault/whine whine whine.
But ya anyways that's why I don't use online retailers/auctions anymore
plus everything nowdays is price to compete with the internet this isn't the early 2000'nds anymore.
but my LHS (the best stocked one) it costs me $8-10 in gas to go there, pay 30% more for an item (have to add on the 10% tax), just to be told to come back in 3-4 days as they have to order the part, so I spend $10 more in gas. VS paying $15 to have it shipped to my door in 3-4 days, and paying 30% less on top of that.
NOW if I want a traxxas SURE the LHS is the place to go as the 30% extra fee isn't that big of a deal as I'd be overpaying already they have like every single traxxas model there too that they keep trying to push, but they don't even stock the parts to those models anymore as last time I went I wanted a shock spring was told to come back in 3-4 days, the STOCK pinion same story, and they only had the rear arms that time when I wanted front RPM(and it was for a merv which they sold so it wasn't some rare vehicle)... All of which I ordered off ebay, and had shipped to my door for $1-2 less than they charged for the part, not counting the $10 in gas I'd have blew going to the LHS.
Then they don't stock almost any parts for the greater majority of my other 20 vehicles so they are kinda not worth dealing with(they used to stock parts, but they jumped on the traxxas bandwagon).
Old 03-06-2013, 02:01 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

wow, that makes what happened to me small bananas.
sorry man.

Less here is, dont sell on ebay, just buy. No matter what happens, if you are the buyer YOU are protected.
Paypal and Ebay have these policies because it makes THEM look good to buyers. It does not nessesaraly produce a fair and reasonable selling/buying environment.

Their policies would be different if the money came out of their pockets. Then they might take the time to fully examine a claim, require some proof from the buyer and actually learn a thing or two about the item in question.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

sorry man.

Less here is, dont sell on ebay, just buy. No matter what happens, if you are the buyer YOU are protected.
Paypal and Ebay have these policies because it makes THEM look good to buyers. It does not nessesaraly produce a fair and reasonable selling/buying environment.

Their policies would be different if the money came out of their pockets. Then they might take the time to fully examine a claim, require some proof from the buyer and actually learn a thing or two about the item in question.
why I quit ages ago
Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

sorry man.

in my case the money did come out of thier pocket i pull it out with Paypal debit card at an ATM the minute i get paid..so i have a negative they want and won,t get so i did get money for the turbine but lost ability to sell but who care,s...they got the buyer they wanted who only bought a few more small items since then.. i was a power seller for awhile and have several things i would like to put back on but don,t trust them anymore.. i will say i talked to them many time,s during and all verbally agreed with me but was not up to them... claims department wanted me to show more proof DUH all i or anyone has is video of running and ECU timer
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

paypal said I can open an appeal if the item is fine, of it stuff is missing, or even if its clear somehow that the buyer damaged it.
They say that to me like it makes everything all better. meanwhile, my paypal account has been short $200 for almost 2 weeks now.
But yeh, if the buyer returns the item and anything is fishy I do have course of action I can take.
Cool man, I hope it works out for ya.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM
ssautter

I stopped selling on feeBay after the policies changed to charge "final value fees" on shipping.

It's understandable that somesellers were attempting to hide their costs by offering items for $0.99 plus a large shipping charge.

However, the buyers can also offer feedback for the fairness of the sellers shipping costs? So, it's a catch-22to charge fair shipping through eBay.

"FORTUNE" magazine claims eBay "is Back!", in its February 25th, 2013 issue: Volume 167 Number 3. But, the "red-hot" stock prices could indicate a discrepency, elsewhere.

As far as I'm concerned, the eBay bubble has burst. Many reputable vendors have started legitimate online businesses, with the help of eBay.

But, the flees are pushing people away....

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I stopped using ebay and paypal altogether when they started this policy of always siding with the buyer, especially since, during the old days when they primarily sided with sellers, I got bitten for over $400 (as buyer) in two transactions that went south (goods never turned up, paypal unwilling to do anything due to the fact it was over 30 days lapsed, despite my explaining that during holiday periods and such, it can easily take 30 days to get a large parcel to Greece AND through customs).

Paypal and eBay are a bad joke for anyone not in the US, and still more trouble than they are worth for those that are.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:13 PM
wayneparrish
My Feedback: (16)

I think you can still ask for a postal money order for your sale and thats what i have done on several items I have sold on Ebay.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
crash118s

ebay has gotten rediculous!  they are charging fees on just about everything, nd when someone pays you through paypal they take fees out of that too!  id rather sell it to someone in person!  i stopped selling on ebay a couple of months ago.  its just not worth the fees, the hassle of dealing with people who dont know what they are doing, and if someone files a bad rating on you cuz they didnt know what they were buying ebay lets it stand and wont take it off.  its stupid
Old 03-07-2013, 03:41 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As I have just discovered, what you put on your ebay ad means nothing.

I sell redcats. I sold a new shockwave nitro buggy to a person who messaged me and said ''i got the car today, started it up and the motor sounded like it was going to explode, so I just off the motor and put it in the box. It is not working right, I want a refund.''

Not the kind of message I like to find, but Redcat warrenties their stuff and it doesnt even sound like its broken.

I told him no returns, as it is stated in my ad.
I told him how to contact redcat for warrenty issues,
I linked the ''how to videos''
I explained how to break in a nitro motor.

I asked him what he thought was broken.

Without answering any of those questions, He filled a Paypal claim, saying it was ''internally damaged'' and ''externally damaged''

Even tho I emailed Paypal and called them, explaining what a nitro RC is and that his own words tell me the model works...He just doesnt know how to work it....Paypal has sided with him. I was told the buyer said the radio is damaged, and that even tho its warrentied my ad said it was new and thus he has the right to return it and get a refund.
Well, my ad also said no returns.

All this guy has to do now is ship the item to me and provide proof of delivery to Paypal and he gets his money.

So guys, it doesnt matter what you put on your ebay ad. You can say ''no returns'' but Paypal controls the world and your money.
My money is now in limbo. If the buyer ships the item, my money is gone and all I will have is a shockwave that Ill be lucky to get $80 for on ebay.

I love how the world gives to those who lie and screws honest people.

At all but the big box stores, any item which takes fuel cannot be returned once fuel has been added. Why paypal doesnt recognize that is beyond me. I told them I cannot resell the item as anything more than a roller, since the buyer could have damaged the motor.

I only make $200-$300 per month selling on ebay. If any joe-shmo who decides they dont like their purchase can return their model (even tho my ad states they cannot) because paypal will simply overrule my desicion as a seller then I cannot afford to take the risk of selling on ebay!

I feel your pain. I use to sell a ton on Ebay and have only been burned a couple of times. I too did a few hundred a month UNTIL EBay and Paypal raised all their fees. My profit instantly went from $500-600 a month to $250-$300 and it just wasn't worth it to me to deal with the headache.

Paypal is a joke.. You can give them all the proof in the world and they will always side with the buyer. I once sold a car to a guy a few towns over and shipped it UPS per his instructions. US delivered the package and got a signature. Buyer said he never received it and Paypal gave him the money back.... Total BS..
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I am surprised Paypal doesn't understand what we do, one lean run or put in the dirt without filter and it is done, so obviously the person handling your case is not... smart. One idea is to sell parts only. Some guys do that, break up the kits and sell separately. Just an idea to stay in business with reduced risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.