Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Alright, who was it?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Alright, who was it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alright, who was it?

ORIGINAL: Pantherman2

You dont seem to have much faith in the government you people elected
The problem are the ones that put all their faith into the government they elected.

Marty
Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 AM
tfarmer96

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

ORIGINAL: ira d

I think it may be time for the federal gov to regulate model aircraft operations because of the technology that has come to be available to average modeler in the
last few years, I also think the regulations should be fair and not intended to ban or severely restrict any one area of modeling, Also I think any regulations that
come about should apply to all modelers AMA or not.

Lol. You want the govt to regulate your hobby? They can't even balance a checkbook, the last thing anyone needs is them having more power.

+1
Old 03-07-2013, 06:26 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK Guys let's keep the politics out of this one.

I am letting it run for the moment as the incident mentioned in the OP has the potential to have a significant impact on our hobby.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

I fly at a field where several guys fly MM fpvs and although I think it is a novel branch of our hobby, I don't think they are safe and the potential for someone outside of our hobby using the technology for bad intent is there. I would have no problem with the FAA banning such FPV aircraft. To me it would be worth it to sacrifice the joy of a few pilots to protect the flying rights of the vast majority of all the rest of us. I hate government intervention, but, when you have some moron flying in or near the flightpath of a major airport, perhaps it is time for them to step in. I hope they catch the guy.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cynic in me thinks that this could be a set up, that any government could use to give weight to bringing in regulations to restrict flying in the airspace above their country.

Mike
Old 03-07-2013, 08:58 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

The cynic in me thinks that this could be a set up, that any government could use to give weight to bringing in regulations to restrict flying in the airspace above their country.

Mike
They will work "fast and furiously" when they want to get an agenda going but to not make my post a political statement, I will say that it is up to the officers and members of our clubs to be aware of the rules concerning FPV flying. Even though people with no RC experience are able to buy these and fly them out of the box, there are many who are experienced and members of clubs who are not following the guidelines the AMA has set forth. At the very least we can police our own so when it hits the fan, we can at least show we have been following our own guidelines.

Marty
Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Why do they keep showing Predators or other legitimate drones in these articles.  This was a Parrot, an AR "Drone", a toy!  And it was a uncaring person who will ultimately cause a lot of grief for our hobby!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike
just like the gun control
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

[quote]ORIGINAL: gunradd

Also trust me you don't want the FAA involved. They will simply just ban everything with very strict guidelines. If you think for one second they can make an informed fare decision you are very wrong. End of gunrad quote.

Larryak reply.A voice of experience with the FAA. They have an iron fist, unlimited funding and enough Lawyers to close us down if one model airplane goes through the windscreen of an aircraft , especially an airliner. No I'm not a "doom and gloom guy" just relying on my past experience. Seems strange too that so many of us (me included)have witnessed or are awareof these drone type aircraft being flown dangerouslyby fellow modelers and we have not spoken up. The only people who can police our ranks is, and should be ,US.Larry
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: JohnVH

Mike
just like the gun control

Yes, there are some politicians who would like to control everything, with no fear of being shot by a citizen or comrade.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've had to step in and remove a few posts. Let's keep the discussion on the topic of the drones. If/when we start bringing talk of the government into the discussion that is fine as long as we keep the discussion on the current topic. Any other political commentary will be removed. I know that sometimes it's hard to know where the line is between discussing government actions and political commentary, but you need to find it. Basically, and comments that don't have to do with the current topic are going to be considered political commentary and will be removed.

Hope this makes sense to everybody!

Ken
Old 03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ok guys, I've had to step in and remove a few posts. Let's keep the discussion on the topic of the drones. If/when we start bringing talk of the government into the discussion that is fine as long as we keep the discussion on the current topic. Any other political commentary will be removed. I know that sometimes it's hard to know where the line is between discussing government actions and political commentary, but you need to find it. Basically, and comments that don't have to do with the current topic are going to be considered political commentary and will be removed.

Ken
I understand, but it's the politic's that got us into this mess.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM
tulz161

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Ken
I believe it was the moran flying his drone by an airport...
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I think that we should seperate ourselves from all drone, fpv and any other methods we are flying without our own eyeballs on our models as well as the people that fly them.-I tried expressing this idea to the AMA over a year ago and was told that we need to embrace this and thus now they are trying to legislate the method.

We cannot legislate common sense-who in the hell would be flying in the flight path of a major airport at that altitude and think there is no problem?
He needs to be jailed to protect the public.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
larryak
My Feedback: (32)

Ken
Sport pilot. Guess all the rest of us missed something. Would you please explain what part politics played in some idiot flying a model aircraft/drone (we dont know yet)in the flight path of an airliner landing at a major airport?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
ira d

Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
ira d

ORIGINAL: larryak

Ken
Sport pilot. Guess all the rest of us missed something. Would you please explain what part politics played in some idiot flying a model aircraft/drone (we dont know yet)in the flight path of an airliner landing at a major airport?
+1
Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
RCPROPSNAPPER
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

ORIGINAL: phlpsfrnk

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Ok, so this is an Alitalia flight arriving at JFK, I bet a 7t47 or a large 777, maybe a -67. @3 miles from JFK, you are very much on final at your middle marker with your landing clearance already granted. All eyes are on the VASI lights, checklists, and the runway in front of you. My best guess you are at ~ 165kias and slowing down fast.

How in the world can you spot a quadcopter, and distinctively see 4 props. I see a lot of imagination on this report. I can imagine a heli, or a lighter airplane spotting a small UAV, but not a heavy jet on final.

just my conspiracy theory......

David
It has been identified as a 777-200 which has an approach speed of 136 kts and a stable approach speed is not flown ''slowing down fast''.

Regards
Frank
I cannot imagine a 777 flying at 136 kts 3 miles out in an airport as busy as JFK.....but then again it is possible.
That would be his approach speed on final. 3 miles is short final for an airliner.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

How do you regulate stupidity? There are people out there with little or no knowledge flying r/c stuff and think they are Waldo Pepper!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:31 PM
SBS_Pilot

Every political and regulatory issue aside, what is the worst case scenario if an airliner hits a model aircraft (whether it's a FPV, glider, F3A, etc) of reasonable size, let's say less then 4 kg?

I guess it could inflict very, very expensive damage to an engine, but is there any way at all it could cause a crash? Is a sudden loss of an engine on the final more than the plane-pilot-combination can handle? Is there any vital instruments or sensors outside an airliner that could be harmed in a collision and then cause the pilots to misjudge the landing?

And if it's just(?) money concerned, what would you estimate the cost for, let's say, an engine repair of an airliner? (Would it be more than I earn for a decade?)
Old 03-08-2013, 07:17 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: SBS_Pilot

Every political and regulatory issue aside, what is the worst case scenario if an airliner hits a model aircraft (whether it's a FPV, glider, F3A, etc) of reasonable size, let's say less then 4 kg?

I guess it could inflict very, very expensive damage to an engine, but is there any way at all it could cause a crash? Is a sudden loss of an engine on the final more than the plane-pilot-combination can handle? Is there any vital instruments or sensors outside an airliner that could be harmed in a collision and then cause the pilots to misjudge the landing?

And if it's just(?) money concerned, what would you estimate the cost for, let's say, an engine repair of an airliner? (Would it be more than I earn for a decade?)
There are vital sensors on the outside of a plane such as airspeed but they are redundant and a failiure is not likely to cause a crash. However
a collision with a airliner with a model plane could easily cause tens of thousands in damage.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

If U draw a line from the thresh hold of 31R @ KJFK  on the center line of the runwauy at 3 miles @ 1041 MSL U are over the SE Edge of a golf course.   At 5 miles  U are over what's called 3 Cornered Hassock a marsh,@ about1677 MSL. Then under the FAF Final Approach Fix for ILS 31R at ZULAB Intersection 5.7 NM  @ 1900' Msl your over the Eastern shore line of Harbor Isle ...  Now subtract 49' the TCH the Threshold Crossing Height from the MSL altitudes and U have the verious heights above Ground Level AGL at the distances. ...      Now just where did that Itiallia Capetian say he saw this Quad Copter?

ILS or LOC RWY 31 (JFK)

https://www.duat.com/graphics/TPP/IA...ar2013_%29.pdf

Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
HoundDog

ORIGINAL: ira d

ORIGINAL: SBS_Pilot

There are vital sensors on the outside of a plane such as airspeed but they are redundant and a failiure is not likely to cause a crash. However
a collision with a airliner with a model plane could easily cause tens of thousands in damage.
Ya look what a couple of 4 lb geese did to Capt. Sullivan?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
HoundDog

I'll bet I know whose Quad it was. 2 weeks ago or so we had a guy at the Arizona Model Aviators Field have one just fly away on it's own ... he said it had a big battery.
 Sorry - Names Omitted to protect the Guilty.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:03 AM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

I'll bet I know whose Quad it was. 2 weeks ago or so we had a guy at the Arizona Model Aviators Field have one just fly away on it's own ... he said it had a big battery.
Sorry - Names Omitted to protect the Guilty.

That would also explain these reported UFO crop markings in Kansas as it made it's way from AZ.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15556.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	1859555  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.