Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Flight Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Red Kadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight Boxes

Hi All; Just getting back into the hobby and was getting things together and it struck me.. after reading forums for days,
Idon't think I've read any thing about fight boxes or what knot.

1) What do you think makes a good flight box
2) What should/needs to be in it?

Just wondering
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Flight Boxes

A must on any flight box:
Fuel Gallon Holder, Power Panel with fuel pump/ glow igniter/starter connections, 12v batt, starter, electric fuel pump,
tachometer, drawer for misc tools, glow plug igniter. In the drawer I always keep allen wrenches, a pair of long nose pliers, adjustable wrench, screw drivers, glow plugs, CA adh, zip ties, glow plug wrench, control horns, servo arms, clevises, etc. Also extra props and baby wipes (they are excellent for cleaning your nitro plane after flights). I think that covers 90% of what you need.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 AM
bikerbc

I made my own flight box 30 yrs ago and I am still using it .. It has a power panel but you really dont need one..The only thing I use mine for is hooking up my elect starter and I could do that with the clips that come with the starter...Keep your flight box as light as you can ..I have found that I can go to the thrift store and pick up something like a lunch kit or two and I will use it for putting some different glues and a bit of wood that I might need for emerg repairs..And in another box maybe some more tools that might come in handy.These can stay in your vechial untill you need them ...You will notice different things that you need as time goes on... You will need and elect starter , and a battery to power it ..A glow driver , 6 inch cresent wrench , needle nose pliers , a set each of standard and metric allen wrenches , A fuel jug with fittings and a fuel pump either elect or hand crank..,A spare glow plug or two also a spare prop , a glow plug wrench , the 4 way kind that fits your prop nut is good , a few screw drivers ..Saftey glasses . A hat with a brim..I carry a rag and some spray cleaner I make to clean my plane .
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Your question has a lot of room for subjectivety.

As far as what needs to be in a flight box aside from the obvious, fuel, fuel pump, glow starter, engine starter, etc. I also carry a glow plug wrench, spare glow plugs, push rod clevis, control horn, small screwdrivers for adjusting needle valves, larger screw drivers, wrenches, and allen wrenches for removing spinners,props, wing bolts, landing gear, etc. I also keep needle nose pliers and tweezers for picking up dropped screws and fishing fuel tubing thru a cowl, a tachometer, and some paper towels.

As far as what makes a good flight box: When I was doing most of my flying at the club field which had starting tables, my flight box did not have to pull duty as a restraint for my plane, so I tried using a large tool box. Worked fine at the club field, but now I do a lot more flying at home and other places that don't have starting tables, so I went back to using a flight box that has cradles for holding the plane while I start it.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing that you can be sure of... Whatever you put in it you will need the tool that is at home on the bench. No matter what you decide to do keep it as light as you can. There is nothing worse than toting your tools to the field then needing a rolling toolbox to get it all to the flight line and assembly area. I know, I used to use a rolling toolbox and have gone back to just a flight box. I figure it is easier to take more than one plane and if one needs a fix or repair and you don't have the tools handy ....fire up the other one.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:28 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I carry what fits in the Hobbico Ultra Tote. I've used it forever. I don't have the plane cradle on top anymore because most of my planes are too big for that feature anymore. I don't overflow the box or drawer with too many parts and tools because I just prefer to do repairs at home where I can take my time and see better. Luckily I live close enough that I just come back the next day to fly again. Pretty much carry basics mentioned...the plastic gallon of glow, panel, wired glow starter, electric fuel pump, tach, ni-starter, overflow container (small old fuel tank), small spray bottle of cleaning liquid, rags, glow wrench, adjustable wrench, screw drivers, Allen wrenches, HEMOSTAT (very useful), hobby knife, glow plugs, small container extra screws, bolts, and club membership card, haha. I carry the electric starter by itself. AND like hookedonrc above, I try to take two planes to the field. It is rare that both can't fly the same day for some reason. Jon
Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Qtips for getting dirt out of the carb on noseovers, extra rubber bands for the wing, plugs, 1/8" round file and a small flat one, extra props of different sizes for noseovers and maybe go faster or do better prophanging or?  Make sure the hole fits in the motor. Wheel collars with screws in instead of setscrews.  Make sure the box will not slide or tip over in the trunk and hit your models.  If you can't, make sure it fits in the front seat, or in a corner where it will do no damage to the plane when turning a corner.  I like the corded glow starter with an adjustable glow on the power panel so you have a glow that will actually start a motor, and the needle tells you when the plug is blown.  The little 1.2 v glowdriver toys are ok for a quick start on the field but not very dependable.  And like everyone else says, keep it light, hemostats, plugs, I have inch and metric foldup allen wrench sets, and a few screwdrivers for head bolts and servo screws, and a small adjustable.  Oh and a pen and paper to list things that you have tried and didn't work  or worked better, or for phone# etc.  Some guys have a two piec toolbox with a detachable starter and plug driver tray for running out to the field quick  or for pit stops.  Oh and a spare control line handle and clips.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

K Mart once had a sale on the plastic rolling tool boxes for about $20.00 so I have been using that for a long time. I do have my old power panel installed but other then my electric pump or the glow driver in the winter I don't use the panel much. John Buckner posted photos and gave us the number for the Harbor Freight battery he uses for his starter, 18 volts and that is what I have on my starter so I don't bother with the 12 volt hook up on the panel. I use the stick igniter too so most the time the panel isn't used. During the winter when it gets cold then I do use the panel for the glow driver to get a bit more juice to the plug. This rolling box is big enough to keep everything needed in it, almost a shop in itself. Over time you will discover what you need and your flight box will get pretty heavy, just the nature of the beast.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
bchapman

I use this Byron Pit Pal. I've never seen anyone at the field with one and I get a lot of comments on it. It's about the only thing Byron sells anymore except fuel. It holds a power panel, battery, fuel pump and is about indestructible. You might check it out. They're really nice if you call or e-mail them and will send it right out.

http://www.byronfuels.com/pages/gear_accessories.html

The only other thing I will tell you is to try and stay away from the Chinese made flight gear that most of the hobby shops purchase. Get a Sullivan starter, SonicTronics fuel pump, McDaniel glow driver or other American made brands. You'll find they last longer and are much better quality. A little more money and you'll have to order them most likely, but worth it in my opinion.

All of the suggestions made previously by other posters on what to buy are good ones.

Brian
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Do you work on your planes at home/shop or do you work on them at the field?  If you checkout and make repairs prior to going to the field then you won't need much more than what has been outlined as the "basics". If you are the type to just throw the stuff in and hope for the best then you will need a rolling box with all kinds of tools, spare parts, etc...etc... !  I've seen some guys who routinely  do this and they need a rolling shop truck  at the field to get their planes in the air!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Kadet

Hi All; Just getting back into the hobby and was getting things together and it struck me.. after reading forums for days,
I don't think I've read any thing about fight boxes or what knot.

Just wondering
1) Shopping basket
2) First aid set
ehh
ehh
see the picture

Basically all tools to handle all screws nuts adjustments etc
Service equipment.

Most important is my check list to check the content of the basket before leaving home because there are special tools I also use in the workshop and the amount is growing with diversity of models.

Taurus Flyer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86977.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1859642  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Taurus Flyer

double post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I bought a huge rolling plastic tool box. And it is too small.
This has to carry equipment and tools to fly electric, glow and gas planes and helicopters.
I have a lawn mower battery in it so I have to charge it maybe twice each season.

Many people don't like power panels, I think it's convenient. You don't need to worry about another battery to charge.

The tools you need will depend on what you fly. A set of allen wrenches, glow plug wrench, crescent wrench, screw drivers, exacto knife,
Glue, variety of pliers, screws, spare plugs, wheel collars, spare servo, maybe a spare rx battery, clear tape to repair small holes in the covering, fuel pump(s), starter, and of course the item you left at home (always something )
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
lopflyers

Go to the dark side, then you only take batteries and charger.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM
bchapman

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Go to the dark side, then you only take batteries and charger.

Maybe if you're going really bare minimum or something. You still need quite a bit of the other gear as well, unless you do any repairs at home.

I've seen quite a few of the guys that fly electric helicopters and they have some really expensive chargers and a lot of field equipment. Even fixed wing guys have quite a bit, electric or not.

I guess the equivalent would be a nitro guy showing up with a jug of fuel with a hand-crank pump on the bottle and a glow igniter.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:19 PM
yates55

Be sure to take a chicken stick with you as your electric starter might not work
Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

I always bring 2 boxes. A light one to carry out to the field and a heavy one for the car. I have about a 60 foot distance between the parking lot and the flight line and every pound counts. I cheet and use an old luggage cart to wheel the box out and a short leash around the prop tied to the box so I only make 1 trip. After the first few fly days you will know what you want with you, in the car, and left at home. Welcome back to the hobby.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Taurus Flyer

ORIGINAL: yates55

Be sure to take a chicken stick with you as your electric starter might not work
What is a electric starter ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkmhAYcWgjE
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Being as you are talking about flightboxes. My father and I went to a Scale-fly and, being as we arrived late, we had to park a long way from the start up box. I had my B-25 and carrying it and the flightbox that far gave me a wild idea. Remote controlled flightbox! With a retractable dog-leash of course to tow the plane. I had a few old torn up Power wheels at the house that my kids had pretty much destroyed so I went to work. The end result works pretty good. Powered by 2 5000 Mah 3 cell lipo batteries that used to run my Rustler, They run the power panel too, it will pull a 12 ft telemaster and has no problem toteing a 40-60 sized trainer on top.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63600.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1859744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75700.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	1859745  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:06 PM
bchapman

ORIGINAL: yates55

Who needs a chicken stick, or an electric starter for that matter?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM
bchapman

ORIGINAL: James c harrell

Being as you are talking about flightboxes. My father and I went to a Scale-fly and, being as we arrived late, we had to park a long way from the start up box. I had my B-25 and carrying it and the flightbox that far gave me a wild idea. Remote controlled flightbox! With a retractable dog-leash of course to tow the plane. I had a few old torn up Power wheels at the house that my kids had pretty much destroyed so I went to work. The end result works pretty good. Powered by 2 5000 Mah 3 cell lipo batteries that used to run my Rustler, They run the power panel too, it will pull a 12 ft telemaster and has no problem toteing a 40-60 sized trainer on top.
I bet you get a lot of comments on that machine!

That's ingenuity...awesome, I love it
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 PM
oil_can_harry
My Feedback: (2)

I use a standard Hobbico flight box for my fuel, battery, and glow lighter. I took my old Plano tackle box and converted it to my plane accessory box. It has enough room in the top for 4 screwdrivers, 2 sets of pliers, 2 sets of needle nose pliers, z bend pliers, 2 box cutters, q tips, a small bottle of ca glue, small hand drill, ruler, a few rubber bands, sharpie pen, 2 sets of hemosats, 3-4 props, tape measure, and a few odds and ends. It has 3 removable plastic bends below, and one is just for Allen wrenches, fuel tubing and control horns and clevis's. the other 2 are full of misc. nuts, bolts screws, a little Velcro, servo horns etc. I use this box on my work table when building planes along with other tools I have, but I take it to the field with me when I fly. Comes in really handy at the field. If I don't have a problem flying, I don't need it. But it's nice to have when you have a problem.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My set up is a standard plastic tool box because I like to prepare for essentially any repair or tweak that I would be willing to make at the flying field as opposed to waiting until I get home. It's not crazy heavy but definitely not for lugging about either. I built myself a minimalist "flight line box" as I call it that has my fuel can and a pocket for my wireless starter, glow driver, a couple of small screwdrivers for adjusting low speed needles, and a glow driver and plug wrench. That's the only thing that leaves the pit area. I also have a separate radio and charger case because I couldn't find any way to fit my electronics into my tool box without them getting damaged. For what it's worth, if you can attach a battery pack to your starter it is so much more convenient and a little safer than messing with a lead acid battery or a power panel.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Kadet

I don't think I've read any thing about fight boxes or what knot.

Just wondering
You need to tell us if you are going electric, glow or gas. That will determine what you need in your flight box. All three ways have different needs, and you don't need somethings for electric that you do for glow or gas.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 AM
lopflyers

ORIGINAL: James c harrell

Oh WOW
That is an awesome fly box, in reality need is the mother of invention

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.