Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

can i use lithium battery on TAMIYA leopard2?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

can i use lithium battery on TAMIYA leopard2?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM
NNBFAAA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i use lithium battery on TAMIYA leopard2?

i use ACE 7.2V nickel-hydrogen 4500mah battery for a long time,but it's too heavy for my leopard2 (battery weight 400g).

when i put on the battery at the rear of the turret,it is obvious that the rear of zhe tank is lower than thefront........the battery causes it i think.......

so,i want to chang the battery.i found different lithium battery on webside,7.4V 20C to 40C .....5000mah to 5800mah........ all are only weight 300g,but i don't know if they might cause damage to the DMD T-07 and the other parts galvanical.

if the 7.4Vlithium battery can be used on TAMIYA tanks,witch "C" should i chose?(20C to 40C?) thanks!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
mfpage

Default RE: can i use lithium battery on TAMIYA leopard2?

A 20C 2S Li-po battery will work great. I've been using them for over 1.5 years on my Tamiya Super Sherman and KV-2.

Mfpage

ORIGINAL: NNBFAAA

i use ACE 7.2V nickel-hydrogen 4500mah battery for a long time,but it's too heavy for my leopard2 (battery weight 400g).

when i put on the battery at the rear of the turret,it is obvious that the rear of zhe tank is lower than thefront........the battery causes it i think.......

so,i want to chang the battery.i found different lithium battery on webside,7.4V 20S to 40S .....5000mah to 5800mah........ all are only weight 300g,but i don't know if they might cause damage to the DMD T-07 and the other parts galvanical.

if the 7.4Vlithium battery can be used on TAMIYA tanks,witch "S" should i chose?(20S to 40S?) thanks!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:01 PM
NNBFAAA

thanks for the answer,your battery is 7.4V,right?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
mfpage

A 7.4V Li-po battery is a 2S. Sounds like your new to Li-pos so be sure to follow all safety instructions and respect them. Also buy a charging bag.

thanks for the answer,your battery is 7.4V,right?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
NNBFAAA

sounds i need to learn more about LI battery,thanks for your advice,dude
Old 03-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Rustytrax

Always try and charge them on a balance charger. The only issue I ever had was when I charged manually not balancing. The Batter did rupture but no flame. Smelled awful and I was driving at the time.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd make sure this is the route you want to take. Lipos are tricky and you need to use them carefully. I don't want to start a war over them or alarm you, Lipos are one of those sensitve subjects amongst RCers, just like Tamiya s HL.

I use them in planes, helis and my Kettenkrad, but have a healthy respect for them by experience: I had a 120mAh battery from an Ultra Micro AC burn up on me due to a short. It started getting hot in my pants pocket right before I sat in my car to drive home. I got it out and threw it on the ground where it produced a surprising amount of flame for an inch long battery. 30 seconds later and it would have been while I was in the car driving. That was all from an exposed contact inside the connector, nothing you would notice. My son burned his fingers picking an 80 mAh up after a crash once too.

You'll see hundreds of pics online of car and shop damage from lipo fires and yes it's almost always user error, that's why I say be careful and know the risks, especially when charging.

There's LiFe and Li ion too, which are safer.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM
hulu

check the battery session in bbs.5imx.com
You will get more information.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Been using Life's for about 3 years now.  Like them very much in tanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:57 PM
NNBFAAA

post 6 to 9 ,think you very much,i'll take your advice.

i just learn much about lipos on RCFANS.A friend has given me the link last night........i never knew him,but he s very kind!

after thinking and searching,i chose to buy DUALSKY 7.4V 60C 6300mah battery and the IMAX B6 charger.

can't wait to experience the power of lipos
Old 03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
NNBFAAA

thinks,i'm a member on 5IMX too,my ID there is the same as here,haha
Old 03-08-2013, 12:36 AM
mfpage

I expect that 60C battery is too much for the Tamiyas. You may toast the electronics. I strongly advise no higher than 20C. 20C is plenty of power.

Mfpage

NORDPAC S3

post 6 to 9 ,think you very much,i'll take your advice.

i just learn much about lipos on RCFANS.A friend has given me the link last night........i never knew him,but he s very kind!

after thinking and searching,i chose to buy DUALSKY 7.4V 60C 6300mah battery and the IMAX B6 charger.

can't wait to experience the power of lipos
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 AM
mfpage

Also, that 6300mah may not fit. Be sure of the measurements. I have a Super Sherman & KV2 with a 5000mah the largest size to fit nicely.

Mfpage
NORDPAC
Old 03-08-2013, 01:19 AM
NNBFAAA

thanks for the reply!

An expert on RCFANS told me to choose high C battery,he said C higher is better,and will make less heat..........just like the power supply of computer,a PC power supply with higher W make less heat when it working on the same load contrast to the power supply with lower W...........so as the C of battery........so i chose high C battery to avoid danger,i think safe is more imoprtant than the price of battery.

above is what he told me.

and the battery can fit my tank.........its size is the same as my old battery.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 AM
mfpage

True, but a tank does not generate any heat to speak of. A 60C is great for high power boats and some planes. On RC tanks the electronics are fragile. It is your tank and you can give it a try. Please keep us advised of what transpires.

Mfpage
NORDPAC S3

thanks for the reply!

An expert on RCFANS told me to choose high C battery,he said C higher is better,and will make less heat..........just like the power supply of computer,a PC power supply with higher W make less heat when it working on the same load contrast to the power supply with lower W...........so as the C of battery........so i chose high C battery to avoid danger,i think safe is more imoprtant than the price of battery.

above is what he told me.

and the battery can fit my tank.........its size is the same as my old battery.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 AM
NNBFAAA

thank you,but i still want to have a try,if something went wrong,that's my problem.

but" failure is the mother of success",right?if no one try it before,let me do it.

hope the battery can work steady with the DMD..........i'll tell you the result,no mater what happens.thanks again,dude

Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using LiPo on my tanks for a couple of years now. The C rating as I understand it is the max current draw... I made the mistake of buying a couple of 5000mAh 2c (7.4v) 15C packs and when I tried to use them the tank would start going then slow down. If I stopped it and restarted, it would start rolling again and slow down. The S rating is the voltage - 2s- 7.4v, 3S- 11.1v, 4S- 14.8V, etc. You need to use a 2S or will damage your electronics. As was said earlier, get a charging bag - LiPos are not to be trifled with and WILL explode/burn if damaged especially during charging. I do not use a bag - I have a modified .50 cal ammo box that I use. But same idea- contain possible explosion or fire... and do not leave it unattended.

I also have the Imax B6 charger and have added an octopus cable - has multiple connector ends so I don't have to search for the right one. I use Deans for everything, but my friends sometimes use my charger... It is a nice "easy" to use charger and works well for NicD and NiMH as well. And it's cheap!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:28 PM
NNBFAAA

thanks,your advice is very useful for me.

sounds the
5000mAh 2c (7.4v) 15C packs didn't work well on your tank.which battery you are using now?

modified .50 cal ammo box,good idea,but i think i never got a chance to have one in my country,sounds i should find one instead,Jokes,haha

but,really,i very envy you can touch real guns with less limitition,even the heavy weapons.in our country,owning or selling 1:1 model guns is illegal.lol

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM
mfpage

Please see post number 2.

Mfpage
NORDPAC S3
Old 03-10-2013, 01:07 AM
NNBFAAA

i received the battery this morning,and put it in my tank at once.

rolling outside for 2 hours without any problems.it worked pretty good.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. Be careful charging it.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
RC19

HI it would a good idea to put low voltage alarm on your lipo you dont want to go below 3.5 volts you could damage your lipo , again use the safety bag. bye