Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Everything Diesel
Reload this Page >

Are these engines any good for sport flying?

Community
Search
Notices
Everything Diesel Discuss R/C Diesel engines here.

Are these engines any good for sport flying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:06 AM
franchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these engines any good for sport flying?

Hi.

Are the following diesel engines worth much for sport flying? Whar are your opinions of these engines?

KMD 2.5 Russian

M.D. Meteor 2.5 Russian

Marz 2.5 Russian

Mk 17 1.48cc Russian

Thank you,

Franchi
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 AM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Are these engines any good for sport flying?

I have no Russian made engines if they have and R/C carb or one can be fitted should be fine martin
Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The KMD 2.5 Russian, is a real good engine, it turns up fast and will be suitable for a team racer.
The Marz 2.5 Russian, is a good tempered sport engine
The Mk 17 1.48cc Russian is a sweet engine good for sport use also.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM
raglafart
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: controlliner

The KMD 2.5 Russian, is a real good engine, it turns up fast and will be suitable for a team racer.
The Marz 2.5 Russian, is a good tempered sport engine
The Mk 17 1.48cc Russian is a sweet engine good for sport use also.

I'll second that owning examples of all 3 and also agree that the MK 17 is a sweet thing

The only thing I'd mention is that there are two KMD versions, the good one and the one to avoid. Only buy the one with the black cylinder and prop drive/nut assembly. The plain alloy versions were very variable in quality so while you might get a good one, you may also get a rubbish one. The prop drives also tend to split on the plain alloy ones
Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They can all work for sport flying. Usually you fly without the throttle, but one could setup a servo controlled free flight cutoff device if they like. But simply using a fixed fuel pickup works as you only have to fly inverted for a few seconds to kill the engine. Some engines aren't too difficult to mount a small RC carb on too.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 PM
maxtenet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't say whether u need a throttle or not. The hot setup for the MK 17 is an O.S. 10 throttle and they are beautiful in terms of response. Totally agree with the post about the KMD. The Black cyl. and prop washer ones are the only way to go. If u don't need a throttle the others are fine engines. I have a few examples of each and they are perfectly acceptable. I will say that the Meteor is better as a glow engine because of the porting.

Max
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Recycled Flyer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: franchi
Whar are your opinions of these engines?
They are all very good for pulling apart and learning the art of disassembly and reassembly, as well as tinkering with things like timing, gas flow, and generally getting to know miniature engines and how they work.

That is exactly what I used my Marz for, a learning tool. And it is no big deal if I ruin it in the process.

The plus is with the Marz is that there is a very good article available on exactly how to do this over at Rons Model Engine site.

The negative with all but the Meteor is the rear induction - its not quite as easy to use as any front induction engine.

Good luck.