Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF P51 60 vs H9 Blue Nose

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF P51 60 vs H9 Blue Nose

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TF P51 60 vs H9 Blue Nose

I am considering a 60-90 size P51 for my YS 160 needing a home that I can carry easily with me when I travel.

Both look great although there seem to be some red flags with the H9 ... Example .. the 4.25" spinner looks whimpy. On the other hand the H9 gear 'looks' better. The canopy and dash, etc, loks much better on the topflight.

Any opinions or weigh in is appreciated. Someone who has experience with both would be awesome.

Thanks.
There may already be a thread on here with this subject ... if so I missed it.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Dash7ATP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF P51 60 vs H9 Blue Nose

ORIGINAL: ThunderBoat42

I am considering a 60-90 size P51 for my YS 160 needing a home that I can carry easily with me when I travel.

Both look great although there seem to be some red flags with the H9 ... Example .. the 4.25" spinner looks whimpy. On the other hand the H9 gear 'looks' better. The canopy and dash, etc, loks much better on the topflight.

Any opinions or weigh in is appreciated. Someone who has experience with both would be awesome.

Thanks.
There may already be a thread on here with this subject ... if so I missed it.
Too much engine for a .60 sized model. I have a YS 1.20 in a 73 ich P-40 and it's plenty of power. Plus, I'm guessing you'll have trouble cowling it in without having to cut holes in it.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Dash
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I am considering a 60-90 size P51 for my YS 160 needing a home that I can carry easily with me when I travel. "

Dash is totally right this engine is too big for either of these planes. The Top Flite is the only one that MIGHT handle this much power but you would be lucky it it did for long.

Maybe you should consider a parkzone foam mustang for travel. It is about a 40 inch wingspan and if you are capable of flying either plane with the 160 in it the Parkzone mustang would be an easy hand launch and it flies quite well. Plus you won't need an rc field to fly - just use common sense about where you fly. And be sure to get the right kind of charger and follow the rules when charging lipo batteries. You would ahve only a couple hudred dollars in it to have a flyable plane.

Have fun and be safe.

Ed
Old 02-22-2013, 05:36 PM
JWQ500RC
My Feedback: (2)

I have the Blue Nose, with a OS120 FS. The YS160 would be way too much for this plane. As far as flying the Blue Nose flies very well just don't slow it down too much it wiil tip stall. I don't have any experience with theTF P51, but my TF Corsair is very easy to fly and land.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's just say I have plenty of experience with flying RC and with many brands of P-51 including TF. The H9 P-51 is a horrible design in all respects, I pride myself in my landing technique and my ability through much study and practice to have excellent consistency with my landings. I could not land the H9 P-51 with the consistency I expect, trim was way off on the elevator, it was flying with 1/4" of down trim in the elevator. I would snap and spin coming out of the back of a loop, it would do elevator snap rolls with less elevator throw than what was called for in the manual. It's a pig and a total waste of money, mine never crashed I just got tired of the flying characteristics and did not want to sell it to another person so I tossed it in the dumpster.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
ThunderBoat42

Being new as a posting member, thank you for your input. 
Yes, I have considered an electric such as the one from Banana Hobby. 
http://www.bananahobby.com/petie-gia...1374-prd1.html

When I travel to Lakeland/Orlando area there are a few clubs I like to fly and love the nitro.  (yes I'm 50 and still like the smell of the nitro fuel) 

Re the H9 - there seems to be more negative than positive which is a shame as i like H9 products. 
I also notices a few comments in review that adding a couple of degrees up aeleron to create washout helps with the slow speed bad habits. It is a heavy wing load warbord though.

re the TF - found a nice thread with a lot of detail to include the retract options.  there is a lot of positive relating to the TF and a huge following.

I have the YS 160 on the shelf...  I thought i coudl shoe it in and fly are reduced throttle with a 4 blade prop like I had on my Extra 300. 

I am curious if the banana hobby P51 is worth the money.  A LOT of features included.for a reasonable price. 

Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thunderboat42, I have the Top Flite 60 size mustang. It flew fine with a OS 91 FS. However the engine came apart so I installed a DLE 20 gas engine. This increased the weight some but it still flys good. I had to mount the ignition battery all the way back in the tail by the tail wheel to balance. It flys like it is on rails, almost like a pattern plane. Take offs are not bad for a warbird and landing with flaps are relatively easy for a warbird. It will roll to the left in a stall, but at such a slow speed you would really have to work at it to screw up. Land on the mains, don't try three points. It gets too slow. I would recommend the TF. A member of the club has an H9. His engine quit while turning base. Couldn't make the runway although it looked as if he had enough altitude. It snaped on him and went intot the corn. My engine quit once, the TF glided in fine. I just left the gear up and landed on the grass runway. I'm using Robart 700 retract with robart struts. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80250.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1855160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hd94879.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1855161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45054.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1855162   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97750.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	1855163  
Old 02-23-2013, 01:23 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

I have had both.....thought I did everything right when assembling the H9 Blue Nose, plane "LOOKED" awesome but snapped on maiden takeoff.... then I got the TF, night and day airplanes, I used the dl20 in both planes...TF flew perfect on the 1st flight, had a few not so perfect landings and finally caught the gear and broke fuse apart. I am putting another together right now. I liked the way the TF flies and I always wanted a P-51 in my fleet...don't overpower, 160 would definitely be too much.

R/C Foolish
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM
ThunderBoat42

WOWRB - I like that finish.
That is great info from both and thank you. What you are saying seems very consistent with all others. TFis the top contender. the dle 20 is one of the power options I was looking at although I really hate to but an engine when I have one.
Same here, years of areobatic scale planes, always wanted to have a mustang in the fleet.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:38 AM
ThunderBoat42

looked at the DLE20.  Its the same weight with ignition, muffler and battery as the YS.   Yes, lots of power but I have one on the shelf (actually 2).  The ESM P-51 has my attention also.  Its a little larger than I am looking for through but possibly better suited to the power.   The TF with the DLE 20 flys good?  Decisions decisions.  LOL
Old 03-10-2013, 09:53 AM
R/C Foolish
My Feedback: (6)

The TF P-51 flies great with the DL 20.....plenty of power...

R/C Foolish
Old 03-10-2013, 09:55 AM
ThunderBoat42

Looks like Tower will not have a TF available till mid April. 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:06 PM
ThunderBoat42

Ordered the TF from a Hobby Shop up North that had one on inventory.  Should be here in a few days.  Have a YS120 on the shelf so it's going the be the 'go' for this baby.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 AM
merric

I have both the hanger 9 blue nose with a satio 125 in it and the top flight with a asp 120 four stroke. I find that the hanger 9 flies feels really heavy and a 125 is the smallest i would go with that bird, on the other hand a 120 in the top flight is more then enough power so the ys 120 in that bird would be wicked. here is a pick of mt top flite p 51 with a conversion kit to a b model.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70299.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1864169  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:49 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a "massaged" YS120 on mine. It is redicuously over powered! I can take off and go straight up almost forever. I can do 5-600 foot loops effortlessly and it has be radar'd at 110 mph straight and level. I am running a 15x10 APC on 30% nitro and it is turning around 9,000 on the ground with a straight pipe exhaust. It rolls like a pattern plane and looks like a Mustang when throttled back to more civilized speeds. It is very strong airframe as well. The landing gear mounts are the typically weak ARF stuff, but the you will be hard pressed to break the airframe in flight. I would recommend doing some research on the incidences before you assemble. They all seem to need quite a bit of down trim to fly level and the amount of trim increases with speed, suggesting an incidence problem and not thrust. It probably needs less positive incidence in the wing, and maybe a touch more positive in the tail. You could probably fix it with more postive in the tail only, but that makes taxiing on grass difficult. The prop blasts created lift on the tail, and when you have more positive incidence, you have more tail lift even with full up elevator held. Also, shim the back of the retracts so that you can move the axles towards the leading edge of the wing. Some suggest moving the CG back some to help, but I find that causes more climbing at speed.

I have mine for sale since I am just tired of flying it and need the room. Never been crashed!