Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

Second Annual Chuck Hartmann Memorial Contest (and FAI Challenge) Riverside 4/13-4/14

Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Second Annual Chuck Hartmann Memorial Contest (and FAI Challenge) Riverside 4/13-4/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:55 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Second Annual Chuck Hartmann Memorial Contest (and FAI Challenge) Riverside 4/13-4/14

Hello Everyone,

The second annual Chuck Hartmann Memorial Pattern Contest will be held at the Riverside field on 4/13-4/14.

This year, I would like to do something a bit different in FAI. So, if you guys are up for it I would like to fly 4 rounds F13 and 2 rounds of "unknown". The unknowns won't, technically, be unknown however. In approximately 2 weeks, I will post several unknowns that were used in past events and which have been published. Then, on Saturday afternoon after flying is completed we will draw two of them at random and those will be used for Sunday. I need to make sure that the scoring system will accomodate this. And I need to hear from anyone that would rather fly the traditional 4P/2F or 6F rounds instead. This isn't concrete yet so feedback is desired. I think this could be a great tune up for Arvin and also for the NATS.

Let me know your thoughts.

Also, this year please bring your own food and drink. We are traditionally short handed at this event so it makes life much easier if you all plan on handling this yourselves.

I am attaching the flyer below. Pilots meeting at 9am.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zw69269.pdf (168.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-11-2013, 09:15 AM
M.Kimbro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Second Annual Chuck Hartmann Memorial Contest (and FAI Challenge) Riverside 4/13-4/14

Perfect!! Steve, this sounds really good.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
shannah

Default RE: Second Annual Chuck Hartmann Memorial Contest (and FAI Challenge) Riverside 4/13-4/14

I forgot to mention that the pre-registration is open on the NSRCA D7 website.

I'd like to get everyone to pre-register so that we can get the scoring set up and the judging matrix lined up as early as possible. It doesn't hurt to register even if you think you might not make it. If you are thinking you'll try to come, or even if you are on the fence then please pre-reg.

Here's the registration link http://www.patternflying.com/TempRegistrationPage.aspx
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
pvogel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Steve, when do you think we'll be done on Sunday? I need to fly to Austin for work (have to present at a conference) and I'm thinking about just flying to AUS from the LA area rather than driving all the way back just to get on a plane.

Any folks living in the LA/Riverside area that would be willing to run me to an airport, and if so, which one? I'm assuming I can give my equipment a ride to Dale's house in his Sprinter :-)

Thanks!
Peter+
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I think the guys who came up with that idea are the smartest guys in the world, so I'm all for it!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
shannah

Hi Peter,

Your best bet is to fly out of Ontario if possible. Several of us drive right by the airport on the way home. It is quick and easy to get through security there since it isn't like LAX. It is similar to OAK. In fact, Dale's sprinter might be passing by the airport on the way home. Ontario airport is right off the 60 (or 10) freeway. It is approximately 30 minutes from the Riverside field. Alternatively you could probably get to LAX or Santa Ana (SNA). I don't know who would be driving near LAX or SNA.

I figure we'll be out of there around 2-3pm. Since we have to start late due to the sun we will fly late on Saturday and get as many rounds, or partial rounds, in as possible. Depending on how many people are at the contest I may have to get creative with the flight line on Sunday morning so that we can get going early. I'm thinking that we may start round 5 (a couple classes) on Saturday afternoon and then finish it on Sunday morning with a single flight line perpendicular to the runway (sun to our backs). That is the line that everyone uses to practice in the morning so it shouldn't be a big deal. If its a large turnout then that is probably what we will do. We can fly until late on Saturday so we might as well take advantage of it. If we do that then we can probably get out much earlier.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
slampert
My Feedback: (7)

Peter, I agree with Steve, however if you need to depart LAX, at least a couple of us (including me) live within 15 minutes of the airport. I'm planning on flying at Riverside and will be happy to give you a ride.

My trip back from Hemet on Sunday was a reminder of how bad traffic can be. You will want to give yourself at least a 2.5 to 3 hr window (perhaps even more) from the time you depart Riverside until your scheduled departure from LAX.

Steve L
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
KLXMASTER14

Signed up, looking forward to a great contest. See y'all there!
-Robert
Old 03-20-2013, 06:28 PM
JSchoolcraft

Just signed up!  Looking forward to another fun contest!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
shannah

Hi Guys,
As I mentioned before, we will be trying something different in the FAI class at Riverside. Saturday we will fly 4 rounds of F13. Sunday we will fly two different “Unknown†sequences.

Also, as I mentioned before, I am now posting the unknowns. I am posting these early for several reasons.

The IMAC guys might think we are wimps, but I really want this contest format to be a learning experience for pilots and judges. Several of you guys will be going to the NATS and if you have never been exposed to unknowns, or had to sit in a chair and judge a complex pattern which you have never seen flown then it can be very intimidating. Likewise, we don’t get acclimated to flying unknowns in front of judges like they do in IMAC. So, my remedy is to post these patterns early so that pilots and judges can start getting into the groove and familiarize themselves with a strange sequence.

To keep an air of the “unknown†aspect I am going to do the following:

6 sequences are attached to this post. Japan 1, Japan 2, France 1, France 2, USA 1, and USA 2.
These have all been posted on various websites for some time. I don't have the Aresti software so I can't create any sequences for this event, therefore I am using what's already been posted. I can't use old P or F sequences since they aren't in the FAI unknown catalog. The selected sequences are true FAI unknowns so all the maneuvers are in the FAI catalog. Anyone who is serious has already been practicing maneuvers from the unknown catalog so the individual maneuvers won’t be a surprise.

After round 4 on Saturday we will draw the patterns at random. But there is a slight twist.

Sunday morning we will fly either Japan 1 or Japan 2 as the first unknown. These are more straightforward and a good way to get going.

The second unknown round will be to fly either France 1, France 2, USA 1, or USA 2.

This is the plan. Weather, lack of time, lack of judges, and or lack of participants can change what we do.
Attached Files
Ca80938.pdf (46.2 KB, 4 views)
Mi21864.pdf (51.1 KB, 6 views)
Pu51087.pdf (50.7 KB, 5 views)
Ys49315.pdf (45.9 KB, 4 views)
Us53299.pdf (46.6 KB, 25 views)
Up49106.pdf (100.0 KB, 4 views)
Fk17839.pdf (46.2 KB, 4 views)
Fy72680.pdf (104.5 KB, 5 views)
Ht97622.pdf (46.6 KB, 4 views)
Ev23383.pdf (55.8 KB, 22 views)
Fh80409.pdf (46.9 KB, 4 views)
Kj32154.pdf (57.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM
shannah

I should add that this format is only possible due to the work that Mike Greear and Gordon Anderson have done on the scoring program. They took the concept and turned it into a fully supported capability in the scoring program.

Thanks for your work guys!!!

Steve
Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
bandagbilly

Steve:
You may want to consider a zero judge also on the unknowns if we have enough people - as a judge it is hard enough to learn the sequence, let alone know exactly if a maneuver is supposed to be a 3 of 4 or a 3/4 roll etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:23 PM
shannah

Thanks Bill,

I'll think about that one. It may be a good idea as long as we have enough judges.

Also, I think scribes are in order. They may quietly call the maneuver to the judge and right down the score. One thing that is really distracting to a pilot is to have a scribe calling out the maneuver loud enough for the pilot to hear it. The pilot usually has things written out just like they want to hear from their caller and another voice saying something else is a real distraction.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
desertrider49

Another way is to have the pilots caller read the maneuver loud enough for the judges and scribes to hear, as we did previously.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

I will be glad to hand out zeros! Lol.

Not sure i can get off of work. Super busy at the moment. I will try.

C
Old 03-31-2013, 09:24 PM
shannah

Hey Chris,

Hope you can make it. It is shaping up to be a good contest.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:52 AM
kingconsulting

Will there be anybody flying the sportsman catagory at this event? I'm new and haven't seen or entered a contest yet. Going to check out this one to get an idea how things work.

Robert
Old 04-01-2013, 07:20 AM
shannah

Hi Robert,

Yes, there are some Sportsman pilots registered for the event. Come on out! Heck, you should consider just entering the event. There will be folks that can help you.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 AM
kingconsulting

Thanks Shannah. Yes I will be there and bring my son with me. Ihaven't practiced enough and only have half of the sequences memorized. Just don't think I'm ready yet. Ithink being there and watching how it all works would help.

Ihave a 47" Osiris I fly with but I'm getting ready to start on a scratch build 2m plane.

Robert

ORIGINAL: shannah

Hi Robert,

Yes, there are some Sportsman pilots registered for the event. Come on out! Heck, you should consider just entering the event. There will be folks that can help you.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:58 PM
shannah

Hey guys

If you haven't pre-registered yet then please do so. All you CD's out there know how much easier it makes things when folks enter their info online.

If you think you may attend then go ahead and pregregister on the D7 page at www.nsrca.us. It is easier to delete a guy than to type in their data manually at the contest.

Thanks!
Steve
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM
shannah

I should mention that we have a lot of pre-registrations so far. We are out pacing last year in pre-registrations, so it is looking like a good turnout for sure.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Silent-AV8R

It does not cost a penny to pre-register and a no show is far easier for a CD to work with than having 20 unexpected entries. So take 45 seconds a register!! It will makes Steve's life easier and trust me, the last thing you want is a grumpy CD. [&:]
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 AM
JSchoolcraft

Is there a way of checking to make sure your registration went through?  I pre-registered, but want to make sure it was received.  I definitely don't want to cause problems for the CD!!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Surefire
My Feedback: (1)

Steve - Thanks for the reminder! I have now pre-registered. It's gonna be fun!

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
shannah

Thanks Jon,

Jamie, yes you are registered.

I'll compile a list of those who have signed up so far. I'm getting more registrations today so the list is looking good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.