Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

New addition to the family!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
gforce2448
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New addition to the family!

Well over the weekend we added a new addition to the RC family. It's actually my wife's new truck. She said she gets bored when my son and I take ours out and she walks along with us. So, I said why not get your own. She agreed, as long as she gets to pick it out and upgrade it the way she wants. After some research online showing her at various models and watching a few videos. She really liked the new Axial SCX-10 Rubicon RTR. One of our lhs had one in stock and after seeing it in person it was hers!

Already with only one trail run at a local park she is talking 2.2 tires for more ground clearance. Oh..oh...what have I done?!?! lol Plus side, she said she can see us having more than one truck each. Down side, I know I am going to be the mechanic on all of these trucks. []
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41423.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1858423   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68323.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	1858424  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:10 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: New addition to the family!

Very nice! Time to customize it.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent. My Wife has custody of the mini revo. I can't quite bring myself to say its 'hers', but it is when she wants it. It's got a pink Baja bug body on it too.

By the way, sorry about this, I can't help myself; you meant 'addition' to the family.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:12 AM
gforce2448

Thanks! I overlooked that. Usually posting from my phone alot. Good catch!

I've let her drive some of my RCs in the past but they were always to fast or she didn't like them. For some reason she enjoys trail driving and crawling. Which is cool by me!! lol
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: gforce2448

Well over the weekend we added a new addition to the RC family. It's actually my wife's new truck. She said she gets bored when my son and I take ours out and she walks along with us. So, I said why not get your own. She agreed, as long as she gets to pick it out and upgrade it the way she wants. After some research online showing her at various models and watching a few videos. She really liked the new Axial SCX-10 Rubicon RTR. One of our lhs had one in stock and after seeing it in person it was hers!

Already with only one trail run at a local park she is talking 2.2 tires for more ground clearance. Oh..oh...what have I done?!?! lol Plus side, she said she can see us having more than one truck each. Down side, I know I am going to be the mechanic on all of these trucks. []
I'd find that as a plus personally
Old 03-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Foxy

Yeh, I'm a wrencher more than a driver myself too these days, but I'm not sure if its by choice or necessity. [&:]
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Johnnysplits

Man you are lucky!! My wife doesn't mind my r/c addiction, but wants no part of it. I can't even get her to be my camera operator!! Tried once and she was bored after 30 seconds.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:10 PM
gforce2448

I've been in the hobby for many years and have gone through quite a few different models. But not until last year when I got my Wraith and got more into trail driving and crawler that she has shown interest. Now the whole family can enjoy them whether we take a trip to the coast, go camping over just an afternoon at the park.

She is already working on some personal touches to "Lola". Yes, her truck already has a nickname.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:57 AM
gforce2448

Took the trucks out to a nearby park/campground on Saturday. Great weather! Had a blast, spent about 4 hours at the park running them through the campground and along the creek trails. The wife sure enjoyed her new truck. I was able to test my new Integy shocks on my Wraith that I installed last week. They performed well and added the articulation that I was looking for. I noticed afterwards they leaked some. So I later rebuilt them and mounted them upside down which I've read alot of people are doing. So hopefully that does the trick. Here are some pics.

Name:	Nl29383.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1860797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95807.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	1860798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67889.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	1860799   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr45265.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1860800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62652.jpg
Size:	653.8 KB
ID:	1860801  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
gforce2448

"Lola" has a driver now along with some other girly touches. lol My wife made a set of dice and pink sleeping bag along with some other scale parts for her new Rubicon. Took the family of Axials out to the Oregon Coast over the weekend.

Name:	Db86037.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1863723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76913.jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1863724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io28934.jpg
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	1863725  
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 AM
The Mad Modder

I like all the details she added. Makes me want to get some of my scale truck projects finished up.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
gforce2448

We have been having a blast running all of the trucks lately. Going out about twice a week. This past weekend we went to another favorite park with great hiking trails. My wife is getting pretty good at driving her Rubicon. We made some changes to her truck, like moving the battery to the front as Axial described on their website. That made a huge difference. I also turned the tires around as the stock Maxxis tires sort of suck. When they get muddy the tread fills up and they become racing slicks and have no traction. But even turning them around didn't work. She wants new tires and wheels for sure. The Maxxis tires don't seem as good as the 1.9 Ripsaws that come on the Dingo.

Anyways, I have to share this story with everyone from this past weekend. My wife was driving her Rubicon down off of this bank when it rolled. It flipped a couple of times on to the path below right in front of me. I thought it was going to stop but it kept rolling, over into the creek a couple feet away. I reacted!! I dived for the thing practically throwing my shoulder out. I barely got a couple of fingers around an axle and scooped it out before it could be submerged. The only thing that got wet luckily was the body, no fried electronics. My shoulder did hurt for a while afterwards but it was alright later. I told my wife at the time she might be rubbing Icy Hot on my shoulder when we got home in return for saving her truck. LOL! $400 Axial Rubicon > Shoulder ???
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM
gforce2448

I thought I'd give an update on our Axial trucks. We've done a few upgrades along with some fun outtings this summer including a trip to Idaho and Montana. My wife's Rubicon has recently got PL 2.2 Titus beadlocks and Ripsaw tires. She is very happy as it climbs much better. Along with a bunch of PL accessories, including a bbq, propane tank. My Wraith went through a makeover. Gone is the camo tree skin, now it's all black. I installed the Level 3 lowering kit, turning it into more of a racer but it still crawls great! Created a sliding hatch to hide the battery in the rear. Also added the EXO-Terra buggy light bar and a second light kit. My son's Wraith hasn't changed much but I did waterproof the ESC and make it water resistant as possible so he can run anywhere. Here are some recent pics.

Name:	Pn35706.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	1901193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39331.jpg
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	1901194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18604.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	142.9 KB