Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing 1/5 50cc Spitfire Mk IX Group Build Tips/Mods

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

HobbyKing 1/5 50cc Spitfire Mk IX Group Build Tips/Mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
kahloq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HobbyKing 1/5 50cc Spitfire Mk IX Group Build Tips/Mods

Hk-Scott posted today on the rcgroups thread
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I saw that, he is waiting for good weather, here in Texas we just have to wait for less wind.

I went ahead and modified the retract mounts, figured one guy is flying it so I'll take the advice. I'll be able to change the angle slowly back if it proves to not
be a problem for me, but this is a good starting point. The only real hassle on this arf has been the landing gear, so hopefully from now on out it will be smooth sailing.

Not exactly beautiful, but I moved them as far forward as possible. Used a piece of 3/8" ply, angled it
so that it was 3/8" on one side and 1/4" on the other.

Extended the axles are 4" back from the leading edge. In the stock location and the plane balanced at 6" back, it would go over on it's nose if you lifted the tail even slightly
past horizontal. In the 4" back modified position it was much better, your prop would have to be gone before it wanted to continue onto it's nose.

Gear doors will still be workable, so should look half way decent.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
kahloq

Nice.....that was the esact same way I was planning on shimming my gear
Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Props4ever

Hey Guys,

I have been tempting to get large scale Spitty myself but I really like Mk VIII variant, now what the chances is to buy this from HK
and then convert it to Mk VIII specs, apart from retractable tail wheel and taller pointed rudder, what are other notable differences.....

Sam
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 AM
vik
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Hey Guys,

I have been tempting to get large scale Spitty myself but I really like Mk VIII variant, now what the chances is to buy this from HK
and then convert it to Mk VIII specs, apart from retractable tail wheel and taller pointed rudder, what are other notable differences.....

Sam
a camouflage?
Please Spitfire experts correct me, but majority of the differences are actually in the fusalage which had fifferent internal construction for presurized cabin, rectrable tailwheel and the rudder.
But I could be wrong.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

The major changes would be easy to do, this has a wood wing so shortening the ailerons would be easy. It has a wood rudder so pulling the covering off and making the changes would be easy. Not sure about the retractable tail wheel, but if you've made changes to other planes like this I don't think tail wheel changes are a big issue. I think the main changes to the fuselage on that variant are internal along with extra fuel in the wings, that variant does have some nice paint schemes.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
jbrowne

My buddy SpitfireDave and I did a simple mod to His landing gear to get the correct toe in.
With the gear in the wing and wings mounted to fuse, the stock allen screws were loosened and the struts were postioned to align the wheels properly.
Allen screws were then tightend to hold the strut in place.
We removed the gear from the wings, removed the two side mounts and using a drill press, made a 1/8 inch hole through the side of the gear block and strut until we felt the drill bit pop into the hole in the middle of the strut.
We then used an M4x.7 tap to create threads thru the block and the strut.
A 6mm long M4x.7 allen screw was threaded thru the block and into the strut until it bottomed.
When it bottomed out the allen screw was about 1mm below the block surface and so will not interfere with the side mounts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13135.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1861172  
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Props4ever

Can any of you guys can post a link of the Spitty on HK site, its not in there warbird section...Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
kahloq

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Can any of you guys can post a link of the Spitty on HK site, its not in there warbird section...Thanks
Yes it is. You have to click on the USA/Canada warehouse tab. The Spit is on the first page about near the bottom under warbirds.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

here is the link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
kahloq

While waiting for some glue joints to dry in the ESM DO-335, I decided to fit the turnigy 50cc motor on the nose and see where I need to cut the cowl for the exhaust(pitts style wrap around). Funny thing is, my motor does NOT fit in the cowl completely like the DLE55. This thing is 4oz heavier then a DLE55ra and the cylinder head is fatter. So....had to make a cutout for the front of the cylinder head too.
Not a bid deal really as its not like Im trying to make a scale masters plane

I also do NOT need to use additional standoff spacers as long as I mount the motor without the extreme right thrust on the firewall. Basically, Id need to only shim the right side standoffs to square it up with the front of the cowl. If I dont do it this way, I will also have to make a small cutout for the front corner of the pitts exhaust elbow. Im trying to grind down the aluminum a bit on that to give me a bit of room though. I know theres a pitts style wrap around muffler for the DL50, DLE55 etc that has a beveled front edge corner to help with narrow cowls, but I dont know if it would fit this motor and Im not really worried about spending $90 to replace a pitts muffler I already have that does fit. If all else fails, then I'll just have to make a small 1 inch wide cutout for that front corner of the exhaust.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 AM
SPITFIREDAVE

I've converted the HK Spitfire air retracts to electric using the Robart 630 electric actuators.  This works really well and only required re-threading the cylinder that the worm gear connects to.  Everything else just fits in place!

Where are you guys mounting the servos/switches etc in the fuse?  It seems as though this plane is coming in way heavier than it should and with that tray inside the fuse being back so far, I'm thinking of using a longer wooden dowel and longer wires for the rudder/elevator, moving them closer to the CG!  Can the dowel be that long and still work properly, as in, not bend?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DUCbZUivbI
Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 AM
kahloq

The spitfire in general is a design that requires a good amount of weight up front for balance. The real plane had about 133 pounds up front of dead weight. The ESM same size spitfire on average requires around 5 pounds, so this HK spitfire isn't any different. To be scale in appearance, then this is what is required.
Doing anything to get weight further forward will help reduce ballast, but a few servos moved from the servo tray forward some isn't going to offset that requirement for ballast weight.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Servo481

I did a movie with my I pod today. I also tilted the gear forward a little more. The Spirtfire was much easyer to take off. I landed to hot and rolled off the end of the runway onto the dirt and it did not tip onto the nose. I hope this link will let you view my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbotFrChC5c
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 AM
SPITFIREDAVE

Thanks for taking that video servo481!  It looks great and its nice to finally see it flying.

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind...

Can you take some pictures of it showing the added nose weight and placement etc under the cowl?

Also, are you flying it with the recommended control throws?

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:44 AM
SWORDSN
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Servo481

I did a movie with my I pod today. I also tilted the gear forward a little more. The Spirtfire was much easyer to take off. I landed to hot and rolled off the end of the runway onto the dirt and it did not tip onto the nose. I hope this link will let you view my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbotFrChC5c
She seems really fast.What engine/prop are you using?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Servo481

I built this Spitfire to race in the USRA (UNLIMITED SCALE RACING ASSOCIATION)Warbird class. The engine is a DA 60 and the propeller is a APC F-1 GT (20/18). It turns about 6000 on the ground and a little over 9000 in the air when its at speed. This should be around 150 MPH.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM
SWORDSN

That is FAST!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 AM
kahloq

I built this Spitfire to race in the USRA (UNLIMITED SCALE RACING ASSOCIATION)Warbird class. The engine is a DA 60 and the propeller is a APC F-1 GT (20/18). It turns about 6000 on the ground and a little over 9000 in the air when its at speed. This should be around 150 MPH.
Where exactly did you have the CG at? Measured from leading edge along the wing to fuse joint or from the front of the fairing that's part of the fuse?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Servo481

I set mine at 6 inches back measured at the wing joint. Mine flies inverted with very little down.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
kahloq

Thank you
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 AM
Shaun Evans

Nice field!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:40 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Luke are you still working on your cockpit? I always love seeing the work of a "master creator"it keeps me inspired to keep giving my best.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
SWORDSN

I set mine at 6 inches back measured at the wing joint. Mine flies inverted with very little down.
How much weight did you add for balance?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Servo481

I mounted 2 life 2100 batteries in the cowel above the engine and 2.5 pounds of lead just behind the spinner in the cowel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.