Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ed's Ziroli B-25 Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ed's Ziroli B-25 Build

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM
bigE
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ed's Ziroli B-25 Build

Pic looking down from the top into the battery box. Plans call for the top of this box to be 1/8" light ply. But I'm not sure why I wouldn't use balsa? It doesn't seem to be a load bearing structure. I know Mr Ziroli is smarter than me when it comes to designing planes, but I'm scratching my head on this one. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57530.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1859822  
Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
bigE

Air tank installed using 1/2" light balsa as donuts to hold it snug. Rear donut ties into bottom stringers and has an end cap to keep the tank from sliding aft. I'll use a bit of goop for final assembly.

Name:	Oj28607.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1860003   Click image for larger version

Name:	My25227.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1860004  
Old 03-10-2013, 05:14 AM
doolittles
My Feedback: (5)

Hi isn't the battery box tied in to the nose wheel mount ! At least mine is.
I have enlarge my B25 it has two D/A 50 on it Great Flyer !
Your doing a great job , nice work i wish you built your first so i could learned something .
Thanks Doolittles
Old 03-10-2013, 11:56 AM
bigE

ORIGINAL: doolittles

Hi isn't the battery box tied in to the nose wheel mount ! At least mine is.
I have enlarge my B25 it has two D/A 50 on it Great Flyer !
Your doing a great job , nice work i wish you built your first so i could learned something .
Thanks Doolittles
Plan has the rails stopping at F-4, but I guess you could have them go all the way back to f-5, but doesn't the nose wheel hit them when it retracts?

Name:	Pk31623.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	1860380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xi62685.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1860381  
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 PM
bigE

Flipped the fuselage upside down to work on the bottom stringers and get some sheeting installed. My posts for getting the crutch elevated is working like a champ. I t allows me to install all but one row of stringers and keep the fuse straight.
As I am finding out, there is no such thing as having to many clamps! Also a better picture of how the rear air tank mount ties into the stringers.

Name:	Bw70829.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	1860389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq89620.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1860390  
Old 03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great Ed. Really like your crutch mounting idea. I used 1X pine lumber and it was very limiting as to how many stringers you could add.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Well Ed you got the juices flowing, time to start buying the stuff for my build.. If my wife PM's you thanking you for this build thread and ends it with a little angry dude icon. Please tell her that my plan is to have a ring that she wants in the bomb bay and was gonna drop it at her feet once my bird is done....lol

Love the job you are doing on yours, great stuff and very well written as well as great pics.. I will be using this thread to aid in my build for sure...

Question.
Did you price out cutting the kit yourself verse buying it already cut, if so, is there much savings cutting yourself? Time is always an issue with me as well, but I figure if I start cutting in the spring a little at a time, by the fall I would be ready to go and that's when I am planning on starting mine...

Also and I'm sure you said it in another post, what are you powering yours with??

Thanks again and keep up the good work..

Jimbo
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM
bigE

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Well Ed you got the juices flowing, time to start buying the stuff for my build.. If my wife PM's you thanking you for this build thread and ends it with a little angry dude icon. Please tell her that my plan is to have a ring that she wants in the bomb bay and was gonna drop it at her feet once my bird is done....lol[img][/img]

Love the job you are doing on yours, great stuff and very well written as well as great pics.. I will be using this thread to aid in my build for sure...

Question.
Did you price out cutting the kit yourself verse buying it already cut, if so, is there much savings cutting yourself? Time is always an issue with me as well, but I figure if I start cutting in the spring a little at a time, by the fall I would be ready to go and that's when I am planning on starting mine...

Also and I'm sure you said it in another post, what are you powering yours with??

Thanks again and keep up the good work..

Jimbo
Thanks for the kind words- and I'm glad I got you motivated to get started! Good luck with the wife! Mines gonna have a cow when I get the retracts. Lol
I did not price out the wood separately. For me, the laser cutting is so nice and a huge time saver- worth any added expense.
As far as power- I decided on the OS GT 33. They run beautifully, very quiet with the included pits muffler, weighs less than the g26, will swing a 17-10 3 blade which is only an inch from being scale, and I can fly around comfortably at a much lower throttle setting and not worry about how noisy it is. We shall see if it all works out in the end. I'll post some pics of the engine tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM
bigE

Bottom stringers are done. Next project is to sheet the bottom half in preparation for installing the wing center section. Here we go with strip planking again....

Name:	Ea84500.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1860565  
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM
bigE

ORIGINAL: OldScaleGuy

Looks great Ed. Really like your crutch mounting idea. I used 1X pine lumber and it was very limiting as to how many stringers you could add.
Thanks Steve. I was also going to cut some 1" pine for the supports, but decided to improvise since I didn't have any laying around. So glad I did because it really works well.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Mustangman40

I here ya on the kit cutting, hard to match the quality of laser cutting doing it old school with a scroll saw and sander, I think you made up my mind for me with going with the kit... Are you happy with the work that NB did on yours, would you use them again?

I'm going with the 118", I have a pair of seasonedDLE 55's that I would like to use. Anyone know if they will fit, or arethey to big? With not having to buy motors for this project, it will go along way with the budget on this build..

Ed,
I here ya on the wife and retracts, true story that just happened last weekend.. I will send you a PM to keep your thread on track..

Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 AM
bigE

I here ya on the kit cutting, hard to match the quality of laser cutting doing it old school with a scroll saw and sander, I think you made up my mind for me with going with the kit... Are you happy with the work that NB did on yours, would you use them again?

I'm going with the 118'', I have a pair of seasoned DLE 55's that I would like to use. Anyone know if they will fit, or are they to big? With not having to buy motors for this project, it will go along way with the budget on this build..

Ed,
I here ya on the wife and retracts, true story that just happened last weekend.. I will send you a PM to keep your thread on track..

This was the first time i have had a kit cut, so i dont really have a frame of reference. So ill give you some pros and cons for NB-
PROS-
- kit delivered fast- within just a couple days of ordering.
- well packaged, no damage.
- free shipping
CONS-
-Some of the balsa is really heavy to the point of being unusable. for example- Leading edge stock is so hard that its almost impossible to shape properly. The blocks they give you for the back of the nacelles weighs a ton. I'm finding myself going to the local hobby shop to replace stuff.
- about a half dozen missing parts. If the plans call for aircraft ply, it's not included.

To be honest, I might try a different company for my next project. I do understand that these are some of the pitfals of scratch building, and I'm not necessarily unhappy with NB, but I would also like to try one of the other vendors.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
bigE

And the planking begins. I'm going to try to use wider sheets on the sides since there is a large area that's relatively flat.

Name:	Uq49476.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1860894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx22079.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1860895  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: bigE

I'm going with the 118'', I have a pair of seasonedDLE 55's that I would like to use. Anyone know if they will fit, or arethey to big? With not having to buy motors for this project, it will go along way with the budget on this build..

Ed,

This was the first time i have had a kit cut, so i dont really have a frame of reference. So ill give you some pros and cons for NB-
PROS-
- kit delivered fast- within just a couple days of ordering.
- well packaged, no damage.
- free shipping
CONS-
-Some of the balsa is really heavy to the point of being unusable. for example- Leading edge stock is so hard that its almost impossible to shape properly. The blocks they give you for the back of the nacelles weighs a ton. I'm finding myself going to the local hobby shop to replace stuff.
- about a half dozen missing parts. If the plans call for aircraft ply, it's not included.

To be honest, I might try a different company for my next project. I do understand that these are some of the pitfals of scratch building, and I'm not necessarily unhappy with NB, but I would also like to try one of the other vendors.
Ed,
thanks for the honest feedback.............
Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM
MarvinLoomis
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well put Ed!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 AM
fabfal

Following your thread I have ordered the kit to NB too. For me that's the third time. The first, with Arizona has been shocking. A lot of imprecisions both in the cut and in the thickness of the wood, so that I have been obliged to remake lot of ribs and other pieces. The second with LDD ( Bob Leserve) : I could define it perfect!!!. Now for the third I had few alternatives. Kitcutters wasn't suggested ( this is the one sold by Ziroli) and Ziroli doesn't sell the complete kit . I need a complete kit because I live in Europe and many stringers are with USA measures and I cannot find them in hobby shops here. Further Kitcutters doesn't accept orders anymore. European laser cutters do excellent short kits but absolutely more expensive and without stringers .
So I ordered to NB. Hope to find less problems than you. I'm still waiting ( they announced me to need 2 weeks for preparing). I'll be back when arrived and checked!! Tell me "goog luck"!!
Fabrizio
Old 03-12-2013, 06:02 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be careful about putting the retract tank in an unaccesible location. I have had several develop leaks after years of use. I have also 2 that were defective right out of the package. One of them was bad around the crimp and the other leaked around the nipple. I reflowed the solder for the nipple leak.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM
bigE

The tank slides out through the Bombay . (Doors will be cutout after fiberglassing) but yes, on any other plane I agree it should be accessible!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
bigE

Fabrizio- definitely check back in on how your kit comes out! I'm sure it will be fine. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a question about the planking. Do you think its wise for each group of planks to end on the same bulk head? Might it not be better to stagger the planks such that some planks span and end on different bulkheads?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
bigE

ORIGINAL: BobH

I have a question about the planking. Do you think its wise for each group of planks to end on the same bulk head? Might it not be better to stagger the planks such that some planks span and end on different bulkheads?
It's hard to see in that pic, but only the first two planks end on the same bulkhead- and that bulkhead is part of the Bombay doors which will be cut out and replaced with fiberglass. I'm intentionally starting each new row in a different spot. I do agree that would be a bad idea.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
bigE

Ahhhhh- I think i see what you are seeing now. The lines you are seeing are my pen lines where I am marking the gear doors. They are not plank Joints! Here is a a pic of a plank joint- the diagonal line. they are hard to see and staggered- a pen line in the same picture.

Name:	Wr54727.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	1861175  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
bigE

I was making good progress on sheeting the bottom half of the fuse, then tonight it's as if I couldn't get anything right. I really goofed these two side planks up. Instead of ripping them off and risking damage to something else, I put some filler on to try and fill in all the uneven spots. So I'm calling it a night and trying again tomorrow.

Name:	Hc93119.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1861421  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep that was it, ink lines! Now I can rest better knowing you have things going right.. lol
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Mustangman40

I think we all be there Ed, that's what i do, walk away and try again another day... It's funny how you get days where everything you touch is golden, then a day where you cant do anything that is any where close to gold....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.