Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

M41 Walker Bulldog Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M41 Walker Bulldog Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 AM
Devildog0341Va

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M41 Walker Bulldog Build Thread

Guys,

I am working on my M41 Bulldog and while waiting on some parts from immotal I would like to remove the battery box just to make a little more room in the compartment. I am a little worried however about structural integrity. I can cut the plastic box out and somehow glue or attach the cover but should I cut out a piece of thinsheet metal or styrene to glue into the bottom. for those who have done this can you give me some insight on what to do? Kind of at a loss here, any help appreciated.

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Darryl Usher

Default RE: M41 Walker Bulldog Build Thread

Well I plugged all the holes in the bottom of a panther. First fit the battery cover, the better the fit the happier you will be with the finished job. Glue a corner down and hold it till dry. After the corners are glued do the sides and ends, keep away from the first glue job because you may soften it. Cut the inside out with at least a 1/4" bit in a hand router.
Darryl
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
AFV432

When i did mine i just cut it out added some evergreen in the hole i also added some aluminium "L" angle to the sides just incase of twisting etc

i drilled through the shock mounts and bolted the shocks to the chassis using m2.5 cross head bolts

Old 03-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Devildog0341Va

Daryl,

I have a dremel with cutting disks I can do that with, I think if I go that route with gluing and then adding the stren that is in AFV's pics it should work out great.

AFV,

what are you using for the spacers to keep from tightening the shocks down against the hull. I also found the angle at home depot. Great pics and nice work.

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Ronan87

Washer. Make sure NOT to get a 'lock washer', they have little teeth that binds to things.

ORIGINAL: Devildog0341Va

Daryl,

I have a dremel with cutting disks I can do that with, I think if I go that route with gluing and then adding the stren that isin AFV's pics it should work out great.

AFV,

what are you using for the spacers to keep from tightening the shocks down against the hull. I also found the angle at home depot. Great pics and nice work.

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM
AFV432

ORIGINAL: Devildog0341Va

AFV,

Thanks, Jim
thats just some K&S brass tube i forget the size but if memory serves its 3mm Ø
thank you for the kind words on my build glad to help on yours

Rob

Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 PM
FreakyDude

what I do when I remove the battery box is I build a series of boxes that all my parts sit in. controller box, battery box, reciever box etc. I put them in the tank and i glue or screw them in place. I always make sure the boxes interconnect though so that the walls create  some kind of lateral stiffening. The walls don't have to be in a perfect line either as the boxes I build have bottoms so you get the extra rigidity. 
easier ways of doing it yes but it looks good when finished.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Devildog0341Va

Do you have any pics of the inside?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Devildog0341Va

Guys,

I changed the subject to build thread, I hope we can make it easier for someone else when they start theres. Just doesnt seem to be much for the M41's and I for one am not a modeler so I need all the help I can get.

Tonight if I can figure out how to post pics I can get some of what I have done in the tear down of my tank.

Thanks, Jim
Old 03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
afv aficionado

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

HI Jim
I've done a couple of posts on M41's - http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?board=27.0 - though mine are mostly for early production M41's, which are a bit different + some pics - http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?board=27.0 - and a bit on cam nets - http://hobbyhavoc.com/forum/index.php?topic=1974.0 -
As you can tell, mine are still works in progress, albeit very slowly.

Then there's Wibblys build, with interesting work on lowering the silhouette etc - http://www.rctankregiment.com/rctank...hp?f=96&t=4685 -

Hope you like.

Mal
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may be too late, but I usually leave the battery box intact on HL conversions and install the DMD and MF on opposite sides between the battery box and hull sides. Makes changing out batteries a sinch since you only have to take out one screw on the battery door and not deal with taking off the upper hull.