Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

High number of fades on a AR12120 Power safe

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

High number of fades on a AR12120 Power safe

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High number of fades on a AR12120 Power safe

I Hold and use My Many F.A.A. Certificates, And it is just not in my back ground to use a component in any Aircraft that dose not check out on the ground in the per flight inspection and check.

But I am not to happy having purchased a AR12120 and not able to use it Now.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Use it with 3 remotes instead of 4 and leave port L empty then it should check out just fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

I Hold and use My Many F.A.A. Certificates, And it is just not in my back ground to use a component in any Aircraft that dose not check out on the ground in the per flight inspection and check.

If you don't want to use it then you can send it to me!!!!!!! I will have no problems using it in one of my High dollar jets.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Dammit Greg!!! You beat me to it. Don't do it amigo......send it to me!

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

If you don't want to use it then you can send it to me and i will have no problems using it in one of my multi thousand dollar jets.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Greg Wright

Slow poke you need to be faster.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Greg Wright

I'll need one for my new BVM F-4!!
Old 03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
yeahbaby

Haaa I need one for my F8
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys.
I started the thread dosn't that mean I get first crack at it .
Cheers
Mav
Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Greg Wright

ORIGINAL: mavrick

Hey Guys.
Cheers
Mav
You SNOOZE you loose. Lol
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM
yeahbaby

+1

ORIGINAL: Greg Wright

ORIGINAL: mavrick

Hey Guys.
Cheers
Mav
You SNOOZE you loose. Lol
Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 AM
rolsen12

Did you Failsafe Bind the receiver?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
mavrick

Yep after I have done my set up I always do a bind, and when I go to the field and do my range check with the Turbine running I do a Preset failsafe bind. You can keep binding till the cows come home it won't change the outcome of the high number of fades on the left port.
Cheers
Mav
Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
mavrick

Hey Buck.
You and Greg wouldn't be working this out between you would you L O L feels like a bit of pressure.
Cheers
Mav [>:]
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM
flyn2high

I had the same issue on my Spektrum AR12120 power safe receiver. It was the L antenna and I was getting up to 999 readings on the log while the other three antennas had 000 to less then 50. I checked with tech support at Horizon Hobbies and they had me switch out the remote receiver and cable. Same result. Then I switched the cable at the receiver from the A antenna that was getting 000 with the L antenna. The L still recorded 999 with the antenna and cable that was previously getting 000. The A antenna was now at 000. So the problem was in the receiver. The tech said he was going tot ask the engineer and get back to me. His reply was that there is a known bug in this receiver where is it working correctly but reporting wrong to the log on the L antenna. He said that if you swap the cables at the receiver and the if frame losses is low on the new connection then go fly all is okay.

In my case I have it installed in a Turbine comp arf MIG 15 that I have not flown yet. I have been working on for over a year and was not happy with that solution. I sent the receiver in yesterday. Hopefully they will fix or replace it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-06 13.58.05.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	1906412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-08-06 13.58.49.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1906413  
Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
wfield0455

To solve this problem you will need to have it replaced with a different model receiver because ALL AR12120 receivers have this bug causing the L antenna fades counter to increase by 512 instead of 1. Since the counters have a max value of 999, if more than a single fade occurs on the L receiver, it maxes out the L counter at 999.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:50 AM
flyn2high

Originally Posted by wfield0455
To solve this problem you will need to have it replaced with a different model receiver because ALL AR12120 receivers have this bug causing the L antenna fades counter to increase by 512 instead of 1. Since the counters have a max value of 999, if more than a single fade occurs on the L receiver, it maxes out the L counter at 999.
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will have to live with it if the new ones still have the issue on the L remote antenna. I imagine if you have the power safe 12 channel receiver then you will probably also have a log and you will see the condition. I am surprised they did not fix it yet. My receiver is almost a year old.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by flyn2high
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will have to live with it if the new ones still have the issue on the L remote antenna. I imagine if you have the power safe 12 channel receiver then you will probably also have a log and you will see the condition. I am surprised they did not fix it yet. My receiver is almost a year old.
I suppose it is possible that it's been fixed in the latest version of the AR12120 but this issue has been around for a while and still keeps popping up with some regularity. Perhaps the people seeing this are still running into old stock receivers but I've never heard anyone chime in that "mine doesn't do that" so I suspect it hasn't been fixed. Still it would be easy enough to call and ask them to verify that the bug has been fixed in the latest version of the receiver and if it hasn't, ask them to replace it with a JR 1222X. The JR1222X doesn't have the X-Plus port if that is important to you but I have several of them and all of the counters seem to work correctly. Fortunately this bug doesn't make the AR12120 any less reliable, it simply doesn't report the statistics for the L receiver correctly..
Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM
rcjetsaok

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guy's,

You do know that high number of fades is normal for DSM-X protocol... It does not lock as the DSM-2. The X protocol is " Frequency Agile" , Remember ??? Therefore by design it will show fades due to "Agile " activity. Since I have switched to DMS-X I no longer bother with data-loggers.. No need. I assume that's why Futaba never introduced such a device... Useless with frequencey hopping.

Danno
Old 08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I have the exact same problem with an AR9100. It checks out fine on the ground on all remote ports, but as soon as you fly it the "L" port goes to 999 on the fades. I've tried 6 or 8 different remote's, different extension length's, positions, etc, still the same problem. I have since just unplugged it from the system and don't worry about it. It's been like that for 3+ years now
Old 08-09-2013, 01:25 PM
flyn2high

That is good to know about the JR receiver however my minimum number of channels that I can use is 13. I increased it to 17 since I have the X-Plus module in there. In addition to the normal stuff I have Wheel Brakes, Speed Brakes, Canopy, and Tank Drop plus with the iGyro that I plan to use I need 3 additional channels. If the receiver that comes back still has the issue I will just have to live with it but I would hope it was fixed by now.

I respectably disagree with your post about not really needing the Log. The main reason that Futaba does not use remote antennas and a log is that it is under patent by Spektrum. It is true that you will get more fades with DSMX then DSM2 but on my 2M Viperjet with DSMX the max I get on any of the 4 remotes is under 20 with a DX18 transmitter. Several hundred is still considered ok. In high end competition I see that there are just as many Futaba as JR/Spectrum planes so they do work well and the pros use them. In my book though you don/'t really know for sure what the status of that single antenna is up to with out a log.

I was a futaba guy up to about 4 years ago when I converted my 14MZ to 2.4. They did not let us know there was an issue when the receiver got hot, if you recall, and mine shut down the receiver after a long flight. I lost the plane that was flying great on 72mhz. That is when you saw the ads with a JR receiver complexity melted and still working. That is when I converted. I understand that it is no longer an issue but I still like the idea that I can see just what is going on with my antenna location.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
Guy's,

You do know that high number of fades is normal for DSM-X protocol... It does not lock as the DSM-2. The X protocol is " Frequency Agile" , Remember ??? Therefore by design it will show fades due to "Agile " activity. Since I have switched to DMS-X I no longer bother with data-loggers.. No need. I assume that's why Futaba never introduced such a device... Useless with frequencey hopping.

Danno
Actually, we are talking about a specific bug in the AR12120 receiver where the L receiver fades counter increments by a count of 512 instead of by 1 for each fade resulting in it reaching it's maximum count of 999 the second time it detects a fade.

Also, there is nothing "normal" about a high number of fades on a DSMX system. Since the transmitter and receiver both hop using the same pseudo random sequence you don't get fades simply by frequency hopping. I rarely fly at large events and I almost never see large numbers of fades with my DSMX systems. While it is possible to get fades when 2 systems happen to hop to the same frequency at the same time, at a typical club field with a couple of aircraft up at the same time, this doesn't happen all that often. If you are flying a new airplane for the first time and are the only one in the air, unless there is WiFi or some other source of interference around the fades counters are still a good way to evaluate your receiver placement and that is something that I consider to be far from useless.