Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Here Come The Feds

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Here Come The Feds

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM
iron eagel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here Come The Feds

The man was a genus! His insights, and many of those of that generation, is something that should be admired.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Another guy who had a tremendous sense of humor and who flew under the radar as a one of the great humorists of his time was Einstein.
Look up some of his best quotes.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:05 PM
iron eagel

Looks like we like the same guys for the same reasons...[8D]
Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM
fred985

i bet a 90 oz servo would be enough to touch off my auto loader 12 gauge shot gun!!! a 1/3 cub would be enough to lift it. where can i get one of those cameras ? now., how do i rig up the screen so i could fly it just like i was flying a full scale ? the kick may be to much but a bet some thin ply would reinforce the fuse enough to take care of that. im so excited i dont think ill be able to sleep tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:45 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: fred985

i bet a 90 oz servo would be enough to touch off my auto loader 12 gauge shot gun!!! a 1/3 cub would be enough to lift it. where can i get one of those cameras ? now., how do i rig up the screen so i could fly it just like i was flying a full scale ? the kick may be to much but a bet some thin ply would reinforce the fuse enough to take care of that. im so excited i dont think ill be able to sleep tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gift shop in the Alitalia concourse at JFK. Selective about who they sell to, though......may say they don't carry them until you explain what you are going to do with it.................
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: fred985

Yeahhh....flying traditional RC just isn't enough fun any more. We need the "Natural Progression" into UAVs to get the same kick we used to get back when flying a .40 powered 4 channel plane was enough fun.
The definition of "Political Idiocy" would be to go to Capitol Hill with your Quadcopter right after a major Quadcopter related calamity and explain to 105 blank faces how/why we need to embrace this new mode of AMA sponsored fun into our culture.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:03 PM
iron eagel

I willing to bet some satellite just swung it aperture towards Stony Point, NY.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Will Rogers sure was a brilliant commentator with 100's of great quotes....
...who, somewhat ironically, died in an airplane crash.
I wonder what great quote he could make today about
the hysterical foaming at the mouth over the dangers of battery powered quad-copters versus,
oh, say, full-scale aircraft flight.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

After the JFK News (which I don't think any airline pilot at 200 kts could see a quad) we got in the news as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvB1jGqgPXQ
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 PM
warbird addict

People who are Mentally deficient enough not to question the LAME STREAM MEDIA and it's biased bought and paid for motives are bound and destined to fall for anything, do yourself a favor and go out in the backyard and just drink the "MAGIC" koolaid and end your misguided suffering !!!! The best way to tell if the media and politicians are Lying is to watch closely and see if their mouth is moving and if it is they are LYING!!!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM
jessiej

Model airplanes have been exceeding 400 feet for seventy or eighty years now. Does anyone know how many model/full scale collisions have occurred?

Jess
Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jessiej

Model airplanes have been exceeding 400 feet for seventy or eighty years now. Does anyone know how many model/full scale collisions have occurred?

Jess

Here is a place to start. Just a few items from 1000s of data bases. Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcN-0PikEU - Similarto Biplane and RC Airplane Midair Collision - YouTube
[PDF]
Mid-Air Collisions
http://www.rnf.is/media/erlendar-gre...collisions.pdf
1.3.2 Aircraft Models ... Three involved mid-air collisions between a transport plane and light aircraft ... Eleven collisions occurred between light aircraft, ...
Giant Scale Vs. Full Scale Midair collision - RC Groups
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294538 - Similarto Giant Scale Vs. Full Scale Midair collision - RC Groups
The
Midair Collision Between a C-130 and a UAV | Defense Tech
defensetech.org/2011/08/17/midair-collision-between-a-c-130-and-a-uav/
Aug 17, 2011 ... Midair Collision Between a C-130 and a UAV. by John .... The Aircraft would have been a total loss if it wasn't for the quick thinking and reaction of the Aircrew and .... All the H model herks in theater are equipped with TCAS.
Biplane and RC Airplane Midair Collision | Remote Control Planes
remotecontrolairplanes.wgrp2.com/biplane-and-rc-airplane-midair-collision/
The FAA has confirmed it is investigating a midair collision between a ... at an airport in Brighton, Colo. during what appeared to be a model aircraft event.
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?v_t...ae00b9ff960a99
Old 03-14-2013, 12:31 AM
beepee

I can't stand it anymore! I gotta get back to the original report. This pilot reporting seeing the object and it was estimated to be a close as 200 ft from his aircraft. During his observation he was able to note what it was (quad-coptor), it's size (about 1 meter), and its relative motion (hovering - stationary). I gotta call him on that. At his speed, I will guess something over 175 mph (Hoss, please correct me) that object would have been about 260 ft farther out 1 second prior to its closest position. At 460 ft, it would have been nearly invisible. He had approximately 1 second to determine everything about it. Baloney! Excuse me, bologna. If his eyes were that good he should have switched them from observation mode to death ray mode and just knocked that bad boy out of the sky!

I'm done.

Bedford
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 AM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

What BeePee said ^ .... definately calling bull on this one. Not to mention there is no way to prove it was a RC hobbiest flying a FPV aircraft/drone. All the,"Here come the consequences" guys are basing all you stuff on pure speculation. Best not to assume anything but the facts,right? I believe BeePee has hit the nail on the head, here.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 AM
rolsen12

Sounds like BS to me.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: beepee

I can't stand it anymore! I gotta get back to the original report. This pilot reporting seeing the object and it was estimated to be a close as 200 ft from his aircraft. During his observation he was able to note what it was (quad-coptor), it's size (about 1 meter), and its relative motion (hovering - stationary). I gotta call him on that. At his speed, I will guess something over 175 mph (Hoss, please correct me) that object would have been about 260 ft farther out 1 second prior to its closest position. At 460 ft, it would have been nearly invisible. He had approximately 1 second to determine everything about it. Baloney! Excuse me, bologna. If his eyes were that good he should have switched them from observation mode to death ray mode and just knocked that bad boy out of the sky!

I'm done.

Bedford
Yep... Defiantly sounds like a bunch of hooey but how to prove such exaggerations. 1200 feet turns into a few hundred feet when the observer has it in for you... I've seen endless examples of that....doesn't matter the predisposition or what side of the equation...people love to make their cases! Bias is human nature and you'll never find one person to admit to it...they'll just dig in deeper.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Tisoy909
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He saw a UFO!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I wanna know is what are they going to do about the birds? http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28678669/n...iracle-hudson/Maybe we should all go to washington with a quad coptor and tell them this is how you solve the deficit sell a million of these instead of banning them. WOW a million quad march, just think of it
Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

What I wanna know is what are they going to do about the birds?

Simple , we just equip a fleet of quads with metal props and program em to go bird huntin
Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

At 460 ft, it would have been nearly invisible. I'm done.
Damn, I must have excellent eyes. I flew well over 460 feet all the time and never had trouble seeing a small rc airplane until I got old.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Damn, I must have excellent eyes. I flew well over 460 feet all the time and never had trouble seeing a small rc airplane until I got old.
Could you see them at 1500ft?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:18 AM
Condor060
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

Yeah, But could you see it if you were moving at 200 kts and how long. A second maybe if you were looking at the right place at the right time. Certainly not a view you could give any detail on. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Beta101
My Feedback: (6)

I really do not know what the alarm, if the RC flying field at Floyd Bennett Field not far from JFK.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=floyd+bennett+field
Old 03-14-2013, 08:22 AM
iron eagel

That field is clearly outside of the 3 mile limit for 400 ft ceilings, but I doubt the object took off from there.
On takeoff and approach your constantly looking for birds, and we all know what type of issues they can cause when sucked into a turbine.
I really don't doubt that the pilot saw something that to him appeared to be a quad type drone, you would be surprised at just what you can see from a plane when you are flying.
Might he have a thing against drones sure, he didn't describe it as a R/C type of aircraft he used the word drone.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

Might he have a thing against drones sure, he didn't describe it as a R/C type of aircraft he used the word drone.
Are you suggesting that a "real" airpane pilot would throw R/C enthusiast's quadcopters/FPVs under the bus by using the word drone??? Or do you mean he may have seen an actual drone??? maybe a government agency illegally or "legally" spying on someone???

Will we ever know???I'll bet not... no matter the "official" report...if ever there is one. Its probably up to us to make a big deal about it...all the while defaming model aviation...good plan!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.