Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

**Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

**Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Mustangman40
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: **Seagull Nemesis** The need for speed build thread!!

It's official, I'm excited about this plane now!!!!! Man does a twin look good in it, like the motor was made for it.. I still might need to cut for the left cap as the motor needs to come forward 3/8" and if the right side is touching I will cut for it as well. What will be sticking out will be real small and look just fine flying by at 150+........The carb screw is also hitting as you can see in the pick, gonna have to think about that one..

I would be lying if I didn't say that I am already getting goose bumps about flying this sucker and the speed I am thinking is kind of scary!!!
I did some reading on the AT-6 Texanracing and with a stock G-62 and a APC T6 prop (20x15) they were getting 140mph..

Now they had tobe a least25 pounds dry and most I read were inthe 26-27 pound range, 100" span. Now I know that they had retracts and very clean lines, but My Nemesis is 80" and will be 10-12 pounds lighterThe displacement of the G-62 and my DLE 60 is the same, I'm sure the 62 is making more power then the 60, but not that much more...

Anyone care to take a guess at what kind of speeds I will be hitting in a drive?? I'm not even gonna try and guess, I will make sure my buddy films the maiden.....Something tells me I'm gonna chit my pants when i open her up.....lol

Any way, here are some pics..
I made a template and if anyone needs the dims for the 60, they are 67mm x 68mm....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10566.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1861930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25672.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1861931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49286.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	1861932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43488.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1861933   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79947.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1861934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40335.jpg
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1861935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75957.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1861936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm30635.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1861937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22857.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1861938  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

You are absolutely correct. The motor ALMOST fits perfectly. I was just thinking about your carb hitting the bottom of the cowl and I wonder if you could reduce the thickness of the phenolic spacer between the motor and the carb. I know absolutely nothing about DLE engines, but it may be worth asking the question. I've also seen somewhere a different type of spark plug and boot combination that is much lower in profile which may also help you out. The more I think about it, I think they were for the Zenoah GT80, but I don't remember if I read about them here in the warbird forum or over on RCSB.

I like your idea about adding the checkerboard squares to your plane, but i'm just not sure about them being lime green [X(]...................LOL

David
Old 03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
darrolair

mustangman40,
The carb screw you're worried about is to set the idle. It's not needed. I take mine off of every engine. I even cut the barb, that it screws into, off. I would love to see a video of your Nemesis when completed. It's looking good.
Darrolair
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

You are absolutely correct. The motor ALMOST fits perfectly. I was just thinking about your carb hitting the bottom of the cowl and I wonder if you could reduce the thickness of the phenolic spacer between the motor and the carb. I know absolutely nothing about DLE engines, but it may be worth asking the question. I've also seen somewhere a different type of spark plug and boot combination that is much lower in profile which may also help you out. The more I think about it, I think they were for the Zenoah GT80, but I don't remember if I read about them here in the warbird forum or over on RCSB.

I like your idea about adding the checkerboard squares to your plane, but i'm just not sure about them being lime green [X(]...................LOL

David
David,
I was thinking the same thing about the spacer and i will ask the question.. I did some digging and I know that is where the reed is, I think, so I'm not sure I can mess with it... Your right about the lime green, I didn't care for how the test looked when i put it up to the plane and I am kind of glad, now I can do it with Monokote and not have to worry about paint not sticking.. More to come on that later...
Old 03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: darrolair

mustangman40,
The carb screw you're worried about is to set the idle. It's not needed. I take mine off of every engine. I even cut the barb, that it screws into, off. I would love to see a video of your Nemesis when completed. It's looking good.
Darrolair

Darrolair,
thanks for the tip on the screw... The pic is kind of misleading though, the motor still needs to come forward with spacers 3/8", so the way the cowl slopes up right there it will have to be cut out, less I can cut down the spacer.. Do you know if that is something that can be done?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM
Mustangman40

Exhaust....

Noise is not an issue where I will be flying so my plan is to run just headers, but I have some challenges.. In the pic you can see they need to come out the bottom then go around the firewall.. I have two options on where I will have them exit.. One is out the bottom, but the other is out the back of the cheeks on the side.. The problem with that is they will be taking up some of my air exit as well as run along the sides of the fuse, where heat would be a problem... So dropping them back and down is probably the best option... I been on the web all night trying to find headers, the 60 is just a pair of 30 heads so I figured it would be easy, not!

The only flex headers I been able to find also come with a can, I don't want the can just the header.. Any suggestions, i am all ears...

Jimbo

Name:	Rp42293.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1862069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ok28879.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1862070  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 AM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: Mustangman40

Exhaust....

Noise is not an issue where I will be flying so my plan is to run just headers, but I have some challenges.. In the pic you can see they need to come out the bottom then go around the firewall.. I have two options on where I will have them exit.. One is out the bottom, but the other is out the back of the cheeks on the side.. The problem with that is they will be taking up some of my air exit as well as run along the sides of the fuse, where heat would be a problem... So dropping them back and down is probably the best option... I been on the web all night trying to find headers, the 60 is just a pair of 30 heads so I figured it would be easy, not!

The only flex headers I been able to find also come with a can, I don't want the can just the header.. Any suggestions, i am all ears...

Jimbo

We used Macs almost exclusively. I like that you aren't using a muffler and going with straight pipes. That exactly what we did and you will LOVE the sound. Macs makes pipes for the DLE 30 about 3/4 of the way down the page on the link below.

[link=http://www.macspro.com/headers_side.asp]http://www.macspro.com/headers_side.asp[/link]

Also, Mile High RC has a flex header listed, but with the ripple effect, you are going to loose some power from the exhaust gas slowing down as it exits.

[link=http://www.milehighrc.com/muffler.html]http://www.milehighrc.com/muffler.html[/link]

As for speeds, the T-6's would regularly do 120 ~ 130mph. My Hostetler Nemi at 25.5lbs with the Q75 would hit around 150 in the straights. The faster F-1's could hit 170 to 180mph. I would imagine you will be in the 150 to 170's area on that prop, but it all depends on what RPM range the motor is happy in. Be careful with the dives, anything over 30 degrees and mine would tuck under hard. Also remember that the big boys were using one piece wings made of Nomex with one piece carbon laminated spars. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to making it strong. Remember this when you do your first pylon turn. And yes... that engine looks PERFECT in your plane!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Mustangman40

HP,
I like the Macs as well and have used them a lot over the years.. Have you ever contacted them to make a custom header? I am gonna pick up some flex tube today and make a dummy of whatI need, it's hard to tell from the pic, but it has a couple turns to make to come out where I want them.. Nothing to harsh, but goofy at the same time.. I will post pics later on it....

I here you on the wing and I would be lying if I told you it's not on my mind... From what I can see the whole structure is made of light ply, ribs and all.. The thing that has me thinking is the sheeting, it's pretty thin 1/16" maybe a tad thicker... I haveaccess to another set of wings for the plane, if the price isn't to bad I might pick them up and open the bottom and do my thing... The construction that I see is like nothing I have seen before, I will take pics best I can later so we can talk more about this.. Safety is always my number one concern, if it's not right, I won't risk it..........

Jimbo
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM
Mustangman40

I would also like your take on cooling... The only air i have coming in is the two sides pic1, the only exit is the back of the cheeks pic 2... I was thinking of adding some vents in the bottom to help exit, they will be much straighter then what I drew...lol pic3.........Do you think it's enough?

Name:	Ec87213.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1862170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86405.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1862171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88519.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1862172  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:15 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also seen somewhere a different type of spark plug and boot combination that is much lower in profile which may also help you out. The more I think about it, I think they were for the Zenoah GT80, but I don't remember if I read about them here in the warbird forum or over on RCSB.
David

There is a guy at our club with a Ziroli Corsair that has a GT80 stuffed in it, he's running some sort of shortened plugs and clip on boots. Not sure what or where to get them though.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:39 AM
Herc Pilot
My Feedback: (15)

I haven't personally had any custom headers made from Macs, but I know plenty who have. They are a great company to work with and very willing to help. We used the K&B 40 exclusively on our club racers with a Macs flow-thru muffler. When they stopped production and our members ran out, they ran 25 more just for us so our guys would still have them. If you are going to Toledo, that would be a great opportunity to talk to them and let them know what you are doing. I'm sure they will be excited to hear about your project.

Good thinking about the wings... Since you have access to another set, I would at least remove the covering from the bottom and check to see what can be done to add strength to the spar. Your wing loading will be a lot less at the lighter weight, so it may be a non-issue.

For cooling, IMO, you are right on. I'd add the vents on the bottom and maybe some baffles to make sure the air up front passes through the cooling fins. Other than that, I would check it a few times with a temp gauge after test runs, then go for it.

Herc
Old 03-15-2013, 03:51 AM
hrrcflyer

[/quote]

........ now I can do it with Monokote and not have to worry about paint not sticking.. More to come on that later...[img][/img]

[/quote]

Hey Jimbo,

I wa going to say something about using Monocote for the squares. I did that on a kit built Great Planes Skybolt that I bought for a song. The wings and stab were mostly white with blue scallops along the leading edge and it was easy for me to get the top and bottom of the plane confused in flight. So, I added red squares to the bottoms of both wings and the stab and they turned out great. It's too bad I lost that plane due to dumb thumbs a couple of years ago, it was a good flying plane.............[&o]

David
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 AM
Mustangman40

Thanks for the idea on the caps and plugs guys, I will look into it.. The caps are pretty small only adding a little over 3/16", so maybe a smaller plug would do the trick.. I will know more in a bit, getting the motor in it's right place..

Beefing up the firebox and firewall.. In the pics you can see that I added tri-stock all around and pinned the firewall.. I then will glass the whole box with 5oz cloth and go from there... The sides of the box go all the way past the turtle deck and are one piece, I tri-stocked the entire length as well and have room to get to the back of the firewall and glass as well.. I raised my goal weight to 15 pound rang, but still feel 14's are not out of the question...

Jimbo

Name:	Sq45585.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1862216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35256.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1862217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56036.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1862218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55086.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1862219  
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Mustangman40

I got the nose all glassed and the motor is155mm off the firewall like the manual calls out, but we have a problem...

In the pic you can see that the cowl is hitting the landinggear but still needs to go back another 5/16", i could just notch the cowl around the landing gear,but it will end up hitting theleading edge of the wing.. I'm not realkeen onthe idea of cutting the back of the cowl all the way around, the paint will be all chipped up... I either bring the motor further out, or notch around the gear and the wing... I have to cut out for the carb, no getting around it.. If the motor came out the 5/16" I need it would put the cut out in a better spot, it's real tight to the front of the bottom scoop as you can see in the pic.... I need to give this some thought before Istart cutting.. Any ideas? The spacer I made is the 10mm I needed to come out to be at the 155mm. The motor came with 25mm standoffs, I will put them on just to see how the cowl fits with them... That would put me out 15mm farther then the book, not to sure about this one...

Jimbo

Name:	Hf99873.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	1862362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18892.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1862363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30876.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1862364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15178.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1862365  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For speed i would close of a bunch of the intake to the cylinders and set up baffling to the cylinder. some of your cooling holes are to far fwd. if set up correctly you can use a 1-1.5 area for the intake-exhaust. the DLE 60 will not turn up like the G62 will. Also I wouldnt think you would get much over 120. the way the cowl is now you are losing around 10-15 mph if left stock.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Mustangman40

ORIGINAL: airraptor

For speed i would close of a bunch of the intake to the cylinders and set up baffling to the cylinder. some of your cooling holes are to far fwd. if set up correctly you can use a 1-1.5 area for the intake-exhaust. the DLE 60 will not turn up like the G62 will. Also I wouldnt think you would get much over 120. the way the cowl is now you are losing around 10-15 mph if left stock.

Raptor,
Right now I am pretty close to the 1-1.5, the bottom scoop is open at the back where it goes over the fuse.. Is there a formula for figuring air in to exit for speed, or is it experience from over the years? The slits I marked for cooling on the bottom aren't set in stone, the cowl goes on to the fuse all the way back to the gear, so they can come back a little, but not much.. If I close up some of the intake and set upbaffling, maybe I wouldn't even need the exit holes on the bottom...

What's your thoughts on bringing the motor out from the 155mm it calls for in the joke of a manual? The plane needs the nose weight and I was going to check the CG with it at the 155 just to see where I am at.. For the cowl to sit with out cutting the back for the wing and gear, it needs to come out around 8mm more, so that would put it at 163mm off the firewall..

I hope your wrong on the 120 numbers, I seen one with a 30cc fly and he was getting close to that in dives and we will be pretty close to the same weight due to him having to add so much weight to the tail..

Thanks for the help..
I love doingthreads like this, you get theknowledge from so many others and can apply it to yourbuild.. Good stuff.........

Jimbo
Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Mustangman40

I did some measuring and I have 4.5 sq" coming in and right at 6" on the exit, stock...

Jimbo
Old 03-16-2013, 11:12 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

What plug does the DLE 60 use? If it's a NGK CM-6, check with Agape R/C. They offer inserts for the NGK CM-6 threads to a plug that is almost .33" shorter. I think it's called a Brisk UR17. One thing I'm not sure of is how the plug boot works, but I'm sure the people at Agape will be able to help you out with any questions you have.

David
Old 03-27-2013, 06:02 AM
lomcevac540T

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM
hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

Any progress on your Nemesis? Inquiring minds want to know.................................LOL

David
Old 03-29-2013, 04:16 AM
Mustangman40

Welcome to the thread 540T..........

Hello David,
Work got in the way along with a P47 I am building, but I will be working on the Nemesis later today and the weekend.. I got the motor box all beefed upped and glassed, running to my LHS to get a few things this morning.. The weather is turning finally, going to 50 today with light winds and plenty of sun. Good day to knock off the dust on my fingers..........

Jimbo
Old 03-31-2013, 07:48 AM
Mustangman40

Had a great day at the field Friday, sunny near 60 and winds at 2mph down the runway.. I guess I wasn't the only one with the itch, several members came out as well.. My buddy did two maidens, a Midget Mustang 60 size with a OS120,man it was quick and his Me263, it was sweet as well.. I had my Katana doing long low knife edges, just a fun day to get back outside... My buddy got some awesome pics that I just had to share....

Been in the shop this weekend working on the Nemesis and a P47 I am building, got a lot done.. Pretty nice to jump from one to the other when your waiting on something to dry...

Got the Motor box all done, it's nice and beefy now.. The primer they had on it had to be sanded off, so she looked kind of ugly after I glassed, so I painted it up.. Pretty happy how it came out......

Happy Easter to everyone!

Jimbo

Name:	Tr51645.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1868624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71840.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1868625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76854.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1868626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41274.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1868627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18703.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1868628  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:22 AM
hrrcflyer

Hey Jimbo,

I'm glad you had a chance to go flying. The weather is starting to turn here as well, FINALLY ! ! ! The only problem is that we will get pretty strong winds with the warmer weather for a few weeks which isn't too great. The other problem I have is that I still don't have a plane ready to fly yet.........................[:'(] Ow well.

BTW, whose Me262 ARF is that in the picture? Your Nemesis is coming together, now leave the P47 alone and get back to work in it....................[>:]

Take care,

David
Old 03-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Mustangman40

Hey Jimbo,

I'm glad you had a chance to go flying. The weather is starting to turn here as well, FINALLY ! ! ! The only problem is that we will get pretty strong winds with the warmer weather for a few weeks which isn't too great. The other problem I have is that I still don't have a plane ready to fly yet.........................[:'(] Ow well.

BTW, whose Me262 ARF is that in the picture? Your Nemesis is coming together, now leave the P47 alone and get back to work in it....................[>:]

Take care,

David
Havefinish both of them for the spring, well late spring on the 47

The 262 is a Dynam, twin 70mm on it, very nice plane.. He flew it on a 5c and a 4c and both were great..
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Mustangman40

Mounted my ignition and cut out the cowl where it needed to be.. Overall I'm pretty dang happy with how well the motor fits, even with the caps and carb cuts, not much sticking out at all.. Next thing I need to do is figure out my exhaust headers, pics on that later tonight... I think I am going to go with a Carbon Fiber spinner over an aluminum one, not 100% on that yet.. Any thoughts one way or the other?

I put some heat shrink on my ignition plugs, everything slips right in a little pocket in the bottom of the fuse...

Name:	Db83801.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1868806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14301.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1868807   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27489.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1868808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93243.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	1868809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24484.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1868810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48889.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1868811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94990.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1868812  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.