Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Radio Releases Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Radio Releases Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
farr301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Radio Releases Question

Just a general question,

Is there a general time period when manufacturers release new rounds of radios (Spring, Christmas, etc.)? I'm finally going to make the switch to 2.4, but I'm curious as to if waiting a little while will yield some new systems.

Thanks,
Jake
Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New Radio Releases Question

I don't think there is a season for new release's. You just need to keep track of the deals that come out. From time to time Futaba has a buy a radio and get an additinal reciever for free. Good Luck, Dave
Old 03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Xmas time there are tons of sales. Buckner {spelling} usually has the big super duper sale that time of year on Futaba. Some of the best prices I have ever seen and they make up there own package deals. Worth waiting for?? I saved a couple hundred but I was in need of a new radio at that time of year, not sure if I would have waited that long if I would have needed one this time of year?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Sometimes they are 'released' at the Toledo Show (3+ weeks from now), but that hasn't happened too often.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It seems like most manufacturers try to get a minimum of 4 years of mileage out of a model before coming out with something new. There's been a big flood of new models in the last few years because of the shift to 2.4ghz and then the development of telemetry, but I figure that's calmed down now. Are you worried about buying a radio and then something new coming out that renders it obsolete? If you are, don't be. At any given time buy what you actually need and figure on using it for 8-10 years before you wear it out or really need to get something better.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say, figure out what brand you want first, if you know that, look and see what and when the past items have been released. I am now flying Hitec Aurora (I like it) and they just released or soon going to release the updated version, but I don't think there is any special deals with it.

As with all radio advice I give, try to figure out what you are flying, what you really need in channels (then add two more) and what your budget is.

Good luck

Jon
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Live Wire

New radios are brought out when sales drop and make every one think they need to change 27 72 2.4 and so on. When the market gets saturated (spelling) the new systems come out
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: farr301

Just a general question,

Is there a general time period when manufacturers release new rounds of radios (Spring, Christmas, etc.)? I'm finally going to make the switch to 2.4, but I'm curious as to if waiting a little while will yield some new systems.

Thanks,
Jake

On that front, as this has JUST come out, and is what I personally see as the best 'bang for your buck' on the market today amongst the 'branded' manufacturers, I'd look at (and are seriously considering it myself) this new 14ch from Futaba. It can handle telemetry, works with all 3 of Fatuba's current 2.4gig protocols, handles 3 axis gyro support for helis, and has more than enough channels for anything I would consider flying - and to top it all off ...... I give it all that praise, and yet I'm currently a Specktum guy!

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCVRA&P=0[/link]
Old 03-13-2013, 03:00 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Just to clear this up a bit, Futaba is not the only radio company that releases new radio systems, and they are not the only ones to offer radios with two receivers.

Airtronics
JR
Spektrum
Hitec
Tactic
Turnigy

and others.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Just to clear this up a bit, Futaba is not the only radio company that releases new radio systems, and they are not the only ones to offer radios with two receivers.

Airtronics
JR
Spektrum
Hitec
Tactic
Turnigy

and others.
I'm a little lost as to what actually needed to be "cleared up a bit", as there are only three referrals to Futaba that I can see below (and there is definitely not any brand bashing), and if aimed at my post, I'm not using Futuba currently, but I personally like the specific system I listed as a valid option for an upgrade for my current 6ch radio.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Live Wire

No bashing just fact. If it is not selling find something that will. Not brand name just common sense .
Old 03-14-2013, 03:19 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: kiwibob72

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

Airtronics
JR
Spektrum
Hitec
Tactic
Turnigy

and others.
I'm a little lost as to what actually needed to be ''cleared up a bit'', as there are only three referrals to Futaba that I can see below (and there is definitely not any brand bashing), and if aimed at my post, I'm not using Futuba currently, but I personally like the specific system I listed as a valid option for an upgrade for my current 6ch radio.

It's the only radio listed until my reply. I want to make sure that the OP has all the info on the most popular radios available. I did not direct this reply to you, it was a general post.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
BelAirBob

Horizon just dropped the price on the DX6i which has been around a few years, so something may be in the wings. I think the Toledo Show as mentioned above is the last of the big shows for the first half of this year so if anyone has something new, there is a chance it will be introduced there. But just because something is shown, does not mean you can buy it. I think I saw the Spektrum DX7S in June two years ago, but was November when I finally got one. Airtronics RDS8000 has been around and they have not had a transmitter release for a while so maybe they will have something new soon too. But most radios are fine so don;t worry.

Some people think 5.8 gHz or whatever radios are next but who knows and does it really matter?