Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Midwest Mach One

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:18 PM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Midwest Mach One

You know where.

Item no. 221198874020

No Comment!!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Pattern One
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Mach One

Ron,

I have six original Midwest Mach 1 kits on my shelf. If anyone is interested send a PM.

Leo
Klasskotemo
NovaRossi Engines
B&D Retracts
Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
alcarafa

[X(][X(][X(] holly cow $ 415 highest bid... no way I would pay that much.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RCAiir is completing their mold for the Mach 1 look alike right now. Should be available in glass soon. I can't wait, I'm going to go for the clear canopy option and do the cockpit like a 60's Stunt ship. It'll give me another place to put a side exhaust engine too.
Chris...
Old 03-15-2013, 06:16 AM
skybuster97

Leo,

PM sent .
BL
Old 03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Had to be the very worst engineered kit of all time. What a PIA to build. Or, maybe it was the best engineered kit if the objective was to use up all the scrap pieces of balsa Midwest had laying around. I'd like to see Norm's original drawings as I'll bet his version was much simpler to build. It was a great flying plane once completed though.
Dave
Old 03-15-2013, 10:32 PM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: burtona

Had to be the very worst engineered kit of all time. What a PIA to build. Or, maybe it was the best engineered kit if the objective was to use up all the scrap pieces of balsa Midwest had laying around. I'd like to see Norm's original drawings as I'll bet his version was much simpler to build. It was a great flying plane once completed though.
Dave
I think your correct, I still have the remains of the kit from when it first came out, none of the wood could be used. over the years when I needed a hard piece of balsa for a project I would go to the box and cut a piece off. I have one long board that is hard as 2X4 lumber LOL. I think the construction followed norms original prints very close.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Om32070.pdf (2.27 MB, 210 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: burtona

Dave
Hi,
Some comparison of Midwest Mach 1 and original Mach 1 drawings. It is some differences You can see by just looking and aim at varios distances and areas.

I'm sure Mach 1 was in various versions with slight modifications, as most designs that was flown for several years by the designer. Mach "1" was actually Mach "2" one could say (as far as I know) -the number 2 on the fuselage yellow bar on Norm Page's Mach 1 indicate that. And maybe the last version of Mach 1 that Norm Page flew in 1973 WC in Italy was little different from previous version (just speculating). The drawing in Model Airplane News was published in June 1973. Midwest kit came out about October 1973 (first news about the kitin Model Airplane News below). So the differences we can see between original Mach 1 and Midwest Mach 1 is probably notexplainedby some enhancement that Norm Page did during that short time between June 1973 and Oct 1973. Either Midwest just did some modifications to make if fly easier for average sport flyer or maybe Norm suggested some of thechanges compared to the original design/drawing. Compare also the PDF attachment below of kit review Midwest Mach 1 in MAN July 1973. Original Mach 1 or Midwest mach 1 - it is hard to not like this supersleek and beautiful design. I had one myself back in the pattern "haydays", I meet a guy some time ago from that time when we built and flew our Mach 1 and I asked him if he had still his Mach 1 left - and believe it or not he said Yes I have it in the basement. I have a photo of his Mach 1 below (the red-wite) and mine (orange-white). We made many Mach 1 in our club from a plug and the fuselage was glass and wing+stab foam sheeted with balsa. You can see by our national registration numbers on the planes that we became member at the same time (just two numbers difference - SE-3887(mine) and SE-3889 (his). We both had Rossi 60 FI RC with servo adjustable needle, pipe and EK logictrol super pro 7 ch radio (US radios was very popular and considered good quality back then in our club - today Futaba is many persons first choice in our club) but I had retracts (Carl Goldberg) and he had fixed gear. We had some modifications on our Mach 1 like little larger fin area and slightly larger rudder. Man we burned many cans of fules back then. A nice mould based onoriginal Mach 1 that people like Don at rcaiir.com could make copies from would be nice to get more Mach 1 built and up in the air today.

/Bo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21915.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1862633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32204.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1862634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42755.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	1862635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75128.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1862636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt60587.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	1862637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80653.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1862638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34126.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1862639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15433.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1862641  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Eb86902.pdf (1.52 MB, 159 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Plug is almost ready to mold. Ipainstakingly constructed the plug to be vary accurate. I have also made a plug for the canopy so I will offer it as an option in clear plastic. The fuselage is all epoxy glass and is molded with a canopy as one piece.The kit has CNC cut foam cores and a plan.
The one difference I noticed was the the Midwest kit had a flat 1/4" balsa vertical fin and rudder and the original plans had a airfoil to it. I chose to follow the original design in my construction of the plug for my mold. I have spent many hours researching various plans , drawing, and articles on the March 1 and the history as to bring this great plane back so we can all fly one again.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 AM
bem

frequent flyer,

That is almost to good to be true
A glass Mach 1 based on MAN drawing then. I would love to see a picture of a glass Mach 1 from Your mould when You have one made.

/Bo

Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
RonMcCormick
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: bem

frequent flyer,

That is almost to good to be true
A glass Mach 1 based on MAN drawing then. I would love to see a picture of a glass Mach 1 from Your mould when You have one made.

/Bo

I agree, I will buy a kit as soon as they are available, should be great. Norm does not get near as much credit for his contribution to pattern as he deserves. I watched him fly many times. The Mach one is the best looking plane from that era, it looks fast just sitting still.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 PM
bem

Seems the same guy has another Mach 1 up now on the You know where.
/Bo
Old 03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Trisquire

Based upon those drawings, I like the changes that Midwest made.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM
frequent flyer
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

Based upon those drawings, I like the changes that Midwest made.

I do agree that most of the changes are a plus with the longer chord on the wing and stab etc. I too kept most of those and from the Midwest plan but I did like the airfoil used in the vetrical fin on the original plan better and I incorporated it in my final plug design. I am sure it will be a winner.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many years ago, and now it is decades, I would watch Norm Page and Dave Brown battle it out at a contest. I love the Phoenix, but the Mach I has always been in the back of my mind. I bought two kits down in Ft. Lauderdale a few years ago, boxes wrapped in clear plastic, wood inside, looked perfect, I let them go. I may take a shot at building one, it is a classic, and in the air with gears up, perfect.
Crank
Old 04-13-2013, 06:46 AM
bem

Hi,
I never forget when I was about 13 years old and I was lucky to get into a car when the older guys in our RC club was heading towards aF3A competition in 1974 as spectators.
When we arrived wewalked through the pit area where the planes was lined up. Planes like Banshee (design Martin), Sweetater (design Coleman), Mach 1 (design Page),SlyBird(design Andreassen), Super Star (desig Matt) etc was in front of us and I saw all of them fly. I also remember that those with air based retracts rather often came down and noseleg folded, there was a white Banshee I stil remember when it happened and plane continued with the nose scratching the asphalt until it stopped.And I still remember the pilot was swearingload at the same time.
Anyway, the winner was a Young man Benny Kjellgren with his white-orange Mach 1.

He also competed in TOC that year,1974,with his Mach 1 since he was invited that year because he was our F3A national champion that year (with the Mach 1).Some of the various countries national champions was invited to the first TOC as well as about 20top US flyers.

If is interesting to read in our national model flying federation 50 anniversary yearbook about Benny Kjellgren and his Mach 1 and TOC 1974.
Benny tells here that his brother first built a Mach 1 from Midwest kit and then Benny borrowed his plan and scratchbuilt his Mach 1 (total 7 Mach 1). One person that had a model company here in Sweden wrote to Midwest that Benny had won our national championship in F3A with a Midwest Mach 1 this year, 1974. That way he got an invitation to compete in TOC 1974 in December 6-7-8. He also got sponsored by that hobby company here in Sweden so he could travel to US. Since the competition was held in December Benny had his Mach 1 planes hangared since it is middle of winter here with snow etc. So he had to unpack his Mach 1 and start practice in middle of the winter. He did not bring any fuel with him over to US and it was actually difficult to get fuel in US with low nitro that his Webra Speed was used to.He could only find fuel with 20% nitro and that was really to much for his Webra. So he got some engine trouble on one of the lastflights in one of the last manuvers and the engine quit. He placed 12of 32 competitors at 1974 TOC. When the competition was ended he (and all other) got all the competitors autographs on his plane.See pictures below where he is holding his Mach 1 at TOC 1974 and Miss Circus CircusTOC 1974Chrissy DeFrancesco is admiring his plane.Next picture is probably later in summer 1975 when he had his Mach 1 fleet unpacked in the sun and the plane he is holding is the plane with all the autograps on. This plane is today at display at museum in his hometown.
Hehad Kraft radioat that time and was invited to Kraft factory at TOC 1974 and the factoryhad 240 persons employed at that time. Joe Bridi was his host and showed Benny thebest places of this part of US during TOC 1974.

All about TOC 1974 from Model Airplane News March-April 1975 here:

http://www.algonet.se/~boem/Pattern/...outTOC1974.pdf

Notice on page 15 in the PDF there is an image where Bennyshake hands with astronaut Gordon Cooper.

/Bo

Name:	Pn35603.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1871278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51813.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1871279  
Old 04-13-2013, 09:53 AM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that, Bem. Where is Benny at today, what is he doing ?

Crank
Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
bem

Hi,

Bennyis 58 years old today. He still fly RC. He took first place at Swedish retro/nostalgic F3A meetinghere in Sweden in 2012 with his old Dalotel 2000, see image below when he start (photo taken July 13 2012 byConny Åquist, Sweden).

He has been judge in IMAC and they also arrange IMAC competitions in his home RC club, Tidaholms model flying club.
He also fly a giant 8 meter RC Duo Disco "Rolls Royce" type of sailpane.
I believe today he has a company PV Systems in his hometown Tidaholm http://www.pvs.se/(click the english button in upper right corner, then see "About PVS", Benny's name is mentioned as one of the founders).

/Bo

Name:	Ig13050.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1871593