Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How many have flown at Muncie?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How many have flown at Muncie?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many have flown at Muncie?

I have flown there and it is fantastic. Nothing but wide open airsapce. I had to travel a whole 82 miles to get there as well! Didn't have to cross a state line though. The museum is really nice to and the price is right if you hold a valid AMA card.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

I live about a hour south of Muncie, and therefore have the oportunity to fly in a lot of events held there, plus I host the Hoosier Dawn Patrol held there. For those who don't know, the site is used every weekend, with multiple events being held. It is common to have an RC event, a Controline event, and Free Flight or Rockets all at the same time. The expanse of the facility allows a lot of activity. It also has RV hookups available, and shower facilitoes that makes hosting a multi day event a lot easier.

If you can, visit the museum, it is worth it. Plus it's a drawing ticket for out of state flyers attending events.

I'm not going to debate it's midwest location. I'm lucky it's in my back yard. But I've been told, Indiana is 1 days drive for 90% of the US population.

steve p
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM
sonnytex

An RC buddy and I drove from central Texas to Muncie last year for the Nationals. I attended Nationals a couple of times when I was a youngster and then Nats was held at different places each year. I would like to go more often but Indy is just too far and I probably will not make the trip again. I did have a really good time and actually ran across a couple of guys I knew more than 50 years ago. As a youngster combat was my game but after watching F2D I was blown away. What an insane event.

Sonnytex
Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Max_Power

I was on a trip from Texas to Indy a few years ago and went to go check out the museum, which was pretty neat. I took along my Gasser heli and got a flight in so I could say I did. A group of guys were flying foamie war bird combat and after we chatted about things one of them stuck his transmitter in my hand and launched his plane for me to fly...The fields were nice and I got a free jacket patch from a "free" bucket at the museum ("free fighters like to get high" lol). All in all a enjoyable experience.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner
I don,t care what anyone says its so important to have a single national flying site that all of us can be proud of and a world class place to hold the international events at.
John
This is a great comment. I really feel good about the AMA site (and museum) - I am very proud, and it is an honor to go and fly there.
Not sure I understand the "importance" of having a single national flying site nor do I understand the source of pride from "having" it nor the "honor" of flying there. I can think of a lot more things to be proud of or feeling "honored" about, and "having" a model rc field doesn't even come close to them.

Kurt

P.S. If I recall correctly, doesn't USAA have a common-use car for all of their "members" to use? I think it is parked somewhere in Kansas? Not sure the make and model though.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: sonnytex

An RC buddy and I drove from central Texas to Muncie last year for the Nationals. I attended Nationals a couple of times when I was a youngster and then Nats was held at different places each year. I would like to go more often but Indy is just too far and I probably will not make the trip again. I did have a really good time and actually ran across a couple of guys I knew more than 50 years ago. As a youngster combat was my game but after watching F2D I was blown away. What an insane event.

Sonnytex
And that was and still is my objection to One site location,, see back when this was built I was racing pylon on a shoe string budget,, them building this and moving the Nats to one far away location every year made it financially impossible for me to go compete in the Nats,,

Even though now I do have the means, I'm sure many many don't.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
sonnytex

Having the means is only part of the problem. How many youngsters not on their own can get a parent or interested relative to take them that far? Not many I'm sure. I have the means but I am getting old enough that driving 2 days takes it's toll on these old bones. Fly and rent a car is beyond my means.

Sonnytex
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Have wanted to go in the worst way for years, but my summers are very busy with work, the price of gas makes me a prisner to flying closer to home.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Bozarth

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner
I don,t care what anyone says its so important to have a single national flying site that all of us can be proud of and a world class place to hold the international events at.
John
This is a great comment. I really feel good about the AMA site (and museum) - I am very proud, and it is an honor to go and fly there.
Not sure I understand the ''importance'' of having a single national flying site nor do I understand the source of pride from ''having'' it nor the ''honor'' of flying there. I can think of a lot more things to be proud of or feeling ''honored'' about, and ''having'' a model rc field doesn't even come close to them.

Kurt
P.S. If I recall correctly, doesn't USAA have a common-use car for all of their ''members'' to use? I think it is parked somewhere in Kansas? Not sure the make and model though.
Good points. I've been thinking about this. There are some important places (to me at least) that have two locations, and it still fits the need or goal. I grew up a Disney kid, so Disney is special to me. I've never been to the one on the west coast, but I think it's great that people on the left side can get the experience. There are a couple of Air and Space museums - I've been to one, and it's fun to talk about differences with people who've been to the other.

Having two or three national flying sites would be cool, and I think I'd still feel a lot of the same admiration flying at any one of them, and it would be great that people across the country could enjoy the experience more often.

All that being said, what do you do about Nationals? I was trying to go to Muncie when I lived in NJ. A day or two in the car is workable, staying a night on the way. A cross-country drive, having to stay multiple nights in both directions, is too much, for me at least.