Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

ORIGINAL: Delicious J

I read somewhere in this thread, ''it taking 250 flights to get a pattern plane flying the way you want it.'' Uhhh, ......... No way.
It depends on what you expect out of the airplane. Some fly just fine out of the box for many of us, but some of the more serious competitors and enthusiasts will find plenty of room for improvement.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Flyer88

Thanks Guys! This was a stock Blue, White & Magenta color scheme that I simply stripped off the Magenta and replaced it with Cub Yellow! Im only on flight # 14 now but it is flying very well so far. I just switched to Zippy Compact 4500 35c packs and saved 245 grams from the 5000's!

Chris

[/quote]

Ive been curious about those batteries.......how are they with less capacity ?

Do you still get your rounds in without running short of power ??
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM
hovermaster
My Feedback: (2)

Ive been curious about those batteries.......how are they with less capacity ?

Do you still get your rounds in without running short of power ??

After running through a full Masters sequence at a 4,500' field elevation I am only putting 3000mah back into them, good power all the way.

Chris
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 AM
JerMilosek

Chris,

You bought to minda questionwhen you stated your 4500' altitude because the 2013 F3A Championship will be held at a similar altitude.

Do you and other pilots in your area see an edge for electrics over IC because of the altitude?

How does the altitude affect prop size?

Any other comments you'd care to make will be appreciated.

Thanks, Je r

Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Rune

http://www.bestitemplaza.com/efvanqu...ow-p-2286.html

anyone seen this , found it ..seems to cheap to be true!
any one tryed to buy some from this shop???
Old 03-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have played a little with the wholesale sites. I found a 'too good to be true' composite plane. Talked to a guy, said he had it. Then I got a message that they didn't (after I gave my card, but nothing happened). LOTS of reviews about incomplete shipments or damaged goods.

Be very careful.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:22 PM
flyinhigh1

ORIGINAL: Rune

http://www.bestitemplaza.com/efvanqu...ow-p-2286.html

anyone seen this , found it ..seems to cheap to be true!
any one tryed to buy some from this shop???
Too many mistakes on the website, wire transfer only? No Paypal even? No, there is "too good to be true" IMHO.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 PM
hovermaster
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: JerMilosek

Chris,

You bought to mind a question when you stated your 4500' altitude because the 2013 F3A Championship will be held at a similar altitude.

Do you and other pilots in your area see an edge for electrics over IC because of the altitude?

How does the altitude affect prop size?

Any other comments you'd care to make will be appreciated.

Thanks, J e r

I do think electrics hold a little bit of an edge as they have a more consistent power curve plus no need for mixture adjustment or anything like that but you do have to have good throttle management. I regularly fly with Andrew Jesky and I believe he is running a 21x13.5 and I'm running a 20.5x14 prop both with good results. That may change a little in the summer when we have a Density Altitude of 8,000'! Typically you would decrease diameter and increase pitch a little with the higher altitude.

Chris
Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 AM
pilomeza

ORIGINAL: Delicious J

Thanks for the info. I am almost there, on deciding if I want to go with the EF Vanquish......
I think that you will be happy with the Vanquish. My son an I have one each of us, we mostly fly at Space City RC Club. It will be fun if some day you contact us trough PS and get together and share tips and experiences.

Happy Landings

Luis
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 AM
doogiehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re Landing gear.
In the old days I have flown with fragile retacts that were mountedin weaker than VQ gear and never had one rip out.
The landing gear design is not a weak point. Its designed to break out in a heavy crash landing eg off the runway for example, perhaps save other parts from breaking ie snapping the fuse into 2 . What I have found the THE QUALITY OF THE PLY Laminateused for the plate was very poor in one of my Vanquishes. It delaminated and there was zero glue in the plywood piece itself. Thebolts for the landing gear were holdingthe layers of plytogether. There was adequate glue between the 2 plywood plates ie the soft and hard ply plates, just no gluein the soft ply laminate( ie where the blind nuts crush into) ....ie not manufactures fault just a bad piece of lite ply. It gave way after 10 flights although field was water logged at the time but landing was not hard. Nodamage but a bugger of a job getting out the plate and putting a new one in. ie well glued in.
I used thin CA on the second model to soak the ply and no issues.

Ps Rule no.1 Never taxi pattern models especially on grass fields, they are made to fly not taxi. If you like taxiing try taking up scale.Maximum prop damage and motor wear is due toparticleintake during landing and take off.

Regards Doogie
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM
rightflyer

Just as was finalizing my wing incidence, one of threaded inserts strips on the right rear. Anyone else have this happen? Suggestions? I am not sure I would feel confident in the screw holding the plate.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:34 PM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

one of mine striped too just got one holding it, havent had any issues well over 200 flights or so
Old 03-21-2013, 06:30 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: doogiehl

Re Landing gear.
In the old days I have flown with fragile retacts that were mountedin weaker than VQ gear and never had one rip out.
The landing gear design is not a weak point. Its designed to break out in a heavy crash landing eg off the runway for example, perhaps save other parts from breaking ie snapping the fuse into 2 . What I have found the THE QUALITY OF THE PLY Laminateused for the plate was very poor in one of my Vanquishes. It delaminated and there was zero glue in the plywood piece itself. Thebolts for the landing gear were holdingthe layers of plytogether. There was adequate glue between the 2 plywood plates ie the soft and hard ply plates, just no gluein the soft ply laminate( ie where the blind nuts crush into) ....ie not manufactures fault just a bad piece of lite ply. It gave way after 10 flights although field was water logged at the time but landing was not hard. Nodamage but a bugger of a job getting out the plate and putting a new one in. ie well glued in.
I used thin CA on the second model to soak the ply and no issues.

Ps Rule no.1 Never taxi pattern models especially on grass fields, they are made to fly not taxi. If you like taxiing try taking up scale.Maximum prop damage and motor wear is due toparticleintake during landing and take off.

Regards Doogie
The stock carbon landing gear is heavy and stiff. Most of the landing load transfers directly into the airframe. The gear doesn't do much if any absorption of the loads. If the landing gear mounting block is a little lighter than it should be, you're gonna have problems......

If anyone is interested in a better landing gear for the Vanquish, contact me directly. The revised gear I build is also 1/3 lighter than the stock units. I don't visit this thread often so if you are interested, the only way you'll get me is direct
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Dean Pappas

A quick question, please ...
Those of you flying this ship with the recommended Torque "silver bullet" motor: what's the verdict?
Does the motor hold up and does it power the plane properly?

Thanks,
Dean P.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:03 AM
jetmech43

its a good motor a friend I fly with has one in his, no issues
Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

ORIGINAL: Dean Pappas

A quick question, please ...
Those of you flying this ship with the recommended Torque ''silver bullet'' motor: what's the verdict?
Does the motor hold up and does it power the plane properly?

Thanks,
Dean P.
Dean,

The Silver Bullet is a nice motor. Very efficient, it doesn't seem to run hot at all. Not a great powerhouse compared to the Pletty Advance, Q80, the Neu or Hacker C50, but its less than half the cost. Works great with the Vanquish as the Vanquish is not a huge airplane. Certainly adequate for what we do with them. Would probably be lacking a little for F and unknown sequences, but for anything else, it works great,

Arch
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM
Delicious J

How does the HiMax motor compare to the Silver Bullet?

I want some extra power, but Iam trying to find a motor that is $400 or less.

Any other suggestions?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM
STEVE HOSNER

With a few simple mods to the firewall, the Hacker A60-7S fits fine. Plenty of power.

Steve
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Delicious J

Aeromodel told me that the A60-7S will absolutely not fit, it is too long.

They recommend the Q-60, which is $537.99.

Iam trying to get the model number for the Hi-Max motor so Ican look into that one.

I really want to see if I can get some good power withough going ove my budget.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM
STEVE HOSNER

I will post a few pictures of how I mounted the A60-7S in my two Vanquish as outlined in post 1280 and 1295.

I haven't had any problems so far with this setup. It does take a "leap of faith" to use a hole saw to cut through
the existing firewall. The final result is a firewall that is stronger than the original without adding much if any additional
weight.

I fly Blue Lipo 4000 packs and have 25% average left after a 8 minute Sportsman equlivent flight. I say "equivelent"
because I have a LONG way to go with my flying skills but the motor setup is not the cause of my steep learning curve.

Steve Hosner
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
jetmech43

The torque motor is what the vanquish is designed for, I really dont see the reason for a more high performance motor and a higher cost and modification to make another motor work, the fury will give great performance, just my 2 cents
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Delicious J

I remember what it was like flying my last pattern plane with the recommended motor that was borderline underpowered.

I simply don't want to waste the money and go through that again, If there is another option that will give me a little more power, I
would like to research it.

Iam more of a sport/aerobatic flyer. Iam not looking for something to have just enough powere to get me through a sequence.

Ialways like a little extra cheese.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
flyinhigh1

I am flying my Vanquish with the Torque motor for 2 years now, about 300 flights. I'm at sea level, and have no issues power wise, i enter vertical at half throttle and may add another 1/4 throttle to get tons of altitude for Advanced level. A friend is flying his Vanquish and Torque motor at FAI level. For the price, it is an beatable value IMHO.

Happy flying!!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Delicious J

I like to hear that. A few have told me the opposite though.

I am hoping to meet some locals that fly the Vanquish and see what they are running.
That way Ican judge the performance in person.

I hope I can do this before they sell out again...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Hokie Flyer

Delicious J,

Several of my friends are or were flying Vanquishes.  The Torque, HiMax, and Shulman Fury all fit and all three work very well.

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.