Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Whick LiPo charger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 08:15 AM
ChrisAunchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whick LiPo charger?

So this is my VERYfirst post, I"m sure of many!!!I'm looking for a new charger since I'm thinking of upgrading my battery packs to LiPo, I'm just geting back into the hobby. So here is a list Ihave compiled, I'm wondeirng if any of you guys have any experience with them. I'll be looking at charging no more than prob 7.2V 5000 MaH packs. Also I noticed a few have dual outputs which seem nice if you need to charge too different types of packs at the same time.

And the list is..
Dynamite Passport Ultra Duo 400W - Seems like a classic company, in fact they make my charger Ibought in the late 80's. This seems like a very nice charger for the price no need
for a DCpower supply.
Can't find much for reviews though..... <xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

Thunder AC6 - Good single output charge current can handle higher charge rates. Awesome reviews from Iread.

Thunder TP820CD - Is pricey once you by the power supply. Lots of power though.....seems over kill for what Ineed...

DuraTrax Onyx 245 - Dual 5A output, just very fixed on charge currents. Also no need for external PS.

Thunder Dual Power AC680 - Split the output port to charge 2 of the same battery types? No need for external PS. Great reviews...not as much push as the Dynamite though.

Thunder 1220 Professional Multifunction - Ijust saw this one, can't even find it on there website? Looks like it has a ton of power, but need a external PS.

Any thoughts? Right now I"m leaning towards either the Dynamite or the Thunder AC680. I really like the dual outputs on the Dynamite, Ican charge different batteries at the same time.

Also, who makes a good LiPo battery. There are so many......

Thansk All,
Chris

Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Whick LiPo charger?

For the batteries you're figuring on getting, the Thunder AC680 is a great charger.  Can charge at 6 amps. The thing you have to consider with "dual-port"  chargers is that while you can charge two packs at once, you can only charge them at HALF the power of what you can charge one.  Look at the given "total output" in watts.  If both the single port and the dual port chargers have a total power output of 50W, getting a charger with two ports doesn't buy you anything.  If you really want a two port charger, you'll probably need one that requires an out-board power supply.  In which case, for the price, you could jut buy TWO 50W chargers. 

How to pick a LiPo?  If you can get them, by discharge curves. But not many manufacturers post them.  You could ask around here, but you'd get many opinions.  In the RC Car General Discussion forum (is that where I am now?) there is a sticky post of good beginner info on LiPos and brushless systems that's worth a read.  it will help you pick an appropriately rated battery for the electronics you plan to use.  Generally, a 5000mAh 2S (2-cell) pack with a 30+ C-rating would be fine. (I'm finding I like 40C packs better for my 35A/4300kv EZrun system) 
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM
ChrisAunchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iknow what you are saying about cutting the output power in half. That would only be though if Iam splitting a single output port though correct? The passport advertieses that it is a total of 400W, 200W per output port. The specs also state the charge rate per output port is 0.1–10.0A adjustable charge current. That is what impressed me about this charger. So am Ireading this wrong?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:46 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah... No, you weren't reading that incorrectly, I was mistaken. That is indeed a 200W X 2-port charger. Pretty spiff. But it should be for the price. If you got the coin to spare, go for it. It's got the power to charge your packs quickly. Just be sure you don't charge them TOO quickly, it'll shorten their life. In all things electronic, heat is a bad thing.

Me, I'm a cheap ba$tard. I'm only charging 2S packs, mostly 4000mah. But I do wish, sometimes, I had a beefier charger for my 5000mah 40C packs. That AC680 would be perfect for me. And Icould buy FOUR of them for the price of that Duo.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a thunder AC6
Hard to beat for the price.
I have 2 and 3s 5000mah lipos. Since its max charge rate is 5 amps, that works out perfect.
Its pretty easy to use once you figure out how to scroll threw the menus.

A charger with 2 or more outputs is only needed for the race track, or if you have a couple of trucks that run dual lipos (like a pair of 2s in series or something like that)

Unless you have really high quality packs that can be charged over 1c....and you need to charge them in a hurry, a charger that can do 5 amps is all you will need.
While some packs can be charged at more than 1c, doing just 1c will increase the life of the pack.

Since I race or bash usually 1...maybe 2 times a week, I can charge my 5 lipo packs the other 5-6 days of the week. Thus a basic, but capable charger like my thunder AC6 is all I need.