Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FABRICATING A THERMAL BLANKET

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FABRICATING A THERMAL BLANKET

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: FABRICATING A THERMAL BLANKET

ORIGINAL: KC36330

in a few of the 'Redneck Ghetto' jet I've seen over the years some have used the foil backed insulation like used in between 2x4 basement walls and just packed in till shear friction was what held it in place, i think Shaun Evans even uses just aluminum foil and the wall insulation (with paper backing removed) as well. both are light and cheap just not all that attractive

kc

Yep,

Still better than any ceramic blanket I've ever tried. Way cooler to the touch (on the outside of the skin) and for pennies.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:04 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: FABRICATING A THERMAL BLANKET

We have a thermal insulating material that is good to about 1000 deg. It is a fiberglass material with high temp self adhesive and a foil reflecting surface. Comes in 8" and 5" widths.

Contact us at [email protected]

Paul S
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Hello Harley. Wonder how this would work with the sticky back Alum tape? Hope all is good around your way.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:47 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya Roy.
All is well down here, except for the heat and humidity.
Over 90° every day with fairly high humidity.
All of the aluminum tape I have tried doesn't stick too well because of the coarse texture of the fiberglass weave.
The tape needs a smooth surface to stick well.
I am surprised to see this old thread resurface. The Ultra Bandit I put the blanket in is still going like a Rolex.
Going to Super Jets South? If so, I'll see you there.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:17 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Oh I book marked this one. Ha. Was just wondering on this. I had a pipe to break down in one of my jets and that makes you look at ways to protect things a little more. Ha. no I'm afraid I won't make it to Super jets South this year Mabey next. Have a local freind that will be down there but hope you have a ball. Fly one flight for me!! Ha.