Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron F16 conversion into EDF....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron F16 conversion into EDF....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Byron F16 conversion into EDF....

Wondering if anyone on here has done this conversion already and how were there results.
This is something that I always thought would be great to keep these Byron's legendary jets around for much longer then glow powered ones...
Would like to see and hear what's involved in doing it so....
Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 AM
edwarda10pilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Byron F16 conversion into EDF....

I converted a Byron's F-16 to EDF for a friend. I made my own adapter to bolt an HET 800-73 series motor with 590KV. System ran on 12S and flew well. I was getting about 16 lbs of thrust at 94 amps at about 24K. this data is from the Castle Link data logger. I made a rather simple carbon fiber/end grain balsa laminated motor mount that failed due to a structural failure of the glue joint between the carbon fiber mount and the nylon/plastic motor tube. I am redesigning the mount. One thing I did notice in some bench testing I did was that under full power the motor tube was rotating/twisting slightly under varying throttle applications. I thought the structural integrity of the shroud/stators/motor tube was rather weak. I sanded all of the radii where the stators met the outer shroud and where they met the motor tube. Once sanded, I put some carbon fiber mat in all of the radii and secured with expoy. This cured the structural issue and now all I need to do is to redesign the motor mount, which will be machined out of aluminum and then glued to the motor tube and secured with four machine screws around the perimiter of the motor tube/motor mount interface. To mate the 8mm motor shaft to the Byron rotor I used the Great Planes prop adapter (P/N: GPMQ4971)

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79772.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	1863385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39856.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1863386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45438.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1863387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19554.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1863388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66877.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1863389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73154.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1863390  
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
skyhawknut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it............http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=byron+f+16
Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Props4ever

Ed,

I like how you made shroud mounting former, its really nice design. What are those metal end plate mounts for, looks like some sort of tube/rod mountings..I personally don't think Byron's shroud mount wouldn't be so strong to take torque n resist twists of new electric power systems, they were designed for glow engines who barely could produce 10-11lbs thrust on a good days...

Apart from Byron shroud, can Dynaemax system be installed in these models, wonder if anyone tried them and what were the results and what needed to be done to install those....
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: skyhawknut

I've done it............http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=byron+f+16

I'll check out ur thread on groups also....
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
edwarda10pilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Props:
You are correct. The original ply mount for the shroud was very weak. The ply mount in the photos is 3/16" lite ply. The old ply mount fell out of the plane when my friend was cleaning all of the glow fuel out so I just used it as a template for the new ply bulkhead. The aluminum pieces you see are the backing plates for the plug in wing "C" channels (located on the other side of the mount). I don't have a photo of the other side of the bulkhead. I have made some posts on RCG and RCU. On RCG I am "a-10pilot". Also do a search on RCG for Bob Ruff (bruff) and for Clay (Racer1). They have both done Byron fan conversions.

Ed