Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Which LiPo charger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 PM
ChrisAunchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which LiPo charger?

<xml><w:WordDocument><w:View>Normal</w:View><w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom><w:PunctuationKerning /><w:ValidateAgainstSchemas /><w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid><w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent><w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText><w:Compatibility><w:BreakWrappedTables /><w:SnapToGridInCell /><w:WrapTextWithPunct /><w:UseAsianBreakRules /><wontGrowAutofit /></w:Compatibility><w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel></w:WordDocument></xml><xml><w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"></w:LatentStyles></xml><style> Style Definitions */table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-ansi-language:#0400;mso-fareast-language:#0400;mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style>

So this is my VERYfirst post, I"m sure of many!!!I'm looking for a new charger since I'm thinking of upgrading my battery packs to LiPo, I'm just geting back into the hobby. So here is a list Ihave compiled, I'm wondeirng if any of you guys have any experience with them. I'll be looking at charging no more than prob 7.2V 5000 MaH packs. Also I noticed a few have dual outputs which seem nice if you need to charge too different types of packs at the same time.

And the list is..…
Dynamite Passport Ultra Duo 400W - Seems like a classic company, in fact they make my charger Ibought in the late 80's. This seems like a very nice charger for the price no need
for a DCpower supply.
Can't find much for reviews though.....

Thunder AC6 - Good single output charge current can handle higher charge rates. Awesome reviews from Iread.

Thunder TP820CD - Is pricey once you by the power supply. Lots of power though.....seems over kill for what Ineed...

DuraTrax Onyx 245 - Dual 5A output, just very fixed on charge currents. Also no need for external PS.

Thunder Dual Power AC680 - Split the output port to charge 2 of the same battery types? No need for external PS. Great reviews...not as much push as the Dynamite though.

Thunder 1220 Professional Multifunction - Ijust saw this one, can't even find it on there website? Looks like it has a ton of power, but need a external PS.

Any thoughts? Right now I"m leaning towards either the Dynamite or the Thunder AC680. I really like the dual outputs on the Dynamite, Ican charge different batteries at the same time.

Also, who makes a good LiPo battery. There are so many......

Thansk All,
Chris

Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM
egbasher

Default RE: Which LiPo charger?

Hi Chris. Welcome to the board. I have a Thunder AC6 anf the AC680. Both are great for charging up 2S lipos. They only have about 50 watts of power but it's enough to charge a 4000 is around an hour. I got them at Hobbypartz. I use GensAce batteries. Great prices and they seem to work as advertised. I have no complaints after about two years of use. http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-30c-40...se-direct.html
Old 03-18-2013, 05:08 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the dc power supply I think most have used ATX or Server power supplies and modded them. Works out very very cheap compared to the ready built power supplies. I use the sony playstation3 power supply.

For a budget charger i'd look at iChargers range.

For lipo's gens ace and spc seem popular, but high price doesn't mean good quality if you do see a high price pack. If you google for reviews on what your buying. I use turnigy, been good for me but not everyone.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 AM
ChrisAunchman

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the welcome...Ithink Ifirst posted this in the wrong section. SO I'm kinda bummed no one has said anything about the Dynamite charger lol......It says it has a full 400W PSeach output is rated at 200W. What do you guys think?

Later
Chris
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife got me a Hitec X4 Plus for my birthday. It is awesome!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why get that for the price when you can get chargers like this..

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

or

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html

Buy 2 of them

Get a separate power supply.  Available on here from time to time or convert one.

Separate components means you don't throw it all out when/if one fails.  I like that even though I have yet to have any from HK fail.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 PM
ChrisAunchman

So after looking at the HiTec website I saw this the X2-400 multi-charger.  It says it ccan deliver 400W per port.  That is up too 10 amps per port.  I could easily get a 850-1000W power supply. Do you guys think this is too much?  What is the conversion process for an ATX or server PS?  I have plenty of those?  Is it just tying the buses together to get the proper current output?

I know it seems over kill, but I can always picture going up in model sizes....