Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Lipo Battery & Mamba Max Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Battery & Mamba Max Questions

How do you store Lipo batteries when not in use for a long time? I had one stored at almost full charge and it ballooned up after 3-4 months not being used.

I received a Mamba Max ESC and motor combo from a trade (first generation-discontinued). The guy was using it on a 1/10 scale stadium truck. To demonstrate he ran the truck with a 6-cell nimhs at 7.2 volts, and then with 2-6cell packs, running at 14.v volts. Everything was OK.

Now that I transferred the ESC and motor to my truck, the brakes are very weak. How do you adjust the brakes?
I have downloaded the software. Do you still need to power the ESC and connect it to the PC via USB?

I am also using an 11.1 volts 20c Lipo 2200 mah that I think was originally for planes or Helis, Is this OK to use for a 1/10 stadium truck?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Lipo Battery & Mamba Max Questions

Not sure about the esc but when storing lipo's they should be between 3.6 and 3.8 volts.

EDIT- that's per cell lol
Old 02-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two castle ESCs and a USB programmer that I've used several times, but I can't remember if you need to power the ESC independently otr if it gets enough from the USB. I think you need to power it, but don't quote me on that.

As for the lipo, it's not ideal to be honest, but it'll be ok to start with. 20C * 2200mAh=44A...that will be enough, but I don't think your battery is going to like the startup draw much, and 2200 will give you pretty short runtimes, 10 mins max in a rear wheel drive 1/10th I would think. 4000mAh at 25C is usually the minimum you'll see for surface use.

Storage is as described by the previous poster. Most lipo chargers have a 'storage mode' option. If not, around 3.7v is where they should be at.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:58 AM
echthelion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nah you dont need to plug it into the battery the usb will power the ESC alone atleast it does with my sidewinder
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

Well, I finally found out the hard way.
I finally got a chance to drive the brushless GT conversion using 11.1 volts lipo.
The car was crazy fast, as soon as a noticed the car slowed down, I checked the battery and it ballooned up and is leaking some liquid(acid).

So I thought it may just be a bad battery, so I did it one more time with a different battery, and same thing. I guess I must stick with the 7.4 lipo hard case batteries.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm...shame, but nevermind, get yourself some batteries that can handle at least 150A (mAh*C rating= >150,000) and it'll be fine.