Community
Search
Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

F3a The Future

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: F3a The Future

ORIGINAL: bem

Edit....
First, the cost - a slight bonus factor forplanes that was built by the flyer himself, that would encourage own designs and balsa/ply based planes that can keep the cost down. The really good flyers even if they have ARF's should not have to much disadvantage of that.
You could also have some bonus for lighter planes so if You wanted to use a gas engine You should be allowed but the plane would probably be little heavier then. It's up to the flyer to choose what he prefer as powerplant but more weight should give no bounus effect. Although the contra rotating prop system is probably herer to stay - one can have a slight bonus for people that do not use contra system and that way encourage the less expensive solutions.

Second, how can the flying attract people to watch it - many say it is boring to watch F3A flying. In some way that should be something to take into consideration for the future. I do not know what can be done but in the long run if spectators do not think it is fun to watch F3A flying that should be a hint to make some changes.

/Bo
Agreed, less expensive should be better, easier for new pliots to enter.

Don't agree that gasoline power is heavier in all cases. Consider the fact that my Gassified Vanquish came in at less than 4700 grams; include the gas which is 6 ounces, weight RTF if about 4850. Electric versions are coming in at just about 5000 grams, flight ready.

The contra is agood tool for pattern. But maybe too costly for the average pilot.
HOWEVER, I am not convinced that it is necessary to win!! It will not make a baillarina out of a hippo

Agreed, Pattern Flying in general is boring to the casual on-looker. As judges we are stuck in the chair with a front row seat watching boredom unlimited...gag me with a spoon!! BUT I love it!
I doubt ANYTHING is more boring to watch than Golf, and I love watching and playing that stupid game. Bring in great TV coverage with terrific action shots and Golf popularity is surging and has been for 40 years or more. It doesn't hurt that at least halfabillion people worldwide play Golf

If we could even get some creative TV coverage, I'd bet Pattern (or IMAC) could be made exciting. Would love that too but ain't gonna happen; not in my lifetime...
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FAI Does not give a Hoot about what AMA does.
It is governed by World Class Interest. I for one Hope they Change the rule to 5500 Or no limit. this will drive new development.
I`m itching to build a Bipe that would take advantage of that rule. One could be built with a 50CC Gas version to sell to sport fliers
and a Pro version with a Tricked out gas motor (just like what Happend when the TOC took off) the TOC drove the development
of all these IMAC planes out now, No one complains about the cost of the big planes. and it has thrived for 20years now.
The coverage of the TOC type contest created a new market for the Wana Be`s.
and Maf. built airplanes for the market.

I can see a Gas YS 250 twin ! in the Future

But I don`t think it will pass

Bryan
Old 03-18-2013, 10:47 AM
flyva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question: "Just what hardware does the novice pattern pilot need (today) to develop their skills towards the F3A of the future?"

Answer: That special wrench you need to remove the "bung cap" from a few 55 gallon drums of fuel.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:54 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: flyva

Answer: That special wrench you need to remove the "bung cap" from a few 55 gallon drums of fuel.
All we old timers have said thatfor years and years. But how many times have we sat in the chair to grade the lower classes and clearly see lack of preparation and practice? And more than just occasionally we see top models being used.

Poor flying with a top model is....worse somehow....

You can steer that horse to water but......
ASALWAYS YMMV!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

Hi everyone,
I have recentlypurchasedan old pattern plane that was designed and build by a local F3a pilot. Now, I got this thing at an absolute bargin! I paid as much as what the new engine in the plane is worth. When I first started flying Pattern approximately 10yrs ago, owning a nice pattern plane was all I wanted to do (because they look so good). I ended up flying in comps with trainers, sport planes and one .60 size pattern plane. But,unfortunatelyI had to give it up due to Uni and being a poor student. I have been dreaming of getting back into pattern over the last few years and I'm pretty excited to finally start flying pattern again.
If there is one thing I would like to see change in F3a it would be sequences. I also fly IMAC and I like the fact that the sequences change form year to year. Now if the patterns change ever 2 to 3 years if could be nice to keep things fresh and exciting. Just saying because I have looked over a few sequences and they haven't changed in the past 10 years. Now, there could be areasonwhy they don't change that I don't know; however, if you happen to know why they don't change please enlighten me. Well that's all from me time to get this thing flying and practice, practice and practice some more.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29068.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1863985  
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 PM
PeterP

I see you fly in Aus and I can tell you that the schedules do change every 2 years from Advanced class upwards to F3A. The only schedule which hasn'tchanged is sportsman which is intended as an entry level class. This should not be an issue unless you intend to spend flying Sportsman for more than 2 years. Go to the Australian Pattern Association website for more details.

http://www.australianpatternassociation.com.au
Old 03-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

Well there you go! Thanks Peter. UnfortunatelyI'm back to sportsman so that's why I haven't seen any changes and maybe Advanced is similar to what I remember.... I'll be trying to get my pormotion point asap so I can move on up, hopefully I'll get the chance meet you at a comp one day.

Cheers
Ben
Old 03-19-2013, 03:33 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Goodie_2_Shoes

Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased an old pattern plane that was designed and build by a local F3a pilot. Now, I got this thing at an absolute bargin! I paid as much as what the new engine in the plane is worth. When I first started flying Pattern approximately 10yrs ago, owning a nice pattern plane was all I wanted to do (because they look so good). I ended up flying in comps with trainers, sport planes and one .60 size pattern plane. But, unfortunately I had to give it up due to Uni and being a poor student. I have been dreaming of getting back into pattern over the last few years and I'm pretty excited to finally start flying pattern again.
If there is one thing I would like to see change in F3a it would be sequences. I also fly IMAC and I like the fact that the sequences change form year to year. Now if the patterns change ever 2 to 3 years if could be nice to keep things fresh and exciting. Just saying because I have looked over a few sequences and they haven't changed in the past 10 years. Now, there could be a reason why they don't change that I don't know; however, if you happen to know why they don't change please enlighten me. Well that's all from me time to get this thing flying and practice, practice and practice some more.

I thought i reckonised the model. Pattern comp May 11 at PFL Ben.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:01 AM
cmoulder

ORIGINAL: flyncajun

FAI Does not give a Hoot about what AMA does.
It is governed by World Class Interest. I for one Hope they Change the rule to 5500 Or no limit. this will drive new development.
I`m itching to build a Bipe that would take advantage of that rule. One could be built with a 50CC Gas version to sell to sport fliers
and a Pro version with a Tricked out gas motor (just like what Happend when the TOC took off) the TOC drove the development
of all these IMAC planes out now, No one complains about the cost of the big planes. and it has thrived for 20years now.
The coverage of the TOC type contest created a new market for the Wana Be`s.
and Maf. built airplanes for the market.

Bryan
Isn't it going to be difficult to accomplish any of this without the sound restriction also being eased?

I have no idea how much noise a 50cc (and its much larger prop) makes, but even with the best muffling on Earth I would imagine it is still more than 94dB. I remember that at the Nats some of the electrics were on the ragged edge of the rule.[]

Maybe MTK got some numbers from testing his piped DLE 55.....

Old 03-19-2013, 05:48 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

Bryan
Isn't it going to be difficult to accomplish any of this without the sound restriction also being eased?

I have no idea how much noise a 50cc (and its much larger prop) makes, but even with the best muffling on Earth I would imagine it is still more than 94dB. I remember that at the Nats some of the electrics were on the ragged edge of the rule.[]

Maybe MTK got some numbers from testing his piped DLE 55.....

[/quote]

As I said a few times now, the piped and soft mounted 55 turning the 20x12 Mezjlik 3 Blader is whisper quiet. Probably less that 94 at 10 feet. My best experiment to date

Same exact set-up excepting the prop, is much louder. A 22x12 2 blader is noisier by wide margin.

I think that the bigger blocks will generally be noisier. That's simply an opportunity for innovation/invention in my opinion. Maybe ease the noise restriction for 5 years to allow people a chance to create solutions, then bring it back down

But I'd love the idea of lifting the weight limit. All sorts of opportunities would exist then, and Bryan's suggestion is but one. Repercussions would be or could be substantial, both from a cost point of view and from Judging/scoring

No matter what, Pattern people have always had a love affair with BLING. Much as we have strived to avoid it, Judging has tended to reward that. It also has tended to reward the latest thing in vogue, (much to my chagrin). Companies that make the highest priced stuff would be given cart blanche to charge whatever the market would bear. Yeah, you'd have a nice looker but at what cost? Was it BEM who said score a small penalty for such BLING? I am for that....

OR simply give the guys that create their own solutions a 5-10% reward on score....
Old 03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Goodie_2_Shoes

ORIGINAL: drac1
I thought i reckonised the model. Pattern comp May 11 at PFL Ben.
[/quote]

Yeah I'll be there with bells on. I missed the first one because I was over on Melbourne. Guess I'll see you May 11th.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:18 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

I think they should allow turbines!!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

They don't exclude the kero ones at least, the LPG ones would be excluded, but getting them to pass the noise test would be a challenge.

Rubber power would be legal, but would you have to weigh the plane with or without the rubber? On that note, just to push the costs up a bit more maybe they could restrict the maximum battery pack weight to x% of the airframe like they do with rubber motors in some classes.

Just imagine a multi thousand dollar F3A ship exploding when a rubber motor of that size lets go. Titanium winding stooges would be mandatory...
Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 AM
drac1

ORIGINAL: bjr_93tz

ORIGINAL: mithrandir

They don't exclude the kero ones at least, the LPG ones would be excluded, but getting them to pass the noise test would be a challenge.

Rubber power would be legal, but would you have to weigh the plane with or without the rubber? On that note, just to push the costs up a bit more maybe they could restrict the maximum battery pack weight to x% of the airframe like they do with rubber motors in some classes.

Just imagine a multi thousand dollar F3A ship exploding when a rubber motor of that size lets go. Titanium winding stooges would be mandatory...
One point to consider.
Any type of turbine would not be allowed to fly if a total fire ban was in place.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:51 PM
TimBle

i think i proved a point at my local comp yesterday. winning the Sportsman class with a GW Edge 540 with Mintor 33cc engine. It was about as noisy as a glow engine on pipe, flew better than a few dedicated pattern planes and had more than enough power to have the judges asking "why aren't more people bringing their 25% IMAC planes and doing the same?"

The discipline of pattern has certainly got away from most modelers with the cost of an entry level 2x2 set up costing between USD2000- and USD2500.
That's a couple of IMAC planes so the choice is easy for many to fly IMAC because its cheaper, more exciting and they look like real airplanes to the public identifies with them too.

I've dedicated myself to flying pattern with petrol because its cost effective and exciting to innovate. its also an area where the SIG needs to be educated and convinced that its a viable option since many have bought into the dogma of expensive batteries and electric set ups
Old 03-24-2013, 01:03 AM
drac1

ORIGINAL: TimBle

i think i proved a point at my local comp yesterday. winning the Sportsman class with a GW Edge 540 with Mintor 33cc engine. It was about as noisy as a glow engine on pipe, flew better than a few dedicated pattern planes and had more than enough power to have the judges asking ''why aren't more people bringing their 25% IMAC planes and doing the same?''

The discipline of pattern has certainly got away from most modelers with the cost of an entry level 2x2 set up costing between USD2000- and USD2500.
That's a couple of IMAC planes so the choice is easy for many to fly IMAC because its cheaper, more exciting and they look like real airplanes to the public identifies with them too.

I've dedicated myself to flying pattern with petrol because its cost effective and exciting to innovate. its also an area where the SIG needs to be educated and convinced that its a viable option since many have bought into the dogma of expensive batteries and electric set ups
That's the what sportsman class is there for. To allow pilots to fly there every day sports model or what they have to start flying pattern. But you will find as you progress to the higher classes, a pattern ship will be easier to fly smoother and more accurate with.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 AM
MTK

That's the what sportsman class is there for. To allow pilots to fly there every day sports model or what they have to start flying pattern. But you will find as you progress to the higher classes, a pattern ship will be easier to fly smoother and more accurate with.
Gasoline powerplants today are no longer the heavy, clunky, anemic powerplants of yesterday. They are not just for Sportsman flying IMAC models although as a start, that would work great in Pattern.The reliability, simple operation and frugalfeeding and maintenance cost are great things to have when you are just starting out. Will give the budding Pattern competitor who appreciates the modeling aspect of Pattern as much as the flying, confidence in his equipment working when he wants it working.

Today's gasoline power is at home with full blown FULL SIZED2x2 thoroughbreds; it's a naturalthat will more than keep up with anything flown today.....I am doing that and have no plan to change

Old 03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
TimBle

i think i proved a point at my local comp yesterday. winning the Sportsman class with a GW Edge 540 with Mintor 33cc engine. It was about as noisy as a glowengineon pipe, flew better than a few dedicated pattern planes and had more than enough power to havethejudges asking ''why aren't more people bringing their 25% IMAC planes and doing the same?''
The discipline of pattern hascertainlygot away from mostmodelerswith the cost of an entry level 2x2 set up costing between USD2000- and USD2500.

My quest to use petrol for pattern is bust the dogma you are perpetuating. Sure an IMAC model may be less suitable the tougher the schedule becomes but a thoroughbred pattern plane is not needed to compete and thats the idea that pattern event organisers need to get into their heads.
I see it all the time. Try to attract new people to pattern and the enthusiastic arrive all bright eyed and bushy tailed only to be told now you're flying pattern you need to spend USD2000 on a proper plane.

Pattern people should get over themselves and realise that in order to grow pattern you shold not be steering people toward equipment but rather toward flying competence and skill. That can be earned on any airframe. Once the newbie reaches the skill level where the IMAC plane or the Ugly Stik is too limiting they may then decide to get a dedicated plane.
Instead, pattern people need others to conform to their 2x2 electric dogma and thus chase pilots away at the very beginning.

Developing more affordable alternatives to 2x2 electric is what will keep pattern alive

Old 03-24-2013, 11:16 PM
drac1

i think i proved a point at my local comp yesterday. winning the Sportsman class with a GW Edge 540 with Mintor 33cc engine. It was about as noisy as a glow engine on pipe, flew better than a few dedicated pattern planes and had more than enough power to have the judges asking ''why aren't more people bringing their 25% IMAC planes and doing the same?''
The discipline of pattern has certainly got away from most modelers with the cost of an entry level 2x2 set up costing between USD2000- and USD2500.

My quest to use petrol for pattern is bust the dogma you are perpetuating. Sure an IMAC model may be less suitable the tougher the schedule becomes but a thoroughbred pattern plane is not needed to compete and thats the idea that pattern event organisers need to get into their heads.
I see it all the time. Try to attract new people to pattern and the enthusiastic arrive all bright eyed and bushy tailed only to be told now you're flying pattern you need to spend USD2000 on a proper plane.

Pattern people should get over themselves and realise that in order to grow pattern you shold not be steering people toward equipment but rather toward flying competence and skill. That can be earned on any airframe. Once the newbie reaches the skill level where the IMAC plane or the Ugly Stik is too limiting they may then decide to get a dedicated plane.
Instead, pattern people need others to conform to their 2x2 electric dogma and thus chase pilots away at the very beginning.

Developing more affordable alternatives to 2x2 electric is what will keep pattern alive

Excuse me, that is exactly what I said!
Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 AM
cmoulder

There are certain niches of RC that are never going to attract a wide audience. Watching a great top-notch FAI Pattern flight is boring for the average Sport flier, so imagine what it is like for the general public with practically NO understanding at all about what is going on. Not to pick on any other disciplines in particular, but can you envision yourself getting all hot and excited about thermal duration soaring or rubber powered peanut scale? Only a very small slice of the RC community will have the appreciation for Pattern and the time, the patience and the self-satisfaction to stick with it for the long haul. The associated start-up and ongoing expenses are minor considerations over time.

If you need a 40% Yak with smoke and strobes to get your jollies, Pattern ain't for you.

I don't know what the protocol is in SA, but here anybody can fly pretty much any airframe in Sportsman as long as it isn't too noisy. I've only seen one airframe declined and it was a very loud Ultimate 50cc.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:42 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Most IMAC planes around here $2000 grand will get u the motor and a prop.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Silent-AV8R

the judges asking ''why aren't more people bringing their 25% IMAC planes and doing the same?''
At least in the US there are precious few 25% IMAC planes. Go to almost any IMAC contest and even in Basic you will see mostly 35% and up size planes. The average IMAC plane in the US easily costs $3,500 and up, well up!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:09 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: rm

Most IMAC planes around here $2000 grand will get u the motor and a prop.
No, no...you got it all wrong my friend. We are not proposing use of 40% IMAC models in Pattern. Yes these are expensive toys, even more so than the typical average 2 meter thoroughbred Pattern model.

But I think that the rules for Pattern allow 2 meter sized IMAC planes (good points Timble and Drac1) powered with say a 33-50cc properly muffled engine (good point Bob) that meets weight requirements....And in our Sprtsman class, heavier is allowed for the most part.

In the lower classes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. Timble's point is why not? and I agree...... In the upper classes there is also nothing wrong with it except a thoroughbred pattern model flies Pattern schedules better, easier.....
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM
TimBle

+1 

if it fits in the box and weighs 5.5Kg or less it can be used in the lower classes over here. Only in F3A must it be 5050gr and no more and even then my 25% IMAC model meets the criteria. Its powerful enough and economical to run. It flies likes its on rails and is cost effective to repair or replace... yet there will always those opinionated people who feel is not pattern until you fly something that looks and costs the part. The latter is the wrong approach.

There are plenty of sports fliers out there with smaller IMAC type aircraft who won;t participate in pattern because they are made to feel they have ot joined the frat club because their plane is not an OXAI or CA-Models or Krill pattern ship.

I've never seen a top F3A pilot come to a pattern clinic with a Stik and show the newbies how to fly pattern with that aircraft. The always demo their best pattern planes which again sends the wrong message.
I'd like to see the F3A guys voluntarily fly a cheap plane in F3a just to get the idea reinforced that its not about the airframe. Sadly, I doubt this happens very often.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
drac1

+1

if it fits in the box and weighs 5.5Kg or less it can be used in the lower classes over here. Only in F3A must it be 5050gr and no more and even then my 25% IMAC model meets the criteria. Its powerful enough and economical to run. It flies likes its on rails and is cost effective to repair or replace... yet there will always those opinionated people who feel is not pattern until you fly something that looks and costs the part. The latter is the wrong approach.

There are plenty of sports fliers out there with smaller IMAC type aircraft who won;t participate in pattern because they are made to feel they have ot joined the frat club because their plane is not an OXAI or CA-Models or Krill pattern ship.

I've never seen a top F3A pilot come to a pattern clinic with a Stik and show the newbies how to fly pattern with that aircraft. The always demo their best pattern planes which again sends the wrong message.
I'd like to see the F3A guys voluntarily fly a cheap plane in F3a just to get the idea reinforced that its not about the airframe. Sadly, I doubt this happens very often.

I'm sure that most pattern flyers would be more than happy to fly the model of a new flyer to help them when starting out.
I myself will fly any model a new comer has and offer advice on trimming and assist them to trim/set up their model.

As for experienced pattern flyers flying a sport aircraft in pattern contests, this defeats the purpose of flying in contests. When i compete in a contest, i want to do the best i can so i will fly my patternship. When i go to the field, 95% of the time i fly my patternship as i practise as much as i can.

In regards to cost, well this is no different to any other sport. Good pilots can do well with a average model but the rest of us need all the help we can get and as in other sports, those that can afford the more expensive equipment will go that way in the hope that there will be a benefit. And to a certain extent that is true.

And the ones that can't afford or are not willing to spend the money will continue to winge about the high cost.

As i said. No different to any other sport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.