Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Nanorare Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 10:35 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Nanorare Build Thread

ORIGINAL: MTK

Yup, a swimming pool. Water temp was chilly but after 10 minutes we got used to it. Egads...the river? Not on purpose
Whew! The water front at this point is something of concern. The Province really ought to do something but it's like everything else, coffee is more important...

I know the series.... based on Greek and Latin but mostly Greek (I was born and raised there). Femto, -15,;Hecto -18; Seto, -21' Octo, -24, and so forth.
Ah, a true Greek man! We'll have to grab some Ouzo one of these days... You can teach me Greek. The decending sequence goes: deci, centi, milli, micro, nano, pico, femto, atto, zepto, yocto. The ascending sequence we all know better as we use the terms with computers quite often: deca, hecto, kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, exa, zetta, yota.

In an earlier life, I developed and analyzed optical cables, microwave cables and differential pairs which occasionally required differences to be measured in Femtosecs.
Always loved optics - perhaps my favorite branch of physics when I dabbled with that stuff.

It occurs to me that Octo is close to 1/Avogadro...(BG). But that 's way over the top....LOL
The infamous mole. At first I thought a mole was something that liked burrowing under the ground. That stuff I could never wrap my head around - chemistry - except for the lab. Man, those guys spent their lives following electrons. Physics was all about seeing how one could turn the world inside out. I thought that was cool. I liked the idea that everything could be transformed into what the dudes liked calling a manifold. It wasn't uncommon for those guys to turn a cow into a manifold and then integrate it. If that worked they would then call it a day and head down to the pub. With one of them we were forbidden to call him "sir", it had to be Ian or "Mr. Smeth" (mispelling intended). He was a feisty Scotsman...

Once I discovered how to find out the volume of a donut, I decided it was worth paying attention. It turns out it helps with designing planes.

David
Old 02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: doxilia

... yota.
I remember him. Funny he talked.

Andy
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 AM
gordon_mcln
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

I'm interested in a Nanorare and will email my contact info to you today.

Thanks,

Gordon
Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: doxilia

Once I discovered how to find out the volume of a donut, I decided it was worth paying attention. It turns out it helps with designing planes.

David
Did you mean calculate volume based on constant diameters? Or calculate volume of a real worldDunkin Donuts dount using a bit more rigorous math?

For me, I'd use Archimedis method and call it a day. But first I'd have to water proof the thing....LOL, danged it, there's always sumptin'
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 AM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt,

Well, you know how physicists are - they like to find the cleverest solution to the most complex variation of a simple problem.

Dunkin your donut in 'latte has always worked but along came a bloke called Stokes and he said he had one solution for all problems:

Surface integral of partial S = Partial line integral of S. S is the donut of course, or your dog, a cow, a couch, the ocean or whatever strikes your fancy.

It took me forever to wrap my head around it but it finally sunk in one day. I explained it to my 10 year old son two years ago using an orange and nice chalkboard drawings..., he got it right away.

The beautiful young mind... Einstein did say all kids could learn partial differential equations easily before 8 years of age.

David

PS Donuts are notorious for their non constant diameter...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You know the problem with educating the prepubescent mind is that they actually have some knowledge once they become teens and then think they know it all.

Andy
Old 05-22-2014, 09:29 PM
WontGrowUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I've been scouring the web & the forums, looking for a smallish pattern type plane. I live on a golf course, which is a great runway for my Mini Ultra Stik & Mini Katana. I think a Nanorare, electric with retracts would be a great addition to the hangar.

Any word on the builds that we're going on?

Thanks

James