Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New Mato Metal Stug Ready for production

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New Mato Metal Stug Ready for production

Old 03-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Ronan87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Mato Metal Stug Ready for production

I think a balance of metal and plastic is best. At least for me.

My 1/16 King Tiger Henschel:

Plastic turret and upper. VERY easy to modify/paint/etc.
Metal barrel + metal accessories/tools. They look good and proper thickness/size/etc.
Torro metal hull. The inner is all metal + metal suspension (proper torsion bars, etc), while the outer is a tough plastic (easy to paint).
Metal tracks/wheels. Durability.

I get the best of both world. The added weight makes the tank react more like a tank too.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 PM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Im a bit wary of this topic as it can quickly derail to a T***** Vs. H*** L*** type affair but:

1. Metal , at least steel sheet, must surely provide more realistic damage? There are an awful lot of very strange looking bent fenders on an awful lot Tigers.

2. Metal at least has a texture that is metallic. Not suitable for all tanks obviously but the best thing for replicating the texture of sheet metal must be...sheet metal.

3. Less bending of things gun barrels as you go over bumps.

4. Plastic just looks too perfect most of the time. Lot of tanks out there with great paint jobs but the angles and edges are often way too sharp and the surfaces way too flat/perfect.

5. Plastic looks "warm", metal looks "cold".

6. It gets rid of glue.......

I dont actually see what one loses in metal as opposed to plastic. Plastic is obviously the easier and cheaper option but if you are willing to spend weeks attaching plastic rivets and individual grains of dust to where you want them and buying expensive metal accessories like shovels and cables and so on.......Im not sure Isee the logic at all.

p
Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Woah pony, no one mention either of those manufacturers (in this case they're both in the plastic boat).

1. In theory your correct however scaled down material doesnt always behave as it does at 1:1 scale. Talking about steel sheet it's probaby going to end up over scale so won't act the same. In terms of what segment of the market matos going for most will be cast rather than made out of sheet so won't act as the prototype anyway

2. Again in theory this should be correct however in practise I've found chipping over metal in small scale never looks right.

3. Barel wobble isn't cause by the barrel bending so is a moot point

4. I would disagree, this all depends on the master the moulds are based on.

5. When painted you don't notice this anyway.....

6. Only if things are designed to be bolted on (best option IMO), but you can bolt stuff onto a plastic model too......

Saying that though I agree with you that metal is a good option, but in my opinion it's more about the characteristics of the model moving looking more realistic and also provides a more robust model!

ORIGINAL: lposter

Im a bit wary of this topic as it can quickly derail to a T***** Vs. H*** L*** type affair but:

1. Metal , at least steel sheet, must surely provide more realistic damage? There are an awful lot of very strange looking bent fenders on an awful lot Tigers.

2. Metal at least has a texture that is metallic. Not suitable for all tanks obviously but the best thing for replicating the texture of sheet metal must be...sheet metal.

3. Less bending of things gun barrels as you go over bumps.

4. Plastic just looks too perfect most of the time. Lot of tanks out there with great paint jobs but the angles and edges are often way too sharp and the surfaces way too flat/perfect.

5. Plastic looks "warm", metal looks "cold".

6. It gets rid of glue.......

I dont actually see what one loses in metal as opposed to plastic. Plastic is obviously the easier and cheaper option but if you are willing to spend weeks attaching plastic rivets and individual grains of dust to where you want them and buying expensive metal accessories like shovels and cables and so on.......Im not sure Isee the logic at all.

p
Old 03-15-2013, 03:07 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Hello TomH

Fair points....in my defence, I didnt think the discussion was limited to the zinc alloy the Stug is probably made from.

it's more about the characteristics of the model moving looking more realistic and also provides a more robust model
True true.... by the same logic that a 3:1 gearbox fulfills the requirement for a more realistic motion and is by now almost a necessity if one wants a "good" tank, then metal tanks such as this one at a nice price pointshould have a bright future indeed!

Woah pony, no one mention either of those manufacturers
Oh Im sure someone will.........

p
Old 03-15-2013, 03:47 AM
Strato50

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I've learned with my metal KV, PanzerIII & Tiger hulls & metal tracks, fighting in grass can be a pain if you want to turn quickly.

However, if you need to smash your way through a hedgerow or over a ditch, nothing beats a 14 pound tank
Old 03-15-2013, 03:49 AM
FreakyDude

Well the Stug will be hitting the streets first week of April, Based on the price I was quoted I would think this is going to sit right along side the PZIII in price. I like the detail on this one and think I'll be getting one for myself.

ORIGINAL: MAUS45

How Much!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94493.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1862197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84841.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1862198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77440.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1862199  
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That does look good, even better if it had metal tracks on it too.

I'm waiting on an all metal Sherman. Even though, I am starting to like that StuG.

~ Jeff
Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think they're just chemically blackened Jeff.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:13 AM
NCKT

Put me down as against the all metal models. Plastic is much easier to work with. But then again, I don't see the point in metal tracks either. I guess I prefer keeping the tank lighter and just using metal only where it's needed, like the sprockets, idlers, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

FreakyDude, So close to $600? I really want one, but now its creeping into the "Tamiya" price range and there are no electronics. It does have the torsion bar suspension and from the pictures looks to have the Asiatam wheels on it as well. Does it have just the drive gearboxes and motors or does it have the gun elevation/recoil as well?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:07 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It has metal tracks, wheels are metal but are Mato not Asiatam. I think it comes with the recoil and elevation motor, but am not sure. Personally it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it came with neither as they will probably get changed out to servos.

Comes with functioning idler adjusters as well.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58829.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1862206  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 AM
karel47

very nice stug want one to
Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

I think YHR nailed it. Tanks are metal, that's that. Whether that's needed or wanted in 1:16 scale is beside the point. It's attractive, especially if the price is right, practicality be damned!

Definitely some added challenges to working with this sort of material over plastic or even aluminum or steel.

Curious if the weight of the tank is suspended at the four corners via the dampeners (like the HL and Asiatam setups) or if the dampeners are not spring loaded, and all the torsion bars are actually doing the work they should be.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Ronan87

What quality is that metal?

When i used to play airsoft a lot of the metal receiver's on AR's were pot metal cast. A good 'hit' and it would crack..
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 AM
dyeager535
My Feedback: (1)

I'm guessing it's Zamak? A zinc alloy as I recall. It's probably the same stuff you have experience with.

Cracking, unless you plan on shooting it, is likely not much of a concern for the tank. Most of the suspension doesn't put force directly on the chassis.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
MAUS45

The only reason I was thinking Asiatam is that the rubber on the wheels has the makers mark on them, "Continental"?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
FreakyDude

Less than $600 shipping will be the big concern here as the tank is probably pretty heavy with everything being metal.
ORIGINAL: MAUS45

FreakyDude, So close to $600? I really want one, but now its creeping into the "Tamiya" price range and there are no electronics. It does have the torsion bar suspension and from the pictures looks to have the Asiatam wheels on it as well. Does it have just the drive gearboxes and motors or does it have the gun elevation/recoil as well?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

As the one who got us started on this tangent I want to say I personally
like an all metal model. Makes me feel at home so to speak.

I have mato's pzkw III, StuG III and kv-1 all with either impacts or
matos metal tracks and Asiatams lowers. I like the weight and durability
of the hybrid. Can't say I wouldn't get an all metal StuG III .

Jerry
Old 03-16-2013, 06:40 AM
mustclime

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks nice, wonder if the gun can be set up yo treverse side to side.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 PM
STO_118

There is no traverse, we tried to make it work with the gunners sight but it was decided it was adding complications. The road wheel tyres manufacturer data were taken from the Panzer III at Bovy and are not from Asiatam/TaiGen set. The return roller tyres will also now have manufacturer details on them, the characters are slightly oversized but still look acceptable.

The tracks are indeed metal, with open guide horns.

The Panzer III will also have better headlamps that will be released soon. As Dan has mentioned the Sherman (s) is the next project, although tanks after that are already being looked into.

I am sure anyone who has seen in the Panzer III in the flesh, or has purchased one will agree when I say they are quite impressive. Not perfect, but good models overall.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Spitvalve

Disappointing that HL is plopping R&D money (minimal that it is, given the mold masters already exist) into metal rehashes of existing models. The previous posts about it being metal doesn't mean it will look like metal really hit home for me. Just don't see the point of anything metal above the chassis, other than leaving it unpainted to show it's all metal, if that's a point of importance(?). What will the sales of metal Tigers, PZIIIs, Stugs, and Shermans be compared to releases of a good T34/76, anything British, anything Italian, or a PZ 38(t) and all its possible variants?

Oh well. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

YMMV,

Mike.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM
FreakyDude

STO 118 you use the word "we" in your posts alot, so can you explain what relationship you have to these tanks? The way your post reads it is as if you were part of the design team or something.
If you are then it lends credence to what you say, if not then I guess i'll just have to wait to get my tank to see if a traverse would work or not.
ORIGINAL: STO_118

There is no traverse, we tried to make it work with the gunners sight but it was decided it was adding complications. The road wheel tyres manufacturer data were taken from the Panzer III at Bovy and are not from Asiatam/TaiGen set. The return roller tyres will also now have manufacturer details on them, the characters are slightly oversized but still look acceptable.

The tracks are indeed metal, with open guide horns.

The Panzer III will also have better headlamps that will be released soon. As Dan has mentioned the Sherman (s) is the next project, although tanks after that are already being looked into.

I am sure anyone who has seen in the Panzer III in the flesh, or has purchased one will agree when I say they are quite impressive. Not perfect, but good models overall.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
DirtyBird69

In a way I tend to agree...I would much prefer to have an all plastic British/Japanese/etc. tank come out then something all metal that already is in production....Better yet why don't they just come out with an asiatam/tamiya style metal chassis with torsion suspension andoffer thatfor all their models....just my opinion...

ORIGINAL: Spitvalve

Disappointing that HL is plopping R&D money (minimal that it is, given the mold masters already exist) into metal rehashes of existing models. The previous posts about it being metal doesn't mean it will look like metal really hit home for me. Just don't see the point of anything metal above the chassis, other than leaving it unpainted to show it's all metal, if that's a point of importance(?). What will the sales of metal Tigers, PZIIIs, Stugs, and Shermans be compared to releases of a good T34/76, anything British, anything Italian, or a PZ 38(t) and all its possible variants?

Oh well. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

YMMV,

Mike.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM
STO_118

ORIGINAL: FreakyDude
STO 118 you use the word "we" in your posts alot, so can you explain what relationship you have to these tanks? The way your post reads it is as if you were part of the design team or something.
If you are then it lends credence to what you say, if not then I guess i'll just have to wait to get my tank to see if a traverse would work or not.
I don't work for Mato if that is what your implying but I do help them out from time to time. Mato ask for advice and research information and I help where I can. I am not the only one who does this and I know some people in the UK have helped out in the past and perhaps future as well. The Panzer III in particular I put a number of hours into. The StuG as well, I wanted to add a limited traverse to the gun mount but in order to do this it would have required a significant re-design of various items. Since for the most part these tanks are designed to use Heng Long electronics and to help keep the costs down Mato decided not to work on it.

I would have liked to have done more but I am limited by running my business and working as well.

Spitvalve it isn't Heng Long making these tanks, it is Mato using completely new moulds and R&D. The various smaller detail parts are designed to work with Heng Long tanks and the tank themselves with Heng Long electronics but this more to sell more than just tanks and keep running costs and options open for end users.

Dirtybird, Mato have decided to make just metal tanks for the moment.

The sales of individual tanks is very speculative, the sales of the Tigers, Panzer III's and all the upgrade parts has obviously been enough for them to move forward with their plans. It is very easy to say release an Italian tank but how many people would buy one? I don't think it justifies the cost at the moment.

It is better for the manufacturers to release tanks they know will sell and stay in busness than to go through the great expense and potential losst because a few people in the hobby want them. That is the problem, the hobby is small, costs are high and increasing all the time especially in China.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
MAUS45

Check this out...The photos are larger and you can see more detail. The weld detail can be seen in these photos. Very cool !!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pre-Order-...-/300875764723

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.