Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Giant GP Super Sportster!!!!!

I think you did awesome. My first attempt at this many years ago, did not turn out so well. I learned a lot from it. I think you will be fine.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 AM
Muttdog

Appreciate it. I run a small motorcycle parts and accessories shop and we specialize in shipping so cardboard is a medium I am very familiar with (mom would be so proud!). This is not the first plane I have shipped but it is the largest and the first by bus. I will let you all know how it all turns out.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Muttdog,

Greyhound usually does a great job of getting them there unharmed. When you've got a plane that long, it can be tough, what with the size limits, and trying to keep it under.

Funny you should mention that you didn't have any hits on RCU. I've had a ton of views on the Bipe I'm selling, but no offers. One of my friends wanted to bet me that I wouldn't sell it here in RCU.

It seems he might be right. Disappointing, to be sure.

I'll follow your lead there.

Jim
Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just finished flying my GSS and put about 100 more landings on the new gear from a Giant Stick. That gear works great, it is the perfect width, it's easy to mount, holds up well during crosswind landings and is springy enough to absorb the shocks of rough fields and bad landings.

Will sure be glad when I can fly without the ear muffs, gloves and heavy jacket. It is supposed to be in the 70's today, but I had to fly really early in the AM when the temps were in the 40's and the wind made it pretty chilly.

Muttdog, hope your GSS gets to the new owner in one piece. It sure is a joy to fly.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Sad to lose one of the GSS forum regulars, though.

Jim
Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM
Muttdog

Steve. you must wear out the tread on the tires with all those landings. Glad to hear the gear is holding up. I spent about 2 hours last night typing up detailed instructions for the new owner on how to remove the plane from the crate along with build instructions and some setup/flyingtips. He was so grateful and sent me one of the most humbling replies Ihave ever received. Sounds like it went to a good home. If the greyhound deal works out I am going to put one of my smaller planes on the bus to Texas so when Ivisit there next month for the Moto GPrace in Austin, Ican get out and do some flying with my father and father in law.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

I just finished flying my GSS and put about 100 more landings on the new gear from a Giant Stick. That gear works great, it is the perfect width, it's easy to mount,holds up well during crosswind landings and isspringy enoughto absorb the shocks of rough fields and bad landings.

Will sure be glad when I can fly without the ear muffs, gloves and heavy jacket. It is supposed to be in the 70's today, but I had to fly really early in the AM when the temps were in the 40's and the wind made it pretty chilly.

Muttdog, hope your GSS gets to the new owner in one piece. It sure is a joy to fly.

whete might I get me some landing gear as this? I still have my GSS to assemble yet, and I think that I the final detail i lack .

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Joystick TX

LXKJY4
Great Planes Main Landing Gear Giant Big Stik ARF
This is the one I got from Tower Hobbies, the price with shipping was around $26. If you shop around, you may find a better price, I deal with Tower a lot so I went with them because I have always had good service.

It has an anodized finish thatlooks like it willtake paint well. I left mine bare because I wanted to fly right away.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM
Joystick TX

One good thing about the grass runway is that it is easy on tires, I've only worn out four sets and I lost one tire due to a loose wheel collar, I hate it when that happens.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Muttdog

All I can say is +1 for greyhound. I shipped the package Tuesday evening after 6:00 pm from Palm Beach, FL. The buyer just contacted me today to tell me he had just picked it up in MD earlier this morning. I couldn't ship a 5 pound package via UPS that fast for that price!  Buyer reported the box looked like they took good care of it and there was no damage. All I can say is WOW! Greyhound is the best way to ship large packages hands down
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Muttdog,

I followed your lead, and it looks like I sold my Super Stearman.

What did you pay at Greyhound to ship it? I'm shipping the bipe from TX to California.

Jim
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 AM
Muttdog

Jim:
Total price to ship + $300 of insurance (the max they offer) was $94.00. Total package dimensions was 77 x 36 x 20 and the weight was 34 pounds. You can get a quote online. Just google "greyhound package express" Good Luck
Old 03-25-2013, 04:26 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Thanks, Muttdog. I was just trying to get some idea of what it costs now. I hadn't shipped one in nearly two years. Sounds like they haven't raised their prices too much.

Jim
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
amc72
My Feedback: (2)

Anybody know if this plane will sport fly on a 26cc gas engine?
Old 04-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say yes. I fly the S.Sportster on a 34cc but also flyan 83" wingspanMentor-G on fiberglass floats which weighs a pound more that the Sportster (dry) with a 26cc Zenoah w/magneto. The latter is plenty for sport flying with an 18 x 6 prop and also can carry an additional 12 oz of smoke oil.

The Zenoah G-26M is a peach of an engine.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Marginal vertical is what I'm thinking. How marginal depending on how light you can build and which engine you're thinking of?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmm.  It's an ARF.  You can't build it any lighter than it comes.  You can only equip it lighter.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM
amc72

It's the evolution 26. Below is a link to the specs.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/EVOE26GX#t2
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 AM
Muttdog

I am not sure using the Mentor G as an example is Valid. I had a Avistar with OS .40LA at about 5.5 pounds and it flew like a dream. After I had a midair collision with it, Isaved the motor and used it in a Phoenixmodels Jupiter. The plane had the exact same weight as the Avistar so Ifigured the engine would pull it fine. The Jupiter is a F3A type pattern plane with symmetrical mid mount tapered wings and when I tried to fly it with the OS it would barely get into the air. I had to fly it at full power just to stay aloft! I was so stunned by how it would rip that Avistar around the sky but could barely pull the Jupiter of the same weight. This was when I learned airframe design was just as important if not more then weight. I am sure a 26 would pull the GSSaround but many here do a lot of mods (LG, flying wires, heavy duty pushrods/ball links) that all adds weight and may push an already struggling setup over the edge. In my very humble opinion I would think it would be just enough but will definitely fly it. The mods that most have done here are worth doing and will make the plane last longer and fly better but they do add precious ounces.
On another note the guy I sold my GSS to should have it in the air any day now. Last I heard from him the plane was done and he ran the engine twice and was just waiting on a good weather window. I am also finished with my new Extra and I maidened it this past weekend. All I can say is WOW! I only put about 20 minutes on it for some shakedown flights before the wind got too much for my tastes but it was rock solid in the air while other planes were getting blown around all over the place. This thing has a ton of performance and it will take me a lot of time before I can get even close to pushing it to the limits. Headed to TX this weekend for the Moto GPrace at COTA and then back in the air next week. Hopefully it is starting to warm up for some of you and the flying fields are green and mowed!here are some pics of my new bird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72590.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1872891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57672.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1872892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23204.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1872893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24860.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1872894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41343.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1872895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44647.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1872896  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 AM
ddewey

Flew mine for many flights with RCGF 26 before I had an oops that broke the mounting lugs on the motor. It flew as a lively sport model that everyone that flew it liked the relaxed flying. Vertical was good for a couple hundred feet. You can see the motor and mount in my profile. I no longer recommend the extended stand-offs that I used.
After the 26 I had a Fox 40 that was a better power option to extend vertical, but other parts of flight envelope were the same.
The Fox got indigestion from internal engine part failure (great engine but very high hours) and as of yesterday an old magneto US 41 with low time has taken its place. I am looking forward to finally getting weather here that we can fly in!
IMHO the GSS is a great forgiving platform for almost any engine glow or gas above 1.20 glow and 20cc gas; great with the 30cc class.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:26 AM
amc72

Thanks for all the info!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:33 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Hmmmm. It's an ARF. You can't build it any lighter than it comes. You can only equip it lighter.
If that's the way you'd like it. I'm sure as heck not stepping into that debate...

Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

AMC72,

I fly my Giant Super Sportster on a 30CC gas engine. The model lends itself well to a small-to-mid-size gas engine application. A 26CC will fly that model all day long, without a care in the world. With the 30CC gas engine, mine leaps off the ground in less than 20 feet. A 26CC gasser should do about the same, especially into the wind. You should get a few hundred feet of vertical, or even more if it's just a steep angle. You asked about sport flying, and the 26CC engine you are talking about should do a nice job of powering it for sport flying.

I know guys who fly 50CC engines on their GSS's. It will literally hover with an engine that big. I'm remaining focused on your request for a sport application. When you go to an engine that will hover an aircraft, there's always a cost. A 50CC engine will make the plane more aggressive at times, especially landing, and that's the trade-off. It's still a great-handling plane, even then.

The GSS will lend itself well to any reasonable engine application, and your 26CC is certainly a fine, more than adequate engine. It'll be a favorite of yours.

I would recommend flying wires in the back, especially holding the rear stab down to the fuse. I think I have a video out there somewhere showing how to install flying wires, and I think in the video I'm installing them on my GSS.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcmeQIqzpy4

Jim
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
amc72

Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie,

could you please tell me some more about your fiberglass floats?

Where did you buy them? I'd like to buy a 40 size set for my Kyosho cub.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.