Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Buying SkyFun Jet from HobbyKing

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

Buying SkyFun Jet from HobbyKing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:17 PM
masterclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying SkyFun Jet from HobbyKing

I am buying aSkyFun from Hobbykingwith mmotor and I want to know if it will be fast enough to chill my need for speed. I want to buy a Mega but I hear they went under. Could someone post a possible link to Mega ....I had a Astro .020 5 turn in a speed 400 wing and it was pretty fast but the astro motors are kind of pricey. I might try an E-Fliite 2700 if it's good enough.Any help or advise on this plane and motor would sure be nice.

Masterclam

Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Grodus

Default RE: Buying SkyFun Jet from HobbyKing

I doubt it. I have the first version and it was so underpowered that it was difficult to fly. A buddy of mine came over last night with a version 2, the plane is not built yet but we ran the motor and I wasnt impressed though its probably an improvement over version 1.
IMO the thing to do is mount a 64 or 70mm fan unit on it. I have flown mine with the stock 64mm Phase3 setup, the ChangeSun 10 blade 70mm and the $22 70mm fan and motor combo the HK sells. I like the $22 unit best. I can fly with a 3s 1300 or a 4s 3600 and everything in between. No need to hand launch, it will take off the ground even with a 3 cell. Probably best with a 4s 2200. Unlimited vertical and prob 75mph. I have about 300 flights on mine and its probably my toughest, most reliable airframe and I wont hesitate to fly it in 25mph winds.
The elevons should be reinforced. I used 1/16 balsa epoxed to the full lenght of the elevons. The canopy latches are crap and not glued in well on either version.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 AM
phillipmorris

I also ordered one, to arrive Tuesday, the stock is underpowered from video viewed. Likely will upgrade mine but checking to see if it's a beginners entry not ready for speed.

Flown Strykers so not new to these, later version has gyro stability, see if it improves anything as handling etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM
phillipmorris

Received and flew a new version from Hobby People. Frame other than vertical fins is one solid piece. Has a stabilization built in.

Winds were high 18 to 25 MPH, moments of settling early in the day so off we go. Mostly defensive as winds built up, but amazingly did penetrate, on turn around was checking deadstick, mistake and blew behind me, had height winds flipped it inverted but rightened, pulsed it back, low throttle to bring down hovered down, able to rise nose at touchdown near harrier, settled softly on the frozen tundra. I was amazed as handled rather well.

Here is a close look at it, a RTF, was on sale few days ago. Small Tx didn't impress me, actually worked near decent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSS6y...e_gdata_player

Can't wait for winds to settle!