Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

T28 Trojan Replacement Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:50 PM
eagle76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T28 Trojan Replacement Motor

Can anyone recommend a drop in ESC and motor from Hobbypartz.com that would drop into the Trojan t-28?

I was thinking of these and I would prerfer not having to do major modification if possible.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/30a-electr...o-series-.html

motor

http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-4809...ess-motor.html

Can anyone help?
Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: T28 Trojan Replacement Motor

Several sites have the replacement motor mounts, ESCs and motors for the T-28 & F-4U; e.g., www.atlantahobby.com
Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 PM
eagle76

Beaner,
Thanks for the reply but my objective is to not pay $60 for a motor that Im probably going to trash as Im new. Im sure people are buying hobbyking or hobby partz motors and making them work in the T28.... for 1/3 of the cost of an OEM/Parkzone motor.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

The replacement motors for the T-28 / F-4U are especially made for those acft so they fit with the cowlings of acft (using their standard motor mounts). It's not the 'standard' E-flite 480 form / fit. The motor is difficult to 'trash', but the shafts can easily be replaced - hmm how do I know If care is taken to properly loosen the set screws, tap out the old shaft, insert the new shaft, and tighten the set screws and add the collar.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM
waverider627

Iknow this post is OLD, but how hard do you have to "tap" the shaft to get it out?I figured that I would have to after i loosened the set screws and it didn't come out. Also, I assume I tap the front of the shaft (the propeller end) so it slides out the back of the motor. RIght?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Dr Kiwi

Never "tap" a shaft out.. use a vise or drill press and "push" the shaft through....using a drift on the shaft, or an oversize socket as a spacer on the housing.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM
longbikez

Using a socket on the frame of the motor is a sure way to damage the ball bearings, what you need is a receiver for the shaft that is slightly larger than its diameter. Press the shaft of the motor into that receiver (using a drill press ideally) after removing all set screws and collars and any e-clips that may be there. OTOH lots of guys just go ahead and replace all the bearings when replacing a shaft since they're cheap vs. starting up your newly rebuilt motor and hearing horrible noises come out. Just remember when pressing a bearing on or off to NOT let the balls and races take the pressure, only the center cone.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM
sierra12
My Feedback: (3)

heads up rc power 480 motor, also have alum mount, works perfectfor t28 price is right. shipping is fast and cheep;
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Dr Kiwi

ORIGINAL: longbikez

Using a socket on the frame of the motor is a sure way to damage the ball bearings, what you need is a receiver for the shaft that is slightly larger than its diameter. Press the shaft of the motor into that receiver (using a drill press ideally) after removing all set screws and collars and any e-clips that may be there. OTOH lots of guys just go ahead and replace all the bearings when replacing a shaft since they're cheap vs. starting up your newly rebuilt motor and hearing horrible noises come out. Just remember when pressing a bearing on or off to NOT let the balls and races take the pressure, only the center cone.
I understand what you are saying, but the chances of having a "receiver" exactly suited to clearing the shaft, and then pressing only on the inner race/cone are fairly slim. In my experience, shafts are only an interference fit within bearings, so the amount of pressure required to free the inner race from the shaft is not sufficiently excessive to tear the bearing apart.