Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pattern Universe - RC Pattern Flying > RC Pattern Flying
Reload this Page >

2013 Bakersfield 2nd Annual Pattern Bash

Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

2013 Bakersfield 2nd Annual Pattern Bash

Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 Bakersfield 2nd Annual Pattern Bash

Wow it seems like just yesterday we were Flying Pattern and racing Gee Bee’s at the first annual Bear Mountain Pattern Bash. Well that time is rapidly approaching again and even though there hasn’t been much said yet I assure you guys this year we are going to blow you away.

First of all we decided to turn it into a 3 day event in order to be able to get a ton of flying in for everyone. The next thing that we have added is going to be some free seminars, having to do with both trimming (Bryan Herbert) and judging (Gordon Anderson/Brock Vaugn). I know the second one is normally not something to get excited about but trust me when you see the system we are going to be using you will be amazed.

Just imagine turning around after your flight to thank the judges and your tear sheets will be ready for you to pick up. Not to mention you will have already been emailed your scores as well. Pretty cool huh, and that’s not the cool part yet.

Sponsors, yep that’s right last year was great, but this year is going to be better. Of course we will have Zap, APC, Tru-Turn, and Smart Fly, just like last year, and joining them new for 2013 will be Castle, Hobby King, YS, Dura Fly, and hopefully a few more.

I have already spoken with our good buddy John Bruml and he said this year’s shirts are going to be better yet, so just like before you will need to get your order in early. I think we will incorporate a shirt size on the preregistration form so that way everything can be takin care of at one time. Speaking of good buddies the Caglia’s are going to do the Friday night dinner at the field just like last year and Kyle Dahl has offered to do another demo or two for us to enjoy during lunch the lunch break sat. and sun.

Of course we will be flying Old School Masters just like we did last year except this year we are to divide the event up based on K-Factor. That way we will be able to get more guys involved without messing with the spirit of the event. Basically we are going to have two classes of running together. The first will be for a pattern that has a K-Factor of 38 and lower, and then for the more experienced guys there patterns will add up to 45. Everyone still has to pick there maneuvers and get them to us no later then 10am on Friday. The current AMA Masters Class as well as Old School will be kicking things off at noon on Fri. and each class will fly two rounds.

The field will be open from 7am until 1130am for anyone that want to get some practice in before Masters flies and then will re-open as soon as the last pilot lands. I am thinking that will be around 3PM. During that block of time is when the seminars will be going on and I highly suggest taking advantage of them.

Of course the field will be open all day Thursday as well as the weekend prior for anyone who wants to come up and practice on site. Normally Sat. and Wed. are the two days a week the pattern guys fly the most and the number of pattern planes at the field will be anywhere from 5 to 15 depending on the time of year.

If we have time on Sunday I want to run a Turkey shoot for the top 3 guys in FAI, Master’s, and Advanced. Of course this will be a handicapped event, and I promise the 1st place FAI pilot will not have any advantage the field. It should be a good time and fun for all. If we have time!

The Gee Bee racing was fun but too expensive and too hard to repair, so this year we will be switching to the HK funfighter Bearcat. I know a few of you guys have seen them go already but for those of you that have not I will be posting a link to some video you won’t believe. They fly like a real plane and not to mention they are incredibly tough as well as only costing $84.00. That is complete with rec. 4 cell lipo, esc, servos , motor, and 3 props. How can you go wrong?

Ok I have briefly touched on most of the main topics, please feel free to ask any Q’s that you might have, and then keep checking back for more details in the next few days
I hope to see you all here the last weekend of April. This year were shooting for 50 – 60 pilots and from the confirmations I have received so far I am pretty sure we can do it. I believe there’s only one person I know of that was hear last year but won’t be able to attend this year, however there’s at least 10 new guys coming.
More Later
C
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2013 Bakersfield 2nd Annual Pattern Bash

Hey Chip
For those Masters pilots that can not , make the first 2 rounds on Friday, does that mean,that we will only be scored for the last 4 rounds correct?.
because I will be there Friday, but not until 5:00 pm.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48 AM
pvogel

Will Sportsman and Intermediate classes get to fly the full pattern?

Peter+
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Is this the Funfighter Bearcat?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 03-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: Derek.Koopowitz

No this is it, its a total package. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tion_PNF_.html

Jarvis really your gonna be the one. lol No in all seriousness Masters is such a big class I am afraid to try and get 3 rounds a day on sat and sunday or we will be there until dark. You have a couple months notice maybe you can call in sick. Just a thought. I know its not easy to take off work especially in this day and age, but see what you can do. I will see you in Hemet and we can talk some more.

I also forgot to mention all classes will fly the full length pattern this year, thanks for reminding me Peter.

Chip
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM
pvogel

ORIGINAL: Passport1

ORIGINAL: Derek.Koopowitz

No this is it, its a total package. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tion_PNF_.html

Jarvis really your gonna be the one. lol No in all seriousness Masters is such a big class I am afraid to try and get 3 rounds a day on sat and sunday or we will be there until dark. You have a couple months notice maybe you can call in sick. Just a thought. I know its not easy to take off work especially in this day and age, but see what you can do. I will see you in Hemet and we can talk some more.

I also forgot to mention all classes will fly the full length pattern this year, thanks for reminding me Peter.

Chip

Whew! $41 shipping for the rarebear? That kicks the cost up by 50%! Any chance you plan on selling some of these at the contest or something so we're not eaten alive by shipping costs, or are there some on their way to the US warehouse? In general I won't buy anything from Hobbyking except the occasional battery but for fun at Arvin, I can contribute a little to the Chinese economy.

Peter+
Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 AM
Passport1

Ok a lot has happened since my last post and its all pretty exciting stuff. First of all we now have a host Hotel and it is the Hampton Inn. I had a meeting today with Raquel who is the marketing Director and she has set us up with a great package for not just the Pattern contest in April, but the IMAC Contest as well as the District Champs. The rooms are imaculant, breakfast from 6-10, enclosed parking, and its on the same road as the field less then 20 minutes away. Unfortunately, we were only able to get 25 rooms this time but in the future we will have as many as needed. Please follow the link I am going to be posting tomorrow and don't wait to long or you will be staying elsewhere. Normally the rooms go for $119.00 a night but that will be brought down to $89.00 if you mention Bear Mountain Flyers or the Pattern Bash.

As most of you are aware Masters seems to be the largest class at most events. Its not uncommon to have between 6-10 guys at even the smallests local contest, but so far by my count we are looking at 16-18 maybe even 20 guys and thats just off the top of my head. Anyhow I think we have found a really good solution and so far all the pilots I have spoken with are really excited to try this out. We are going to give all the Masters pilots the option when signing up to choose which class they want to be in. Basically we have added Expert back into the mix but in name only. Expert pilots will fly the Masters as they normally would however they can compete against guys that are a little less serious and have a great time fighting it out amongst themselve for some of the beautiful hardware we hand out when its over.

There is no points system or magic number this year to determine who flies which class, but if this works out I am sure we will come up with something. BTW I would like to let eveyone know that Jon Carter is joining me this year and we are CD'ing this together. Leon will be back next year in that role, but we decided some things are more importantant and thats just where I am going to leave it. Anyhow here is a list of who will not need to worry about choosing one or the other they will fly in Masters.

Chris F.
Sean Mersh
Jerry Budd
Matt Stringer
Kirt Campbel
lJon Carter
Bryant Mac
Jeff Carder
Leon Robison
Kyle Dahl
Richard V.

The following are just a few I have signed up for Expert. Already its shaping up to be one heck of a class.

Jarvis johnson
Bill Wallace
Steve K.
Jim Oddino
Lynn Burkes
Frank Capone
Robert Green
Dale O.
Undecided

Also by running the event this way Masters and Expert can judge each other without putting the entire load on the FAI guys. I really feel this is a win, win situation all the way around.

This year we have decided to go back to the way it used to be and strongly recommend for everyone to pre-register. Not only will it save you $20.00 but we will refund it if for some reason you can't make it provided you notify us not later than thurs. April 25th. Pregistration will be open from March 20th until Sat April 20th. The reason being is that we want to have eveything ready for you guys when you arrive. Flight order,Which Flight Line you will start off on, Time of Day you can expect to fly, Judging Assignments, Your Names entered in the MPPS Scoring Program by Class as well as in the Judges Column, Pilots Packets prepared to include your 2013 Shirt and goodie bag, how many we need to plan on having for the Fri. night dinner at the field. Etc.

The entry fee is going to be $60.00 for AMA and $40.00 for Old School. However if you are planning on flying 2 classes you can elect to just recieve one pilot package and pay $85.00 for both. Lunches will be like last year, pizza friday, Taco Plate Sat. and Chicken Plate Sunday.

We will not have much of a break during lunch however we will make time for Kyle to do his thing, as well as some type of speed demo.

This just about covers everything, except the Bearcat Racing. Peter, I am sorry the shipping cost more from overseas locations to here, I think it has something to do with the distance, but don't hold me to that. Basically its another $20.00 or there about which is definitely a bummer, however when factored in to what you really get its still an awesome price. I know they are sending (or have sent) a container with the bearcats to the US warehouse but I do not have an expected deliverey date as of yet.

Please chime in with any Q's you might have and keep checking back for more updates.

Mre Later

C

Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 AM
jarvis johnson
My Feedback: (15)

Cool Chip,
I'm down with that, could you PM me Matt or Paul Stringer, phone number. I need to talk with them about their NSRCA membership. I have been in contact with Jon Carter.

Thanks
Jarvis
Old 03-15-2013, 07:55 AM
SanJoseDale

Chip, Frank Capone will be coming with us, so that another Masters/Expert.

On the Rarebears,  don't mind the shipping, but there appears to be no stock at all. We went to order some (for all the Norcal boyz) but there are none. Also don't know now if they would arrive in time for contest. If there are some coming to US,  please let us know?

Dale
Old 03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
protectedpilot

Chip, do you have a map to the field? And some hotel information? I'm trying to book for myself and Hebert....

Brian Clemmons
Old 03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Silent-AV8R

The field is south of Bakersfield near Arvin, CA

Here are the lat/long: 35.195°, -118.91°

Club website: http://bearmountainflyers.net/directions

Most hotels are to the north in Bakersfield.

THis is the hotel Chip mentioned:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...PHX/index.html

It is about the closest and is a straight shot south to the field.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

The field is south of Bakersfield near Arvin, CA

Here are the lat/long: 35.195°, -118.91°

Club website: http://bearmountainflyers.net/directions

Most hotels are to the north in Bakersfield.

THis is the hotel Chip mentioned:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...PHX/index.html

It is about the closest and is a straight shot south to the field.
Thanks Bill and the number for the Hampton is 661 321 9424
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
pvogel

For folk who called the Hampton to find out they are "sold out" I booked them on Hotels.com successfully for an average nightly price slightly higher than Chip's price but still way better than $119 $98.

Peter+
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM
SanJoseDale

Chip, just heard from customer service at Hobby King, the Rarebears won't be restocked for at least 3 weeks, at the international warehouse only. No way they will arrive here in time.

Should we break out the Gee Bees again?

Dale
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 PM
JSchoolcraft

FYI - Just got this email Dale: You have added Rarebear - EPO 620mm (PNP) incl. High-Spec (3s~4s) ESC (USA Warehouse) to your watch list inwww.hobbyking.comand this is an email to let you know that we have received a shipment just now!

Only 34 items in stock, be quick![/b]

Click below to view this item;
Rarebear - EPO 620mm (PNP) incl. High-Spec (3s~4s) ESC (USA Warehouse)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
JSchoolcraft

I know thats not the racer package, but might get you going quick and cheap!!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: pvogel

For folk who called the Hampton to find out they are ''sold out'' I booked them on Hotels.com successfully for an average nightly price slightly higher than Chip's price but still way better than $119 $98.

Peter+
I am not sure who Peter talked to but I just got off the phone with our hostess and she assured me rooms are still avail. She was also able to get a few more rooms seeing as how they were going fast as well as open up thurs. with the good rate.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:47 PM
Passport1

It was brought to my attention that we have sort of strayed away from what this contest was started for and that is getting new people into pattern. So after talking with a few people here is what we are going to offer. The sportsman class without the turnarounds, the Vertical upline, and cobra V. We will call it novice for now and we already have 3 people signed up and one is a junior. Here is a copy of the pattern as they will fly it.

As for the bearcats I have a call into Hobby King to find out exactly whats going on and will let you know shortly. We will race something affordable that everyone can get I promise its just to much fun. BTW John Reid from Model Airplane News just called and he will be there to cover the entire event all three days. It just keeps getting better.

Chip
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Us53337.pdf (36.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM
flyncajun

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chip ,we called last week and was told theywere all sold out as well
we booked at another hotel

Bryan
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 AM
Passport1

Ok I have the solution to the bearcat availability. We will just open it up to any of the fun fighter series. That way there are several models to choose from. I spoke to some guys in the UK that have been racing all of them and they are remarkably similar in speed and flying characteristics. Here are the link to them on the web site and go with the 3 cell battery.

Turnigy nano-tech 850mAh 3S 45~90C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse)

Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 AM
Yak13
My Feedback: (17)

Hey guys

Any official info sheet on this event? I read through and still not sure of the exact dates. Engine/airframe restrictions?
Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like fun. Since we can get these from the US warehouse I'm in. Bought an el cheapo hobbyking 2.4Ghz rx for it as well. I elected to go with something other than the bearcat.

So, what are the rules for this mini event?
Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Date?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:54 PM
woodie

I believe it is April 26-28 (3 days)

Woodie
Old 03-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: shannah

Sounds like fun. Since we can get these from the US warehouse I'm in. Bought an el cheapo hobbyking 2.4Ghz rx for it as well. I elected to go with something other than the bearcat.

So, what are the rules for this mini event?
The simple rules are as follows.

1. Flying Start
2. 3 cell 45-90c battery
3. 5 laps
4. 2 pylon course
5. Any Funfighter

Steve you will be amazed at the way these things fly. BTW can you make it up next Friday for a dry run through the scoring. I think Jerry will be back again and I can probably get the Kimbros to come down. We have the FAI class in it now as well. Gordon has simplified the layout and made more it even more user friendly.
FAI is shaping up to be a really good contest. Not the numbers of masters but not to shabby

Jim Kimbro
Matt Kimbro
Steve Hannah
Mike Caglia
Derek
Gordon Anderson
Bryan Herbert
Chip Hyde
AC Glenn
Jeff Phifer
Jacob B
Don Atwood ??????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.