Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official E-FIRESTORM thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official E-FIRESTORM thread

I'm out of the loop on hop ups but i know HPI had some nice units for all of those parts...

the lug
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
Crosshair

Well, my plans were thwarted by some overtime at work. Did get the diff torn down and cleaned out. Found suitable o-rings and got a good setup with 1K oil. Blue loctite on the screws. Seems to be sealing pretty well. Gonne let it sit over night, and if it still holds, I'll put it in the storm tomorrow for the inaugurel run.

From tearing down the storm, I've found that I have many more parts that I need to replace due to normal wear and tear. But nothing major. Drive cups, cracked shock tower, etc etc. Also could do with a new body... Trying to find a complete roller for cheap. Would make my life much easier.

Lug, STRC makes some good parts, and they're stronger than the Integy crap. HPI does make several of their own hop ups, but they're uber expensive. $50 for rear camber blocks, where as STRC's are $25-30 depending on where you get them from.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:33 AM
Crosshair

So, I've ran into a problem. I was trying the leaky diff fix I read about here. I assembled it all back together, and used Ofna 5K oil that I had lying around. My diff feels excrutiatingly tight now. I'm almost afriad to put it back in.

Suggestions?
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
nitro-rob

The shock covers are from an ebay seller.  They are just sewn spandax.   I would guess that you have something not fitting right in there but I haven't had that differential apart in a while to remember any fine details where it may not go together right.  Did you manually turn the differential a bit to allow it to seat?  I try to do this as I tighten to see what point it binds at and also allow it to seat gradually.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
rclugnut10

agreeing with rob here, you could've over tightened it and are causing the gears to bind, i actually cracked a gear in my savage by doing this, and those diff's are the same layout just bigger.

the lug
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
>moto<

Well, its been a mad few months for me and I've been overseas whilst my brand new Strom has been sat in here in Aus doing nothing! Had my first play with it this week and love the thing.
I had to swap the motor wires because forward/reverse were switched and Icouldn'tfigureout how to change it on the Tx. My initial impression is summed up as follows:
    [*]Build quality and kit componentry seems to be excellent.[/list]
      [*]Very well made and well put together....just as well because the instructions are woefully translated![/list]
        [*]I haven't even tried the car with the stock battery yet, I just keep slapping the 3s LiPo in as it's so much fun, it certainly does rip! More 3s batteries will be ordered[/list]
          [*]Not sure how fast its going but I believe the 50Mph claim. If you can keep the front down it'sloadsof fun, it destroys this guys Nitro in a straight line.[/list]
            [*]The tie rod ends seem week. I have a couple of low speed taps into trees and my car tyre and its popped one or both ends off. I'd rather it do that than break something else but I have been surprised at how easy it happens.[/list]
              [*]The aerial protector went missing after the first high speed tumble.....along with the top inch or so of the Rx aerial.[/list]
                [*]I need a wheelie bar! I can just about hold it flat out with a long run up and the battery right forward.[/list]
                  [*]I'm gonna need some spares, some road tyres and some bling now[/list]Are there upgrade parts available to reduce the steering slop? I seem to remember reading something a few months back but am not keen on reading 412 pages again to refresh my memory! Laslty, my servo makes a funny sound when turning, like its slipping and struggling to turn the wheels. Looking at it broefly there is nothing impeding it's movement, anything else obvious I should check? I'd prefer not to have to pull it apart in my first few dys of driving it but if thats what it takes to fix it........

PS: Thanks for the replies Rob, think I'll stick with stock for now and look at some wheel/road tyre combo's. Road Rage II's would be nice on some new 2.2's. I'll get some extra weight for the front too.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:46 PM
>moto<

Okay, in myexcitementI've just ordered a few goodies for the Storm:
T-Bone Racing Thrasher FrontBumper(26012-C102)
T-Bone Racing NM Rear Bumper (F317-TBR)
T-Bone racing Wheelie Bar with optional solid 1-1/4" wheels (26044)
Platinum RC Products Carbon Fibre Battery Tie Down (PRC175)
Platinum RC Products Carbon Fibre Front Brace (PRC176)
Platinum RC Products Carbon Fibre Servo Brace (PRC177)
HPI Scorch Gunmetal Wheels x 4 (LXPZC9)
Proline Road Rage II 2.2 Tires x 4 (LXLN12)
Proline 2.2 Two Stage Pre-glued Foam Inserts (LXDX19)
Duratrax Pit Tech Tire Glue 0.5Oz (LXFHY1)
RPM Front A-Arms (L5ZGS902)
ST Racing Concepts Orange Alloy Castor Blocks - Front Only (LXCTFN) - Hopefully the extra weight up front might add to keeping the front down!
HPI Racing Ball End Set -12 (LXPZA7)
ST Racing Concepts Orange Alloy Turnbuckle Set F/R (LXCTJH)
Also picked up a B6AC Pro charger today - it looks the goods!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM
nitro-rob

Moto - your message made me laugh. I am almost certain the manual was written by an HPI employee in California so there was no need for translation.  My guess is that the author just didn't have great writing skills.  Check your servo saver, they get loose easily and need loctite to keep tight.  The road rage are good street tires and lowering the vehicle helps with handling and reducing wind wheelies at high speed.  Thats a good chunk of hopups, you should have fun with them.

The rod ends are pretty good.  I've swapped them out a few times because they bend but I've never broken one - even the weaker white blitz ones.

I just got back from five hours of straight practice on an indoor clay track.  Good times...
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
rclugnut10

It sounds like the servo is stripped if it's not the servo saver, can you hear the servo motor free spinning before it catches? If not now it may worsen down the road, i'm not sure what the storms are spec'd with for a servo these days but last i knew it was basically a futaba s3003, which i've found doesn't cut it. I currently have a cheapie metal gear servo that turns pretty quick and hasn't died yet, I know tower sells one for $30 (i believe the unit i have ran $15 or so from hobbyking or hobbypartz) thats the TS-140 or CS-140 (they're the same units) and i have on in my evader and it's been pretty solid. I'd recomend upgrading to one of those even if your gears aren't stripped if you're going to be running on the street just because of the amount of grip that pavement gives you.

the lug
Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 PM
>moto<

Cheers for the info guys, I'll have a detailed look at the servo and probably strip it down. I was thinking of getting a faster servo anyway so I can get even more outta control when panic steering lol! It does sound like its slipping a little and it seems the servo struggles half way through turning when stationary. It does get there but something isn't right.
So the manual was 'written' by an American huh? Well there you go, most Chinese people I come across have more functional writing abilities, there are whole sentences that literally make no sense, if it wasn't for the pictures you wouldn't even bother with it
Took the storm for a burn today and the carnage continues, down to my last body clip now and then at about 35mph the rear wheel just fell off! :-O It continued about 75 metres down the road too. Needless to say the hex has gone along with the nyloc nut. I have some Traxxas hexes now with grub screws to lock it in place.....hopefully they fit.
Its all go!
Old 03-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Crosshair

I finally got a chance to take my storm out tonight. I believe the 6k I put in the diff is a little too heavy for it. Might try 2k instead. I loosed the nuts up as suggested, didn't notice any effect. I then stripped it all back down and removed 2 of the .020 shims, so now there is only 1 behind each of the larger gears and it loosened up noticeably without much play.

Also, I'll be needing tires. I couldn't get hardly any grip with these old, dry Anacondas. Goin for some JConcepts G-Locs. They look great, and are pretty cheap. As well as Pro-Line Desperado's. I love the way 2.8'' wheels look on this truck.

Let me just say, that when I rolled the throttle, and really got it to speed, this thing FLEW. Just took off, when it wasn't spinning tires, I mean. I can't wait to put it through 3s when I get some time later today.

As for mods, I'm going for SRTC alum shocks (all the pieces) in an Orange and Gun Metal color scheme, 2.8 Desperados and G-Loc Tires as I mentioned, Extreme RC carbon fiber front shock tower, Integy motor guard, Blitz spur gear conversion, Aluminum front A-arms from EverythingRC off ebay, (the look identical to the stock ones, and I want the front end weight), and finally, a DSX-1 body.

All that will be done in stages, but first is the wheels and tires which I'll have to order Friday. Everything else is subject to my bank account.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
>moto<

Crosshair - I haven't been around RC cars for quite a few years, but my mate having a nitro made me decide to get something, after some research I ended up with the storm.

I haven't tried the stock battery but on 3S this truck does seriously rip! I was most impressed, and that's with stock everything. With some suspension tweaks to lower it and some road tyres it will be even better.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Crosshair

So...Tried 3s...

and now HAVE to replace the whole front end, as well as the rear shock tower and body posts...Total carnage.

Cartwheeled into a street light.. Can't seem to keep the front end on the ground on 3s. Major issue. Even mid throttle (when I made it that far), it still wanted to flip on it's lid. I've deff destroyed this body. As well as took about an inch off my antenna.

Moral of the story: 3s = bad.

EDIT:For my next magic trick...I will now place a $128.97 order from Amain for repair parts, as well as the mentioned maintenance parts...So much for tires anytime soon...
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM
>moto<

Sorry but hahahahahahaha!!!!!!

My body is destroyed too and the arial has been ripped off at body height. Body pins go missing every time its upside down mad the posts have worn right down. Man it's fun though!

I can get mine upto full speed after the edge is off the batteries power. Yesterday it was wheel spinning at about 35mph in the rain lol!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 AM
nitro-rob

Sorry to hear about the crashes.  The truck can be a handful on 3s for sure.  I am going to rebuild my transmission tonight so I can test this thing out on 4s with street tires (and weight on the front).  I will probably go over the entire rear end while I am at it since its been about 50 packs since the truck was build new in 2010.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Crosshair

So....This is my super cheap wheelie bar..which ultimately led to the crash. Very unstable. Also displayed is some 2.2 carnage of 3s. Enjoy.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
nitro-rob

Foam is supposed to go in the tires, man.
Mine had a cracked differential case when I took it apart tonight.  The outdrives were shot as well.  All is cleaned up and I have a diff case coming from ebay.  
Old 03-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Crosshair

I will have to add a chassis to my list...Stripped everything down tonight in prep for my parts which should be here monday, and the front lip of the base chassis has an entire corner cracked off. That, and I'm working on an aluminum plate chassis out of boredom.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 PM
>moto<

I just had to replace the servo today, the servo saver didn't do its thing I guess, though the servo seemed off anyway so no bad thing. Still waiting on all my goodies to turn up from the US.

Couldnt help myself and ordered a Integy Nano Tech 3S 4400mah 65c lipo today. Worse still I saw a Traxxas X01 today in the local shop and was told it does 100mph out the box with an iPhone app.......now I want one! Lord knows where I'd go to test out those speeds.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Crosshair

A runway would be your best bet lol. I hear they get up to speed uber quick, though. I can't imagine 1200+ for a road car though. For that price, I better be getting a Baja gaser.

I've given up on the aluminum chassis thing. Decided I don't need it, and the weight would be counter productive. So, just buying the G-10 one from Xtreme. Looks sweet.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Enzyme80

So I got the go ahead from my wife to buy new batteries and a new charger. I am pretty sure I am going to stay with the same lipos but I think I will get a different charger. It seemed to be a decent charger but I did not like that I had to choose lipo each time I charged my battery. I don't know what to get though. Any thoughts on a charger?

Also - looking at some of the different parts that are out now. Anyone try any of them - what has worked and what hasn't?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM
nitro-rob

I use a hitec X4 but its just 4x B6 chargers.  I would just get a regular B6 charger there are a ton of clones out there. I have a turnigy B6 that has worked since I started in electric, its been great.  I would avoid the imax.  Get one with a fan for sure.

Xtreme chassis are very pretty. Post some pics when it comes in.

Which servo did you get for your storm?  The stock one is pretty minimal but you don't need much for the storm.  
Old 03-22-2013, 03:09 PM
wanna_be_racer

Heyya mates. Been a while. Just stopping by to see what's up
Old 03-22-2013, 06:21 PM
Enzyme80

For the servo i use the Hitech 925 MG. it is crazy fast and pretty strong. It is probably more than the firestorm needs but it works great.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:27 PM
nitro-rob

Hey wannabe, what are you RCing with these days?

Whatever happened to redfisher74?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.