Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Orange Spektrum Receiver W/Remote

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Orange Spektrum Receiver W/Remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:46 PM
guitardude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange Spektrum Receiver W/Remote

OK, so I picked up a couple of the Orange RX (receivers), they only have one antenna lead coming from them, however they h"ave the auxilary plug for a "remote receiver". However I'm not sure if this receiver and remote can be used on a NITRO Powered aircraft or am I limited to using it on only electric aircraft?

Here's what "you know who" says about the receiver: www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11965__OrangeRx_R610_Spektrum_DSM2_6Ch_2_4Ghz_Re ceiver_w_Sat_Port_.html

OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver (w/ Sat Port)

Compatible with all Spektrum DSM2 Air transmitters.

Orangeointer">Rx receivers are built using original components and MCU's and with state of the art SMT automation to ensure a quality product each and every time.
All Orangeointer">Rx receivers are QC tested before leaving the factory.
The Orangeointer">Rx will work with ANY Aircraft Spektrum DSM2 2.4Ghz transmitter
The Orangeointer">Rx 6ch is only 3.7g in weight and 19.5x30x10mm in size. Great for small planes, heli's, ointer">parkflyers or even medium sized sport planes.

Key features.
Super light weight 3.7g / 9.8 grams with case.
Compatible with DSM2 1024/2048aircraft radio and module systems.
6 Channels.
Compact design 19.5mm x 30mm x 10mm, with case 43x22x13mm.
Short 29mm antennas for mounting in almost any location.
Input voltage: 3.7~9.6V.

Satellite port included.
(Increased redundancy and link strength)
Two CYP chips used. Making it a true outdoor receiver system.

Warranty.
12 Monthreplacement guarantee!

Included.
Orangeointer">Rx R610DSM2 Compatible receiver

I just recently purchased a DX7 and am dying to try out both the "Spektrum" and "Orange" receivers.

Any information is GREATLY apprectiated.

THANKS!
David
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Orange Spektrum Receiver W/Remote

Here's a question: What are "original components"?

Orangeointer">Rx receivers are built using original components and MCU's and with state of the art SMT automation to ensure a quality product each and every time.

And here is a warning in disquise:

Great for small planes, heli's, ointer">parkflyers or even medium sized sport planes.

So if you use it in a proformance model, they can say, " We said even MEDIUM sized sport planes. "
And they are going to include the Rx.

Included.
Orangeointer">Rx R610DSM2 Compatible receiver

Would I use this Rx in a valued plane, No. Try to save a few dollars and end up wasting a couple of hundered on a plane.

Use with caution.

Frank

Old 03-22-2013, 03:45 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know some guys that have used these successfully for several years in 40 size and under planes. One guy I know has wrung his out to the max and it has done the job. I do agree with countilaw to some extent though - it is really somewhat of a risk. Yet when you think about it, a battery is a risk I have some Orange receivers and I would probably use those on some small planes and no way would I use them on my large gas planes.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lots of these used at our club. While most are on electric models, several are on the larger glow powered planes and all have been very reliable. No range problems at all. Now most of these (all the glow powered ones) are using the satellites. Note: the satellites do not increase range but do prevent shadowing and polarization from effecting the receivers.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 AM
Villa

Can someone explain to me what the Remote in "Receiver W/Remote" refers to? I have been flying R/C since 1972 so I do have some understanding of R/C.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Villa

Can someone explain to me what the Remote in ''Receiver W/Remote'' refers to? I have been flying R/C since 1972 so I do have some understanding of R/C.
I think he means a receiver with a satellite receiver attached.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:29 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Lots of these used at our club. While most are on electric models, several are on the larger glow powered planes and all have been very reliable. No range problems at all. Now most of these (all the glow powered ones) are using the satellites. Note: the satellites do not increase range but do prevent shadowing and polarization from effecting the receivers.
I read on some forum a while back that guys are running the larger Orange receivers on gassers. I might hesitate slightly in that area as I don't have an unlimited supply of dollars and do have a bit more trust in the higher end receivers. I am not sure, it all depends on how confident we are in what we use.

I remember a story once about a man that was out on a frozen lake on his knees because he was afraid the ice was cracking and he was going to fall in. He had only gotten a short ways on the lake when he heard this loud rumble in the distance and he looked up and saw an old man pulling a wagon with a team of horses accross the lake
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 AM
guitardude

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses, however I believe that I should have clarified that I'd ONLY be trying the Orange receiver with the Satalite (sorry I didn't mean remote) on a 60 size aircraft at the the most. I'll probably try it in my 40 size SIG Four-Star-Forty first.

Thanks again for the answers and expertise.

David
Old 03-24-2013, 03:01 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Its equal to the 6 channel RX from Spektrum. I wouldnt use it in a plane that has a lot of vibrations, but anything up to say a 90 size warbird, or even a 4*120 would be fine. It has about the same range as the one that comes with the DX6i.

But as others have said, if you got some bucks in the plane, dont skimp on anything, a $400 total cost plane, sure, but $1000+ plane, not worth the $60 difference.  I have a couple of them, but I havent got to the plane yet that I will put them in. Might put one in  a Funtana 90 if I ever get around to buying the batteries for it.  I may try one out in a Eflite T34 I have, if I ever need the RX out of it for another plane.  I was going to use one in a Twin Otter but needed an extra channel that I couldn get from the Orange for the rudder nose gear mix and flaps. I have an 8 channel in that one.   I now have more RX than planes, I was given a few from a friend and had already purchased 2 Orange and 1 frsky(sp?) for my Futaba.  I even have an extra radio, so now to decide which I like better, the DX8 or the JR 12X  The beauty is, the orange will work with both.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 AM
bikerbc

I find that when I am flying my plane if there is anything that is substandard I worry about it and I don't enjoy the flight as much , I am just in a hurry to land so if flying an orange receiver I would not be having as much fun because I don't trust them . I would sooner pay they extra few dollars and know I had done everything possible to insure the safety of my flight.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM
opjose

guitardude

Here is a non-speculative post from actual experience and testing...

They work great. I've used dozens of those and have tested the entire Orange receiver product range many times over.

I've tested the 610's out to well over 2200 feet without the satellite and further with. You can find other confirmations of this on the web.

I've flown them on everything from 50cc and larger gassers down to small foamies. No "vibration issues", as all of the electronic components are SMD's.

"Medium" size is mentioned because the antenna is not set up for Carbon Fiber obstructions, etc. nor for a larger number of channels. However these are "full range" receivers.

I had problems with the original 600 series, but the 610's fixed the minor issues. None of the other channel count Orange receivers have ever exhibited any problems.

They need the same voltage levels as the Spektrum/JR's, so pay attention properly powering your servos and electronics.

While you DO NOT need the sateliite receiver I would recommend it for planes larger than .90 size or where you may have a bunch of wires running somewhat close to the RX.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 AM
600Bob

There is one 6 ch Orange RX like the one in the OP description that would be considered a park flyer range.  They have a new 6ch that says it is full range.  I have different types of the Orange RX in glow and gas powered airplanes.  I generally use them in planes I bought used, the largest is a 77" WS biplane with a 26cc gas engine.  I use Spektrum in my bigger ARFs that I have more $$$ into.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: 600Bob

There is one 6 ch Orange RX like the one in the OP description that would be considered a park flyer range.
I don't know which one that would be as, even this one with the single antenna tests out to a 2000 foot range.

Even the "Parkflyer" 4 channel RX does likewise.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
600Bob

Well the one in the OP says "Great for small planes, heli's,parkflyers or even medium sized sport planes." And nowhere do they describe it as "full range". It has the same short antenna lead as the Spektrum park flyer models. That being said I have one in a sport plane with a 17cc gas engine.

Now the Orange R620 is described by HK as being "full range" and also says "
Great for medium/small planes & helis, right up to large scale models." It has the same long antenna lead that Spektrum uses on their full range RX. Yes the AR6200 (IIRC, which I have one) is full range with short antenna leads.

Just going by comparing the Hobby King descriptions.

ORIGINAL: opjose

There is one 6 ch Orange RX like the one in the OPdescription that would be considered a park flyer range.
I don't know which one that would be as, even this one with the single antenna tests out to a 2000 foot range.

Even the "Parkflyer" 4 channel RX does likewise.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM
acerc

All that I can add is there is no way I am going to put a $30Rx, versus my usual $80-$140 Rx,  in any of my $1500+++ airframes. There have been too many people here on RCU as well as RCG's that have had issues with them. Even on HK's website under the Rx page is a responce area with well over half saying they are junk. Just not worth the risk.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: acerc

All that I can add is there is no way I am going to put a $30Rx, versus my usual $80-$140 Rx, in any of my $1500+++ airframes.
I have several on my $1500.00+ planes thank you.

No matter what the product is, there are always those without direct experience who respond in kind.

The same was once said of DLE engines, Saito motors, etc. Empirical evidence contradicts the baseless speculation, and the products become mainstream.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
600Bob

I don't know what brand you use but I'm sure there are many people who would say they would never use Spektrum brand RX (like I use in some of my planes) in their $1500+ planes either.
ORIGINAL: acerc

All that I can add is there is no way I am going to put a $30Rx, versus my usual $80-$140Rx, in any of my $1500+++ airframes. There have been too many people here on RCU as well as RCG's that have had issues with them. Even on HK's website under the Rx page is a responce area with well over half saying they are junk. Just not worth the risk.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
opjose

Well the one in the OP says "Great for small planes, heli's, parkflyers or even medium sized sport planes." And nowhere do they describe it as "full range". It has the same short antenna lead as the Spektrum park flyer models. That being said I have one in a sport plane with a 17cc gas engine.
Yeah, they are targeting the 615 & the 620 to larger planes.

Both of the latter those work very well.

The reason I posted was I thought there was an RX marketed as having a shorter range but now I cannot remember which one it was/is.

I don't think it was the original r600 but I may be wrong.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: guitardude

...I should have clarified that I'd ONLY be trying the ...
David

David,

You don't have to justify your plan.

Kurt
Old 03-31-2013, 04:06 PM
tlojak38

hey, fly with what you want. i have 3 orange rx. the r610, r620 and r710, and all have satellites. i have never had an issue with any of them. what i can tell you is ive had issues with the spektrum ar7000. two brownouts and one destroyed plane. the newest r620 as well as the r710 are considered full range, and both have fail safe. two are in 60 size, and operate fine. i wouldnt be afraid to put them in anything id put an ar7000 in. everyone has their own experience and opinion, this is mine, and im sure you will hear more. whatever you hear, do your own research and come to your own conclusions. good luck and happy flying!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:55 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Add me to the list of satisfied Orange 610 receiver flyers. I've been flying them for the past couple of years, mostly in electric foamies, but also in some glow planes such as a Goldberg Eagle 2, a piped .36 powered SPAD combat plane, a .40 powered flying wing, and a piped .46 powered Diamond Dust. I now have 22 of the Orange 610 receivers. None have satellites, and haven't felt a need for them, even in the glow planes.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 PM
tlojak38

I put satellites in mine because id rather over kill than just be good, its my sickness! Lol. Even at that the cost is still a fraction of a spektrum. And with their track record with me, I doubt ill ever go back to them. Im kind of weird in the sense that I dont believe the most expensive is always he best quality, but maybe the best maketing. I do a lot of research first, then get what I believe is the most reliable, and cost effective. I dont even rememberhow I stumbled on to the orange rx, but I do remember reading a whole lot of information before buying and testing the crap out of one.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

Add me to the list of satisfied Orange 610 receiver flyers. I've been flying them for the past couple of years, mostly in electric foamies, but also in some glow planes such as a Goldberg Eagle 2, a piped .36 powered SPAD combat plane, a .40 powered flying wing, and a piped .46 powered Diamond Dust. I now have 22 of the Orange 610 receivers. None have satellites, and haven't felt a need for them, even in the glow planes.
Wow...22! Funny how sometimes it is not always the expensive that can work. We have been so accustomed to buying the "name" and always thinking that is the quality aspect. I am a tad reluctant to run an Orange receiver in my high end stuff, yet once I run them in my smaller planes and verify operation, I would have no problem at that point. I have watched one guy fly them in everything and he has not had a glitch in three years.

We had an old saying coming up "The proof is in the pudding" and we knew that if it stood the work-a-day test it was good.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

Wow...22! Funny how sometimes it is not always the expensive that can work. We have been so accustomed to buying the ''name'' and always thinking that is the quality aspect. I am a tad reluctant to run an Orange receiver in my high end stuff, yet once I run them in my smaller planes and verify operation, I would have no problem at that point. I have watched one guy fly them in everything and he has not had a glitch in three years.

We had an old saying coming up ''The proof is in the pudding'' and we knew that if it stood the work-a-day test it was good.
At one time I had 8 genuine Spektrum 6110E receivers. But after experiencing 6 unexplained lockouts in electric planes with the 6110E receivers, they were replaced with Orange 610 receivers. During the past 2 years of flying the Orange 610 receivers, I had one unexplained lockout in an electric plane. I have never had, witnessed, or heard of an Orange 610 receiver having a problem in a glow plane. For me the $6 Orange have outperformed the $50 Spektrum 6110E receivers hands down.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About 20 in use here including a very old one of the first HK rcvrs with two ants and two rcvrs built in. One of the 610s in a Twist 40 with no satelite and no problems. Actually the proper phrase is"The proof of the pudding is in the eating" Big difference when you think about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.