Valley View RC Brand Engines

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Valley View RC Brand Engines

ORIGINAL: stephensackro

ORIGINAL: bcchi

BCCHI Does the rod have roller bearings at both ends?

ORIGINAL: wyo69cowboy

Sounds like a nice little motor! That is a sweet lookin' RV[8D]
What a great little motor,got to fly mine for the first time Sat.Have it in Phoenix models Edge. Only got a couple of flights before wind blew us out.Have been running it on test stand to check Ignitions for several weeks.Pops off in four or five turns with choke on.Then starts in just a few flips choke off.Comes with a gen Walbro carb and CM-6 plug.I built my own Ign but they come with the new RCEXL Ign . 4.8 to 7.4 volts.Has a great timing curve,looked at it with timing light.I did advance timing a little over factory. We can do this at our alititude .Gained about 150 RPM.
No dead sticks no tilt and die or burble in mid range.I had it all apart looks good machining as nice or better then DLE.O- No I voided my warranty. LOL.It is not a DLE clone parts will not interchange. Have the big edge ready for first flight with DLE 55 RA.
Our fly in is July 12,13,14th.Try to get John and boys to come down from Powell.
Getting late.
Got to have one of the little VV twins.
BCCHI
Yes needle bearings on both ends.
BCCHI
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased my first two XYZ 20cc's right here on rcu direct through XYZ. These two came with stock XYZ ignitions. I've run a gallon through both of them in my BF -110 twin. I don't have a single complaint besides these first versions taking a little more effort to start. Once VV got involved, the engines have only gotten better. Now with the rcexl ignitions (I also have two VV versions) and them being pre-run, I can honestly say I prefer these over my DLE 20. They start easier, run smoother and the transition is much better. Not to mention they are cheaper, include a real walbro carb, ngk plug and throttle and choke arms. You gotta try these engines.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 PM
kerwin50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they have more power than the DLE 20's
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 AM
SkyPilot101

Is the 40 twin odd or even firing, I thought the offset twins were odd firing but ??? Sensitive to prop strikes, not that ever happened to me!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:47 AM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

Did I hear someone report that the weight of the 40 twin is less or equal to that of the dle 30? Can this be true?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:31 PM
CanCanCase

Well, the 20cc IS NOT exclusive: http://zen.octopusrc.com//index.php?...roducts_id=191
...but at $189 with RCXcel ign and genuine NGK plugs, it's sure a better deal than $200 direct from China.

For the record, XYZ makes the Turnigy (TGY) gassers too... My TGY26 and XYZ53STS twins are great engines if you get them from a reliable source or have Bowman go through them.

I sure hope VVRC stays on top of their quality control and keeps running them before shipping in the US. The XYZ53STS I got from HK had the rear bearing pressed into the case at an angle. Bowman had to machine out the case for a proper fit. My experience with the XYZ20 purchased from VVRC wasn't much better... thing had weak compression and wouldn't hand start to save its life. After the Bowman ring and reed block mod, it starts on the first flip every time. Granted, my XYZ20 from VVRC was one they imported and sold over a year ago. I'm sure now that they're attaching their name, they'll keep a closer eye on things.

-Case
Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Windgap: Yup, that's what I said. Now for the details. My statement is probably arguable. The 40 twin had plugs in it as did the 30. The 30 had stand-offs attached, the 40 did not. The 30 had a single-bolt prop adapter added, the 40 had not yet received one. The photo I posted earlier of the two engines together shows them exactly as they were when I weighed them. I weighed them using a digital fish scale. Probably not ideal, but all I had. My engine didn't come with a manual, so I've no idea what the factory-claimed weight is. Now you know as much as I do.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM
straitnickel

It would be excellent if they did something with the front of those mufflers so they don't protrude through the cowl.
I really believe the only reason for it is it's a cheap way to build.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:25 PM
CanCanCase

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

It would be excellent if they did something with the front of those mufflers so they don't protrude through the cowl.
Why would an engine manufacturer build stock mufflers to not protrude through one particular model's cowl? I have the 53cc twin in a 25% Yak54 - an even tighter fit than the 40 pictured here - and the mufflers fit well within the cowl... then again, a Yak features a round cowl, as does a Sukhoi. I've seen these things mounted in plenty of Edges, Extras and Slicks too... all different cowl shapes, and all make for a great fit.

I think if a guy wanted that particular model with that cowl shape and DIDN'T want the mufflers sticking out, it would be worth exploring one of the many muffler and exhaust specialty companies out there... I know Bisson and Keleo could be persuaded to make something. Heck...how about an XYZ 40cc twin attached to a set of ProFlow canisters? That might be something!

-Case
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM
rcguy59

Straitnickel: I couldn't agree more. After having to remove the right-thrust built in to the RV-4 ARF in order to shoehorn the engine in without cutting holes for the plug boots, I was heartbroken to discover that the mufflers required the cowling to be cut. In fairness to the engine, the cowling on the RV-4 is very tight, more so than most. In the case of an Edge or Extra cowling, it wouldn't be much of a problem. The other thing to consider is that my RV-4 was intended for a .61-.91 glow engine. Hotrodding does have it's drawbacks.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
straitnickel

Yeah, cutting the cowl or buying more mufflers happens to me everytime. I was just saying for those of us with small pockets could have concealed mufflers. Now I'm not knocking this manufacturer, these mufflers look standard to most gassers. It's a hint maybe.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:36 PM
rcguy59

Something that occurred to me when I first got the engine was that one could mount the engine inverted, (carb up) swap the cylinders to point the exhaust ports down, and build a two-into-one header and run a single 40-50-cc canister, or even a pipe. The clyinders fire at the same time, so it COULD work. I doubt it would fit in anything but a radial cowling, though.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
straitnickel

I would like to have a headpipes and canisters someday. VVRC is onto a good thing angleing the sparkplugs to keep the wires inside now if they did a little work on those mufflers they would likely fly off the shelf.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 PM
rcguy59

Can you imagine attempting to stock mufflers in every shape and size for several different engines? That is what the custom exhaust makers are for. For the vast majority of possible airframes that this engine could find it's way onto, the stock mufflers are fine. When it comes to mufflers, we scale-guys seem to suffer the most. For warbirds, I prefer radial powered airplanes. Not sure why, but I always have. 99% of stock mufflers will hide inside a radial cowling. The guys that prefer inline powered warbirds usually have no choice but to pay upwards of a c-note for wraparound compact mufflers. DLE addressed this problem, intentionally or not, with the introduction of their 35 and 55cc rear-exhaust engines. Their stock mufflers fit into almost any warbird. The most you would ever have to do is shorten the stacks. Once these 40cc twins begin selling, VVRC will probably source some aftermarket mufflers for it. The good news is that the muffler bolt-pattern on the 40 twin is the same as the XZY, VVRC and DLE 20cc engines. That makes it a bit easier for the muffler makers.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:58 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is the 20cc going to eventually have the angled plugs? It seems slowly we are getting the perfect engine configuration for these gassers. Rear exhaust, rear carb, and angled plugs. The DLE 35 is it for me. How wonderful it would be to have a 20cc in this configuration? Perfect for Spitfires, and Mustangs. Then this muffler issue is really no biggie.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:49 PM
rcguy59

The cylinders on the 40cc twin interchange left-to-right, they are NOT handed. Since I don't have an XYZ 20 handy, I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure the jugs from the twin will fit the single as well. Once Valley View has a full stock of parts for the twin, you could order an angle-plug cylinder intended for the twin and install it on the 20cc single. A call or email to Valley View will confirm whether or not they interchange.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
WindGap
My Feedback: (3)

VVRC has done their homework to keep the weight down and angle the plugs. Both of which make this engine suitable to more applications.

As long as the weight is similar to that of the DLE 30, I'd be interested and know of target planes, I could put it in. Interesting.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM
rcguy59

As soon as the first batch of twins arrives at Valley View, I'll get a measurement of the total width, ready to run. When I do, I'll post it here. A lot of airframe sellers don't list cowling width or diameter, but most will respond to inquiries. Between the DLE 111, 170 and 222, Valley View is well-versed in multi-cylinder opposed engines.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:27 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That 20 sure seems like an engine one could give some serious thought to about making a purchase.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:30 PM
kerwin50

I sure wish I could get some prop data on a 17/6
Old 03-22-2013, 10:35 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: SkyPilot101

Is the 40 twin odd or even firing, I thought the offset twins were odd firing but ??? Sensitive to prop strikes, not that ever happened to me!
All two stroke twins with a common crankcase fire both cyls at the same time,has to be that way.
BCCHI
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: CanCanCase

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

Why would an engine manufacturer build stock mufflers to not protrude through one particular model's cowl? I have the 53cc twin in a 25% Yak54 - an even tighter fit than the 40 pictured here - and the mufflers fit well within the cowl... then again, a Yak features a round cowl, as does a Sukhoi. I've seen these things mounted in plenty of Edges, Extras and Slicks too... all different cowl shapes, and all make for a great fit.

I think if a guy wanted that particular model with that cowl shape and DIDN'T want the mufflers sticking out, it would be worth exploring one of the many muffler and exhaust specialty companies out there... I know Bisson and Keleo could be persuaded to make something. Heck...how about an XYZ 40cc twin attached to a set of ProFlow canisters? That might be something!

-Case
The DLE 20 muffler fits the Valley View 20 perfectly and you do not have to cut the cowl as much or maybe not at all.
BCCHI
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
denney47
My Feedback: (359)

I will try to answer a few questions as to where we are on these engines at Valley View RC.  We have acquired the rights to the 20cc and 40cc twin engines from XYZ for distribution in the USA.  Over the past year I have been working with them to develop the quality engine we would be happy with and I think we are there on the 20cc.  Last spring when I started this process I was at their factory in China for a couple days working on changes I wanted made to the 20, they were very accommodating to what I wanted and we slowly made changes, tested made more changes and now we have a great product for our customers at a good price.  All engines are now branded VVRC and have a two year warranty.

As for the 40cc I have done the same as above for the 20; changes, testing more changes and more testing.  I believe the engine is where I want it now and have a few on the way.  We are now taking a limited amount of pre-orders for delivery in about two weeks at $395.00 each.  These engines have angled plugs and will fit most if not all 30cc cowls.  They also have the 1/4" X 32 spark plugs and as the 20 a Rcexl ignition.  I will have pictures and measurements on our web site when I get back from the Toledo show.

Thanks for all your good feedback
Tom
Valley View RC
Old 03-23-2013, 03:26 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

The cylinders on the 40cc twin interchange left-to-right, they are NOT handed. Since I don't have an XYZ 20 handy, I don't know for certain, but I'm pretty sure the jugs from the twin will fit the single as well. Once Valley View has a full stock of parts for the twin, you could order an angle-plug cylinder intended for the twin and install it on the 20cc single. A call or email to Valley View will confirm whether or not they interchange.
This might not work too well as the 40 uses 1/4x 32 plugs while the 20 uses a regular CM-6 plug, thus having a different size ignition plug cap.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would think the jugs would have to be handed because of the exhaust ports.

The 1/4 -32 plugs at first glance are a great idea. I think that when new gas engines are designed, making a smaller plug/cap footprint should be at the top of the priority list. It opens up more aircraft for the engines to be installed in. It is a big deal to many flyers, not having to cut up a cowl and expose the plug and cap.

The smaller plug might even be a good idea on the 20cc as these engines are going into a smaller plane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.