Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Q-T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 07:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts
Default RE: Q-T Thread

ORIGINAL: MrGoodwreck Less talk about airbleeds, and more pics!
They will come in time. [8D]

That thing should be covered by now!
I've still got some wing repairs to do before that. Once I'm done with that, the covering goes on very quickly. It is always the preparatory work that takes the longest.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: hllywdb On the other hand I see lots of shiney new planes show up at the field and THEN they try and get the motor running and radio sorted out. George is doing it right!
[8D]
After ensuring a proper running engine and reliable radio gear, I prefer my trial flights alone or with very few. There's no honor in dorking an airplane in the midst of a crowd. [:@]

The fun thing about flying with others, is when you can show them that the plane performs better than expected and is above all, fun to fly.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:49 AM
MrGoodwreck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hllywdb I prefer my trial flights alone or with very few. There's no honor in dorking an airplane in the midst of a crowd. [:@]

< Knock on Balsa> I have not dorked one in since 2002... That beind said, It is NOT about honor...

Its all about the story years later of how you burned in your plane in front of everyone!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
GallopingGhostler

Well, I'd rather leave those stories behind me. mistakes do happen, but sometimes in trying something to push the envelope (including weather, especially winds) allows either success, or another demonstrated Figure-9. It's why it is important to have good repair skills and spare planes to fly.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any progress?
I actually started mine tonight, so the clock is ticking George
Old 03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
hllywdb

Here's proof!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13744.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1864316  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
GallopingGhostler

She's looking good there, hllywdb. Which reminds me, I need to finish up mine, too.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
MrGoodwreck

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

Here's proof!

Very nice!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hllywdb, the cutting looks great.. was that done by lazer or by hand?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
hllywdb

Laser, I'm waaaaay too lazy to hand cut anymore unless I have too. My time is better spent drawing it up, building, and flying than trying not to lop a finger off with an exacto knife
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang..hllywdb, I am green with envy....
Old 03-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Steve Westphal

Who makes the Q T kit? I would like to see what it looks like. Seems like a very popular aircraft. Maybe someone has a good picture of it. Is it an .049 craft?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally, Q-Tee was manufactured by Airtronics, which I believe was a division of Cox. It was designed by Lee Renaud and there was a construction article in RCM (Radio Control Modeler) January 1976 issue. This is the plane that I currently have.

A plan of it is here:

[link]http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1350[/link]

I think hllywdb sent out the plan to have someone laser cut a short kit for him, but he'd be able to give you further details. I don't know of a current kit of the plane, although such may exist.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:14 PM
hllywdb

Steve,
I don't know of anyone currently kitting the Q-Tee as such. I drew up the laser files myself and had it cut. The only thing close right now is a plane from srbatteries called the SR Cutie, but its an electric.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 PM
GallopingGhostler

SR Cutie is patterned after the Q-Tee, but it is larger at 46" span whereas the Q-Tee is 36". I imagine one could do an easy nitro conversion using a modern .09 or .10 Schneurle, or legacy .09/.10/.15 cross scavenge engine. Similar in wing area, its flight characteristics would be similar to Hobby People's (formerly Hobby Shack) The Real Thing.

[link]http://srbatteries.com/cutie.htm[/link]

It is also a little pricey at $100 US, which competes with ARF's. I've seen kit prices go up recently just about everywhere. I guess kits have gone to fewer quantities and have become more deluxe in nature. (It was not long ago that you figured you could use 80 or 90 percent of the wood and template the rest from separately purchased select balsa, and most of the hardware was separately purchased.)

In its own right it seems to be a nice Sunday flier.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:48 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Another plan, from CAD & printed to tiled PDF, so you can print on any letter
size desktop printer. Dead simple to build from scratch.
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ge94304.pdf (284.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
hllywdb

Here you go George. I told you the clock was ticking.

Name:	Eb86607.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1865170  
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM
danilo-2
My Feedback: (1)

Coming along nicely.
However IMO your laser cutter did you no favours. The sheet sides really should be of 1/16'th sheet. Original was unecessarily heavy.
Plus these fuse side pieces should extend Past the firewall, The two cheeks either side of the engine were problematic as add on bits, both in lumpy appearance and fragility.
Do remember to allow a slot/opening in the engine room flloor for the goop to drain.
The sheet rudder and elevator are odd indeed.. and IMO unecessary shortcuts.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM
MrGoodwreck

Buzzkill....[:@]
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: danilo-2 Coming along nicely. However IMO your laser cutter did you no favours. The sheet sides really should be of 1/16'th sheet. Original was unecessarily heavy. Plus these fuse side pieces should extend Past the firewall, The two cheeks either side of the engine were problematic as add on bits, both in lumpy appearance and fragility. Do remember to allow a slot/opening in the engine room flloor for the goop to drain. The sheet rudder and elevator are odd indeed.. and IMO unecessary shortcuts.
I think hllywdb did a good job and it will fly well. The 3/32nd sides will work as long as one doesn't select hard balsa. The cheek cowls were sturdy enough on mine that it was only a Figure-9 that took them out. It depends how you glued them on. A good sanding will prevent the lumpy appearance. Drain hole is common sense. Regarding the sheet rudder, the original was sheet. The shortcut on the elevator was for quicker building, and has lightening holes in it. 30 years a go I used the kit wood, and my Q-Tee flew fine on a Black Widow .049.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 AM
hllywdb

All good points danilo-2
However, let me explain my thinking. If I was going to fly this at the club field I would consider 1/16 sides. This plane will be flown across the street from me at a huge, uncut field. No landing gear and hand launch. Landings often catch a weed at the last instant and spin the plane a bit on touchdown. Plus I am not the most delicate when hand launching .

The lightening holes are not to cut a lot of weight off the plane. As CP has pointed out many times here, if you take all the holes and weigh them it doesn't add up to much. That being said, if you take all those scraps and glue them onto the tail of a plane that already comes out tail heavy, it makes a difference. The Q-Tee tends to come out a bit tail heavy even with a reedie with an 8cc tank. Using a beam mount medallion amplifies that. I rebuit a similar plane about 6 months ago with the same issues. I found that a sheet tail came out lighter and also stood up better landing in the uncut field.

I haven't had too many problems over the years with cowl cheeks as long as I epoxy the cheeks on and cyan the bottoms on with a tight fit. Plus the extra weight up front helps. I'm not trying to build a museum piece here, just a Q-Tee that flys a bit better with light gear than the one I had in the 80's. I'm all about the flying.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 AM
GallopingGhostler

I used a Harry Higley heavy hub for .049, that helped cure the tail heaviness 30 years ago. I guess you could if you wanted drill holes at the landing gear mount location add doublers, a ply bottom and use a rubber banded dural gear. Then it could either be launched with or without gear. I found the Q-Tee flew slow enough that upon dead stick it was usually moving slow enough into the wind that grass was not a factor. Most of my problems came from less than a landing approach (prang!)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
hllywdb

My field isn't grass, it's hay!
I've got pushrod tubes and a little final sanding to do and it's ready to cover. How is your's coming George?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 AM
GallopingGhostler

I'd think hay was even better especially if tall. That'll buffer nearly all crash damage, I'd think.

I've kind of set it aside for now. Am adding the finishing touches to Minnie Mambo, just finished adding Monokote Trim windows so the pilot can see out, just need to sew on rudder hinges and complete the linkage. Once I get back on it, it should go fast. About the only thing that might take a little time to get right is the 1 oz. fuel tank setup for the TT GP07. I'm installing a ply trap door on the bottom for access.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM
hllywdb

Here you go George,
Ready for covering

Name:	Pn35478.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1866519  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.