Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

Old 03-10-2013, 10:29 AM
digitalsmithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

i'd say both, its' more but worth it IMO, i'll be getting it soon...
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM
ban916

I fixed it. Was a micro rock stuck in a gear.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:47 PM
WindyCitySquirrel

Take each of the ball studs off and chuck each one up in a dremel / use 500 grit silicon carbide paper and "polish" off the black coating on the ball studs.

Take one such ball stud, while it's still in the dremel and install each new rod end on it and CAREFULLY = NOT HIGH RPM & NOT FOR VERY LONG - grasp the rod end and turn on the dremel and gently and CAREFULLY rotate the rod end completely = this "breaks in" the rod end.

To fast & too long = you'll melt the rod end internally = toss it...

It works = I've done it. For a little extra slickum you can use a little (LITTLE) powdered graphite as a lube in each rod end cup - Put some in, install rod end, work about, take off rod end tap out excess -

NOTE:
Use a pin to check the apex inside the rod cup incase any of the powdered graphite caked = pick it out!

ORIGINAL: digitalsmithy

I recently putsome RPMrod endson the steering and they're quite snug. much more snug than the blue ones i got a while back.. I noticed about 10 minutes into the first run that the steering gotten really sluggish, to the point it would only turn one way. Should i try toloosen them upor could a more powerful servo do the trick? any ideas are appreciated and servo recommondations!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
digitalsmithy

that's a great idea withthe dremel!thanks squirrel, can always count on you i'll post my results...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM
chawjubs

Hey guys. Ive searched the forums and wasnt able to find anything specific to this qustion so I just wanted to get your opinions.

Ive been building and driving for a long time (almost 15 years). All nitro up to this point. Mostly trucks but I do run a MTX-4 as well. Ive run it in damp conditions and never through puddles but have everything water proofed anyway. 

Fast forward to my new car. I just picked up a Sprint Flux and its my first electric car. I also now live in the SF Bay Area and it rains A LOT.  I know HPI Claims they are "Waterproof" but I have a hard time believing I can go bash this thing around in a puddle ridden parking lot. 

on a side not heres a small vid of my first wreck last night. Not used to working about pillars... hahaha[X(]
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Jcobra

Purchased my son an HPI sprint 2 flux camaro for Christmas. We've only used it a couple times because of the weather. Yesterday I charged both of the batteries for it, I connected the after market battery and there was a spark at the connector. As I was putting the body on the car I began to smell and see smoke pouring from the battery. I immediately dissconnected the battery and pulled it out of the car. By then the wires had melted off the battery but the car seemed to be fine. The only thing i could think was that I crossed the wires (neg/pos). I let it sit for a few minutes and then I connected the battery that came with the car making sure wires weren't crossed. There was a spark and the battery started getting hot and smoking within seconds.  Now I'm out 2 batteries and who knows what's wrong with the car. We've invested $500 into this thing after buying the rapid charger and spare battery and I don't know what to do.  Any help would be greatly appreciated as are new to this hobby.   
Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Car-Tune

How were the wires crossed?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Jcobra

I'm not 100% sure they were, but with the aftermarket battery you have to use a small black connector which makes it possible to cross them. When I used the battery that comes with the car there's no way to cross them because they only fit one way.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Car-Tune

Contact HPI and tell them what happened. Sounds like its possibly a manufacture issue.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Jcobra

ORIGINAL: Car-Tune

Contact HPI and tell them what happened. Sounds like its possibly a manufacture issue.
im going to call them tomorrow, I'm afraid to use the damn thing because of a fire! Is it possible to ruin the ESC by crossing the wires with the first battery?? When I connected the second battery the car never even turned on, it just sparked and started smoking the battery.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM
Car-Tune

I don't understand how the wires could of been crossed. There's no way it could of been tha battery due to that its covered end and it can only be connected one way.

Do this....

Inspect the servo wire and receiver wire. One of them must been stripped by the belt or by the battery holder possibly pinched it and let the cables visible and then made contact.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
digitalsmithy

ORIGINAL: Jcobra

im going to call them tomorrow, I'm afraid to use the damn thing because of a fire! Is it possible to ruin the ESC by crossing the wires with the first battery?? When I connected the second battery the car never even turned on, it just sparked and started smoking the battery.

it is most absolutley possible to fry the esc upon crossing battery wires-i did it. As far as the seocnd battery going i'm not sure, maybe had to do with the esc already being fried. I'd say pick another esc on ebay around 65$ and have another go but contact HPI first i suppose. Even non-nitro can be a money pit but once you learn the ins and outs you'll be good to go.

On a side note, Squirrel i sanded down the ball studs and it worked like a charm my steering is back
Old 03-24-2013, 12:30 PM
digitalsmithy

I don't understand how the wires could of been crossed. There's no way it could of been tha battery due to that its covered end and it can only be connected one way.

Do this....

Inspect the servo wire and receiver wire. One of them must been stripped by the belt or by the battery holder possibly pinched it and let the cables visible and then made contact.

depending on the battery you can cross them because the wirescan unplug from the top of battery (Venom batteries at least)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Jcobra

Do this....

the after market battery has a different connector and can be crossed up. There's no way to cross the one that comes with the car.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Jcobra

Do this....

depending on the battery you can cross them because the wirescan unplug from the top of battery (Venom batteries at least)
A venom is the one I burnt up first.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 PM
digitalsmithy

ha i wonder if you went to the samehobbytown ididbcuz when i went to buy all my stuff they reccomended venom(which i found to be a good brand)

Best of luck.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:09 PM
Jcobra

Lake in the hills, IL
Old 03-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Jcobra

If it is the ESC, how do I remove it? I don't see how it's connected unless its glued on. There's no visible screws that I can see.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM
digitalsmithy

you have to disconnect it from the receiver and the motor.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Jcobra

you have to disconnect it from the receiver and the motor.
i know that, how is it attached to the car??

Old 03-24-2013, 02:17 PM
digitalsmithy

oh hehe a little bit of double sided sticky tape just rip her off.

later down the line you may want to reposition it on top of the upper deck, if you scroll up you can see where i placed mine.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 AM
buzzbuzzard

This is my Falken TirePorsche 911 GT3 RSR with GPM Racing aluminum from Asiatees.com

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX9WSyxXaiM[/youtube]
Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 PM
WindyCitySquirrel

Anyone find a source for the part needed to put sway bars on the Sprints?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Car-Tune

Look like you will need to purchase these 2 different stock items.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBTRP&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXAXEP&P=K
Old 05-06-2013, 03:12 PM
teshi

Hey all, im going to chime in with some photos of my Sprint 2 Drift. First RC car since the 90's so was good fun getting to know my chassis.

The day I got it

5 minutes later...

Had a little OCD and had to clean

Then decided to ditch all of this

After that, I got annoyed with how back heavy the setup was so decided to bit the bullet and go ahead with a front/mid motor conversion

Before

After

Then went brushless

Its not the neatest of builds as I have not cleaned up the wiring but that is in due course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.