Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya JS-2 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 PM
RedMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya JS-2 question

I am considering purchasing one of these, but, I am curious as to what exactly you get for the price tag(that cost more than the Leopard 2A6)? What are the extras and added details? I read the current JS-2 thread, however, it did not go into great detail regarding what is included in the kit. Thank you in advance for your response!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya JS-2 question

Same as all other Tamiya kits, you need to provide tx/rx and battle system should you want them.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 PM
phasor

Hi,

I think the JS-2 is way overpriced. In terms of features and build complexity, it is only at par with previous Tamiya releases such as The King Tiger, Tiger 1, Jagdpanther , Panther, KV-1 and perhaps the Sherman. The M26 Pershing is even more complicated. Surely, it is far behind the Leopard 2A6 (multi-mode fiber optic lighting, bearing-equipped turret rotation system (the best), dual 540 motors, sealed and sophisticated gearbox assembly, translucent main gun tip, rubber-pad tracks, etc.). I have also been contemplating on the JS-2 but can't seem to justify purchase.

Gerry
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM
RedMike

By added features, I meant photo-etch, metal upgrades and detailed parts that would be on par with aftermarket accessories. For the price tag, I figured Tamiya must have elevated their game. I really like the kit and I am seriously considering adding it to the collection. Also, I want to support Tamiya because I would like them to continue producing new kits.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: phasor
Hi,
I think the JS-2 is way overpriced. In terms of features and build complexity, it is only at par with previous Tamiya releases such as The King Tiger, Tiger 1, Jagdpanther , Panther, KV-1 and perhaps the Sherman. The M26 Pershing is even more complicated. Surely, it is far behind the Leopard 2A6 (multi-mode fiber optic lighting, bearing-equipped turret rotation system (the best), dual 540 motors, sealed and sophisticated gearbox assembly, translucent main gun tip, rubber-pad tracks, etc.). I have also been contemplating on the JS-2 but can't seem to justify purchase.
Gerry
I agree 100% I can't seem to justify the price. Although I'm a Tamiya fan, they overpriced this one, this smells like an abuse. After the indecent M51 which made me spend all my wallet just to build a decent one ( the only things useful in the big garbage box were the lower hull, HVSS and turret., as well as the electrics…with wrong sound or course), they could have been so nice Japanese people to make a new tank to a reasonable price.

But if the donkey modeler like me, bought it…. Then why not to follow milking the cow LOL LOL. My 2cts… you know.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I just wonder, if there is another Tamiya tank released, do you think it will be the same price?

I mean if that WWII British tank finally became reality, will most of you pay the JS-2 price tag?

I haven't seen a lot of people flocking to this one as the kits in the past were but do you think a lack of sales will kill the next release?

~ Jeff
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM
CCC2012
Banned

i think i might pass on the js-2 and get the KV-2.....i love that damn ugly tank!!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:16 PM
RC19

I agree you cannot compare the js- 2 to the leopard 2a6 and it is alot more money for less tank .I have canceled my JS-2 order and I am thinking of going with a pershing
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Ronan87

The problem is that...

If the kit is poor/overpriced, people buy it = Encourages the company to do that again.
If the kit is poor/overpriced, people don't buy it = Discourages the company to come up with new releases (or adds delays).

Only thing to do is mass contact Tamiya US/UK and let them know. But we are talking about Tamiya... they mostly care about their Japanese customers.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:47 PM
RedMike

Soooooo.....does that mean there are no photo-etch, metal upgrades or detail-up parts? The Panther, desert Tiger and Leopard have been released with such items. Why would Tamiya go the route of offering less for more money, besides the obvious conclusions we may have? I want to continue to support Tamiya. Even their 1/32 airplane kits continue to push the quality envelope upwards with the release of each new kit. Seriously, are there some extra PE and extra detailing parts included? I may have overlooked in the previous thread.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you mean support like I will let those guys to rip me off then, then the next one will cost US$1200 and will have a Sherman chassis with a Flak88 on.... LOL LOL LOL
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Ronan87

Have you contaced someone that owns one?

ORIGINAL: RedMike

Soooooo.....does that mean there are no photo-etch, metal upgrades or detail-up parts? The Panther, desert Tiger and Leopard have been released with such items. Why would Tamiya go the route of offering less for more money, besides the obvious conclusions we may have? I want to continue to support Tamiya. Even their 1/32 airplane kits continue to push the quality envelope upwards with the release of each new kit. Seriously, are there some extra PE and extra detailing parts included? I may have overlooked in the previous thread.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

From the DAK buildI recall that Tamiya included some metal grab handles for the JS-2. Aside from that, it seems pretty much business as usual aside from the LED/fibre optic lighting, and of course the price.The Tamiya Panther doesn't come with photo-etched grilles (available as an upgrade) however the Jagdpanther comes with it. The Panther is woefully lacking on details and accessories.

If you were spending JS-2 money, you'd get a lot more going with the Leopard 2A6 as previously mentioned.

Otherwise, a Pershing offers you all of the features of the JS-2 (switchable lights, safety feature on transmission, recoil, and great sound) without the price.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:08 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

You get metal lower hull, drive sprockets, idler wheels, suspension arms and brackets, steel torsion bars and Tamiya's well proven transmission systems in addition to the complete DMD/TO drive and sound system. Some after market parts are coming on line, should be available in a couple months if not less.

The prototype tank was quite crude to begin with and didn't have a lot of odds and ends hanging on it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88833.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1866295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh64982.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1866296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27707.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1866297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59379.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1866298  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 AM
wsn123

Old 03-25-2013, 04:08 AM
CCC2012
Banned

ORIGINAL: Panther F

I just wonder, if there is another Tamiya tank released, do you think it will be the same price?

I mean if that WWII British tank finally became reality, will most of you pay the JS-2 price tag?

I haven't seen a lot of people flocking to this one as the kits in the past were but do you think a lack of sales will kill the next release?

you are right....i have not seen any build up reports or reviews....hmmm....

~ Jeff
you are right....i have not seen any build up reports or reviews....hmmm....
Old 03-25-2013, 07:17 AM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

From the DAK club build I can tell you there are some great engineering things with this tank that are worth praising. The idler is modified to fix any spreading issue the KV-1 had. It works with an L-shape bracket in the front to stiffen the bejesus out of the hull. There is great surface texture to the cast areas and the welded surfaces are appropriately cold rolled steel. Many little parts are metal now to avoid breakage as on the KV-1. The Drive train is robust and looks busy but works with little third party efforts.

More to follow as we plan to have one in combat this weekend, but I am putting the build together on the DAK site. The builder has it in paint already so lookout....

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJECTS/JS-2.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57843.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1866390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40288.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1866391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57040.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1866392  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it comes with some PE bits in the box too
Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
CCC2012
Banned

ORIGINAL: edoubleaz

From the DAK club build I can tell you there are some great engineering things with this tank that are worth praising. The idler is modified to fix any spreading issue the KV-1 had. It works with an L-shape bracket in the front to stiffen the bejesus out of the hull. There is great surface texture to the cast areas and the welded surfaces are appropriately cold rolled steel. Many little parts are metal now to avoid breakage as on the KV-1. The Drive train is robust and looks busy but works with little third party efforts.

More to follow as we plan to have one in combat this weekend, but I am putting the build together on the DAK site. The builder has it in paint already so lookout....

http://www.desertarmor.com/DAK_PROJECTS/JS-2.html
very nice.......
Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
RedMike

Thank you for all of the great responses! edoubleaz, that was the answer I was looking for. I asked my eight ball if there is aTamiya JS-2 in my future, it told me "signs point to yes"!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just waiting for them to release the Parts Support List,

AND have them available for purchase on one of my projects.

~ Jeff
Old 04-09-2013, 12:57 PM
CCC2012
Banned

i heard its a very nice kit.....
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 AM
EugeniRUS

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CCC2012

i heard its a very nice kit.....

CCC2012, are you that swindler known before as Kurt Meyer?