Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Your first CL Plane? just for fun

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Your first CL Plane? just for fun

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:12 PM
carddfann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your first CL Plane? just for fun

Cool video! I need to try one of those keychain cameras.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! Info on camera please!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 PM
beafycleats
My Feedback: (12)

Cox PT19 the red and white one...

Grew up in OC California and used to ride my bike to the COX factory and dig trough the trash for the rejects, not good enough for sale. Found all kinds of bits and pieces, you could put complete planes together with the stuff they tossed out. Flew just about every COX plane built, had a knack for getting an 049 to run so I helped all the kids in the neighborhood to fly thier planes as well then moved up to bigger stuff, Ringmaster, Voodo. Then Mile Square park, but it wasn't called that in the beginning, just an emergency runway for the El Toro Marine base. Got bit hard by the RC bug at Mile Square, it was a crime when they stopped us from flying there but a golf course and condos are more important to some than others.

Had boxes of stuff, planes and engines in my parents garage, turned 18 and moved out but before I could get it out of there my dad just decided one day that he needed to clean the garage and threw it all out. So I started all over again, just can't stop...

Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Blue & Yellow Cox PT-19, then a kit built Viper, fast forward 7 years & learned RC on a Goldberg Eaglet, fast forward 25 years & now flying turbines.

Greg Hames
AMA #8130
Old 03-24-2013, 05:09 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

my first CL model was a COX P-40 that a neighbor gave me when i was about 9 years old. Dad and I promptly crashed it. Dad the bought a COX PT19 blue and yellow so we could train to fly. we flew all the COX products of the day, some real dogs. Dad bought a couple of Goldberg kits for me to build The Stuntman and the Swordsman. with these we were able to do good loops and inverted flights.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Mtthwacrss
My Feedback: (1)

I also started with the Cox  PT-19.  next was the Little toot I think by Goldberg.  My brothers and I flew those planes for along time.  I ws wanting to get another but just haven't had the time to mess with them, too busy with my RC.  One of these days I will get one for my grand kids.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM
BtnFlyGuy

If Iwere going to start my grandkids out on something, I'd try a .09 or larger plane with a easily built up wing. They are fun to build, easy to fly and forgiving in a crash. Testors and Guillows both had great designs, though the Testors Sophomore was my favorite; three sizes....09 to .29. The .29 had a solid sheeted wing. Here's the thread...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1250942
Teach 'em well!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mtthwacrss I also started with the Cox PT-19. next was the Little toot I think by Goldberg. My brothers and I flew those planes for along time. I ws wanting to get another but just haven't had the time to mess with them, too busy with my RC. One of these days I will get one for my grand kids.
Brodak sells the Goldberg Little Toot:

[link]http://brodak.com/1-2a-little-toot-kit.html[/link]

(Photo from Brodak's website)

They have modified for a beam mount .049; I don't know if they include provision for the bulkhead mount like Goldberg intended.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86611.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1866482  
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: BtnFlyGuy If I were going to start my grandkids out on something, I'd try a .09 or larger plane with a easily built up wing. They are fun to build, easy to fly and forgiving in a crash. Testors and Guillows both had great designs, though the Testors Sophomore was my favorite; three sizes....09 to .29. The .29 had a solid sheeted wing. Here's the thread... [link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1250942[/link] Teach 'em well!
There is the Goldberg 30" Trainee for .23 to .49 CI ignition engines, but a modern or even cross flow scavenged .09 would work. I bought an E-Bay plan from Hollans two years ago of it.

Here's two others, I have the Cessna kit I'm building now, they are 29 to 30" span planes:

[link]http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2338[/link]

or [link]http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2351[/link]

Using balsa instead of ply, they'd be even better flyers. One must understand that 40 years ago, balsa was in short supply in Japan and very expensive, leading to creating planes out of hardwood. This sort of reminds me of the US during WW2. Balsa was used in real planes as well (portions of tail in some planes).

Name:	Wu59961.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1866484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17976.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1866485  
Old 03-25-2013, 10:36 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: junkjet we flew all the COX products of the day, some real dogs.
But those dogs taught kids new tricks ....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 AM
MrGoodwreck

In the early 80's I traded an (unused) condom that I stole from my stepdads nightstand for a new in the box yellow Cox Sport Trainer II with the Starter kit. Traded it with my buddy Chad, who also was about the same age. He traded the condom to his older brother for a BB gun

My next plane was a Goldberg Lil Satan.

After that I was bit by the RC bug, and picked up a Cox Cessna 182 Skylane with the Sanwa 2Ch Radio. I crashed the Cessna, and was back to UC... I loved those planes, and flew the snot out of them. My mom would get so tired of the noise, that she would let me go to the school to fly just so she did not have to listen to them
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Dzlstunter

Firebaby, then Ringmaster for me. Dzl
Old 03-26-2013, 04:26 AM
Kinner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh! condoms doing double duty... who'd a thunk it.

Me at 16 or 17 with shinny hair piled high. NJ fashions of the '60s

Ray W.

Name:	Jh16511.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1866733  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:09 AM
GallopingGhostler

My high school picture, I had Buddy Holly glasses.

What plane is that you're holding, Ray?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM
Kinner

I want to say a Veco Chief or could be a Super Satin or something like that.  The engine was a VECO .35.   Plane flew quite well.   T'was a long time ago.

Something to the credit of my High School was their support of a model airplane club.  With the sponsor of a couple of Industrial Arts teachers, we had access to lots including Hangar #1 at Lakehurst, NAS and weekend school bus trips to the NATS. 

Ray W.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

About 1954, Scientific Red Flash with Spitzy .045 then on to most of the other hollow logs before finally moving up to much better airplanes with .35's.

John
Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: Kinner I want to say a Veco Chief or could be a Super Satin or something like that. The engine was a VECO .35. Plane flew quite well.
It must be the other one as this is the Chief:

[link=http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=466]outerzone.co.uk Veco Chief Plan[/link]

It's my aspiration to build something of that size.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner About 1954, Scientific Red Flash with Spitzy .045 then on to most of the other hollow logs before finally moving up to much better airplanes with .35's.
Nothing wrong with those Scientific hollow log models, I built a few myself, Li'l Bipe, Li'l Devil (refinished my brother's), Messerschmidt ME109, Cessna 180, have an unbuilt kit Piper Super Cruiser. Would like to build the B-66 Destroyer.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
Kinner

Well, sure as shoot'n it wasn't the Chief.  I had built one long time ago too.  Looks almost like a Lil' Devil Scientific on Steroids.

Ray W.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
GallopingGhostler

Ray, I've seen a plan that looked a lot like it somewhere. It may have been a kit from an Aeromodeler plan. Who knows, I might luck out. If I find one like it, I'll let you know. I had built the later Scientific Lil' Devil, the earlier one had a classic look to it.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Kinner

It was a kit as I was too lazy to cut a bunch of wood.  Note that all my CL models of the day had clipped wing tips as I was not very good at covering wingtips with tissue.

Ray W.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

here is that original Spitzy that I used in all those hollow logs long ago. I somehow hung onto it all these years and not even sure why?

Anyway while I went through many of the Scientifics all of the ones ever avalible to me at the time were not the few build up wing versions in those cool full page magazine adds but the simple plank solid wing, I think it was the same wing on all of them with just slight variations in the logs to make a high wing or low wing. Those were fine for going round and round but that was about it.

John

Name:	Ec88017.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	1866899  
Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

I think that the Spitzy is a classic engine worth collecting, a little rare, perhaps why you kept it? Seems to be a neat conversation piece.

Yes, I know what you mean John. Those Scientifics, in order to keep the costs low enough to be attractive enough, they borrowed bits and pieces from other kits, altering them just a bit to look like a different kit. Those built-ups used the same wing but different tips. The fuselages were basically the same but used a different turtle deck to make it look like the scale model they were trying to represent. The Lil' Bipe, Lil' Devil and a few other open cockpits morphed to share the same fuselage and tail feathers. Ditto for the high wing balsa log fuselages.

To a pre-teen to teen, just having something that resembled a scale model are what dreams are built of. The fact one built it himself, had something that resembled that warbird or civil plane and through the glue smears, paint runs, grain showing through did not deter getting the bugger to fly.

Nowadays you wonder why kids have such identity crisis's and suffer sometimes from low esteem. The ability to work with one's hands gave something to take personal pride in, especially when it flew. It didn't take much for the CL planes to fly. Even though the Scientifics did not stunt well, to climb and dive was rewarding of itself, not to mention landing on the wheels. The making the engines to run and enjoying the noise and smell of nitro was intoxicating of itself, but was good clean fun.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Kinner

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler

Nowadays you wonder why kids have such identity crisis's and suffer sometimes from low esteem. The ability to work with one's hands gave something to take personal pride in, especially when it flew. It didn't take much for the CL planes to fly. Even though the Scientifics did not stunt well, to climb and dive was rewarding of itself, not to mention landing on the wheels. The making the engines to run and enjoying the noise and smell of nitro was intoxicating of itself, but was good clean fun.
That sums up my Grandsons quite well. I showed them the Gullows J-3 their Mother built up when she was 16 y.o. and seems nothing caught fire. I've always thrown stuff at them hoping something would stick besides hand held computer games but alas....

I'll keep trying on the soon to be delivered Great Grand Son.

Ray W.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first powered CL plane was a Ringmaster profile plane with a Fox 35.  I built it sometime in the early 60's.  Of course, it met with many accidents while learning, but repair was just a fact of life back then.

I learned to fly inverted with a Baby Ringmaster and a Cox .049.  One day I decided to try it, so I did an inverted pullout from a wingover and to my surprise, it just kept flying.  It amazed me.

My favorite CL plane was a Shark 45.  Originally it had a K&B 45, but as it slowly gained weight from repairs, I replaced the engine with a Fox 59 stunt.  Although it was a little heavy for really crisp manuevers, it was a showstopper when I flew it.  I'm still tempted to build a new one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.