Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design
Reload this Page >

Large Scale Cub Build 50cc Gas

Community
Search
Notices
S.P.A.D. Aircraft - Coroplast design Discuss the growing area of S.P.A.D.S. (Simple Plastic Airplane Designs). Coroplast type aircraft, pizza box planes, etc..

Large Scale Cub Build 50cc Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM
kevstra22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Large Scale Cub Build 50cc Gas

Thanks Patrick!

The more I look at it the more ok I am with the leading edge of the wings. Your right, it's almost impossible to have 2mil come out with out a few waves here and there.
This thing is huge with the wing on! It's substantially larger than my USS, almost intimidating

I do plan on taking video of the maiden as well as some of breaking in the engine etc.

The next thing I have to do is finish mounting the ailerons and servos. From there I plan to build the struts and cowl.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
draftman1

awesome!!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
pejuve
My Feedback: (54)

Very nice job!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 AM
dmbaerry

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any updates... love to see how it is coming
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Villa

Hi kevstra22
It appears you have abandoned the project. Why not let us know what happened? I still fly my 71" WS Corocub, which weighs 8.5 pounds. On my plane the horizontal stab visible bends in flight, even though I added steel wire struts. I used all 4MM Coroplast on mine. I wanted to suggest that you consider using something MUCH stronger than what I used on my tail surfaces.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:01 AM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Villa
Hi kevstra22
It appears you have abandoned the project. Why not let us know what happened? I still fly my 71" WS Corocub, which weighs 8.5 pounds. On my plane the horizontal stab visible bends in flight, even though I added steel wire struts. I used all 4MM Coroplast on mine. I wanted to suggest that you consider using something MUCH stronger than what I used on my tail surfaces.
I use bamboo type skewers in my tail feathers for re-enforcement. I'm finishing my corocub this month and am setting mine up as electric. Gonna use some of his build methods on mine. This is a cool build! I wish there were updates!
Old 12-15-2013, 01:16 AM
scooty

Excellent build. To all those following this thread I have to ask...This is most certainly a more involved build than you're typical spad which is thrown together with gutter pipe and yard sticks. At this level of involvement isn't it almost as much effort to build a laser cut wood kit like for example Sig's 1/5 cub? Will you not end up with a far better looking plane? Costs aside of course, I understand finishing a wood kit is still far more expensive.

Yes I understand all the advantages of spad aircraft such as easier to build, cheaper, more durable in crashes, fuel proof etc. It just seems that with these more involved coroplast scale aircraft builds, some of the spad advantages start to diminish.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 AM
SPADinfluence
My Feedback: (1)

Even though we may never know the outcome of this build, I think (At least in my builds it is) an exercise in WHAT CAN WE DO with this stuff is the main thought process here. We all know a SPAD won't have the scale look of a balsa or ply model (although my SPADstik looks like a Stik from Great Planes!) but the adventure is more important than the finished product I think. Can I make a giant (Insert plane here) out of this stuff?

Make any sense? It's more about the journey than the destination...

I'm off to build a SPAD whatever!

Last edited by SPADinfluence; 12-15-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: grammatical mess!