Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pilot model kits?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pilot model kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Mooney_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pilot model kits?

ORIGINAL: linclogs
I've built several Pilot kits. In my opinion, there were none better as far as design, quality and durability.
The Pilot Box Fly was my first plane. I still have it but need a new wing for it. Ihooked it on a barbed wire fence on final at the airport and it took a very quick nose dive! Only damage was the wing. It was a foam wing and the Box Fly was 3 channel for a .35.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
triumph72

Hi,

I have just managed to get my hands on a Pilot Christen Eagle - I wanted one of these when I was a spotty oik and have been fortunate enough to get my hands on a kit. Unfortunately there are no wing plans in the box. Does anyone have a set they can scan and send to me or can you put me in touch with someone that has a copy? - I would be more than happy to reimburse! It's the 49 1/2" span model for 40-60 2 strokes.

Regards

James
Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
japo_2
My Feedback: (6)

I need the big Christen eagle for 35cc.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:49 AM
triumph72

Hi,

The previous owner has managed to locate the wing plans so should eventually get round to building it someday - took me 20 years to buy it...

Regards

James
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM
no_spamola

I had a California 28 which met an untimely end several years ago. I have the Hawker Hurricane, but a noobie construction mistake many years ago has halted the build.

Still flying a Q.B.40. It was modified to a tail dragger with an enlarged rudder. Powered by a TT Pro46, perfect match. It flies like it's on rails. A real awesome plane, and one of my favourites! I would buy this model again and any others if they decided to re-release Pilot kits.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:56 AM
k_caller
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
hopefully someone can give me some good tips for securely fastening a Motor Mount to the fuselage, I have a very old Pilot Diablo kit which I have finally decided to build and have reached the Point of attaching the motor Mount.
Basically. Pilot instructions say to build the Mount and then simply butt it up to the Firewall using triangle (basswood) as braces and then place a layer of glass around the Mount.
My Problem is that I am mounting a DA 50 and don't want to take a chance that the Motor Mount will be pulled off- either on the ground or in the air. To me, the entire assembly is much too weak as it consists of
3mm (1/8in) lite ply and the Firewall is 4mm birch but not aircraft quality. The bolting surface for the Motor is about 8mm thick.
This kit was originally made for a Motor in the 30-50cc class primarily using a Tartan twin.
My ideas have amounted to either glassing the Mount using 2 layers of 80gr fiberglass Cloth and then banding CarbonFiber rovings around the stress Points.
Even so, I can only think that to secure it to the Firewall I would Need to heavily glass pieces from the backside of the Firewall to the inside of the Mount. I've also thought about Drilling holes to thread CF rovings through the Firewall and the side walls of the Mount doing a 'sot of' shoelace pattern.
Another idea I'm playing with is to construct vertical pieces of 3mm aircraft ply which Mount to the first 2 or three Formers and extend into the Motor Mount, then glassing and possibly securing with screws.
Needless to say, I would greatly appreciate constructive comments, and ideas.
Building kits from the old days and modifying them to today's Standards is defintely a challenge- not to mention the huge pile of balsa dust in the Basement!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Ryan Smith
My Feedback: (25)

Sorry for digging up an old thread here guys. When did the Pilot/OK Models factory burn down? Is there a catalog of the airplanes that they released over the years? It would be nice to archive the plans so that they are not lost to time. I wonder if their CAD drawings were archived off-site or if they were lost to the fire as well. There were some models that were of particular interest to me such as the Hydeaway 15 and the Bucker Jungmann. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:58 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=2616

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...ilot&Submit=Go

Enjoy! - John.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Sorry for digging up an old thread here guys. When did the Pilot/OK Models factory burn down?"

Years and years ago; before computer back up, and they did not use off site storage. Every thing went, plans, templates, everything. I cried, a lot.

Some Canadian outfit tried to reclaim the name and product, but their offerings were very limited, and mostly the trainer stuff; as I recall

Les
Old 08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
thalis69

"Is there a catalog of the airplanes that they released over the years?"
Actually there are many catalogs printed with the majority of the kits released.I have aquired #19 back in 1987 or 1988 and two more on ebay:#17 and #20 or #21(the late is still
boxed from a moving).
I have started a list containing the codes of the kits that are included in the catalogs for my use,as I build and mainly collect many Pilot kits.I believe that there are a lot
of fellow modelers that have a catalog or kits that would like to contribute and make a true reference list...and why not to start a Pilot brotherhood here on RcUniverse to share experiences and help for future projects.OK company is a historic company such as Sterling,Sig,Graupner,Cox,VK and so many others,that sure worths a place in the Hall Of Fame of our hobby.
Socrates

Old 08-29-2013, 07:20 AM
thalis69

I located the third catalog I have.It is #20,dated from 1990.The list is continued and when I finish it,I will post it in the vintage forum.
Socrates
Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 3 NIB kits of the Christen Eagle I in the .40-.60 size. Also found another kit that is incompetent but has the canopy and cowl with some misc parts.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:50 AM
ferio
My Feedback: (8)

Here's my OK Model Suprafly 25, will maiden someday..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	supra.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	725.7 KB
ID:	1965649  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 AM
CaptRKO
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would part with NIB Christen Eagle kits (.40-.60 size) if someone wants to make me a fair offer. I will ship as well.